From the KnowledgeNews

  • Erhan Berber
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2006
      I hope my friends at Pythagorean-L are enjoying the summer.  I recently found the below paragraphs within an article by KnowledgeNews.

      Baris/Pax/Pais/Peace,

      Erhan

      Pythagoras and the Triangle of Truth

      Pythagoras used math mainly to make a point about religion. Not much is known about his life, except that he was born around 580 BC on the island of Samos. After early philosophical study, sources say he traveled in Egypt and Babylonia, learning what he could of their science and math. Later, he founded a religious school in the city of Croton in southern Italy. There he began preaching that numbers are the building blocks of existence.

      To prove his point, Pythagoras and his followers examined numerical phenomena closely. Along the way, they discovered that a triangle's angles always add up to 180 degrees. They also discovered that, in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the long side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. That, of course, is the famed Pythagorean Theorem.

      Pythagoras' favorite discovery, though, might have been the numerical basis of musical harmony, as harmonious arrangements were critical to Pythagoras' thought. If you take two harp strings of equal thickness, a ratio in length of 2:1 will produce the musical interval of an octave (if the strings are held under equal tension). A ratio in length of 3:2 will produce the musical interval of a fifth.