Re: [Pythagorean-L] Re: paradoxes

  • Larry Rafey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2013
         Much of the problem that persists concerning Zeno is that he is usually misquoted. What he stated was that it is impossible to traverse an infinite number of things in a finite time. In other words, he was not concerned with finding a sum (as in mathematics), but with completing a task with an infinite number of steps.
        It was only much later that this somehow evolved into a mathematical quandary which, fortunately, began an interesting journey into conceptual visualization of time and space (but having little to do with Zeno’s original argument).
        The other problem concerns the way in which we visualize time and space. In Zeno’s time, they were considered as separate entities. Since Einstein, et. al. , they are considered parts of an integrated system.
         So, you are not alone in your concern with this paradox as it has been attacked by some of the best minds in the business but .... we are really dealing with two separate issues: one is a mathematical concept concerning infinite sums; the other concerns what Zeno actually stated, which has little to do with our dilemma. (Zeno would probably look at us with a big question mark above his head!).

      Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:39 AM
      Subject: [Pythagorean-L] Re: paradoxes

      --- In mailto:Pythagorean-L%40yahoogroups.com, "superdean85" wrote:

      > Ok I was wondering if i'm the only one that
      thinks that Zeno's paradoxes of motion cannot be solved mathematically. The reason I ask is due to the fact that I read all the articles about how they were solved using calculus and all yet I see no proof!

      It seems that you are indeed the only one my friend. But good luck anyway.