Orpheus and Anthony Wiener

  • a_pythagorean
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2011
      A lot of things wash into my inbox from Google Mail alerts. Last night, the following gem came in linking Orpheus with pornography and Anthony Wiener:

      "My interest in the latest moral scandal in Washington is more systemic. The ethical failures we have witnessed in recent years illustrate a fundamental fault line in our culture, one which can be traced back in time 26 centuries to a wandering poet whose name you've probably never heard but whose ideas changed our world.

      Six centuries before Christ, a philosopher-singer named Orpheus made the strange pronouncement that our souls existed in a pre-incarnate state. They "sinned," as we would say, and were punished by being imprisoned in our physical bodies. The point of life as he saw it was to purify our souls in this life so they could escape from our bodies at death and return to their eternal home.

      His worldview divided the soul from the body. In his view, the "spiritual" is good, the "secular" bad. This was just one idea among many in the generations before Socrates, but it came to influence a philosopher named Pythagoras. Remember the Pythagorean theorem in geometry? Music majors know something of Pythagorean music theory as well. Why focus on math and music? Because they are immaterial. How much does 7 weigh? What color is a C scale? By concentrating on the immaterial, Pythagoras believed, we cleanse our souls and prepare them to return to their pre-incarnate homes.

      How does any of this relate to Rep. Weiner? Here's the short version: Pythagoras influenced Plato, who influenced the Western world with his distinction between the immaterial world of ideas and the fallen world of "shadows" or forms. Platonic thought influenced Augustine, who divided life into the City of God and the City of the World. And Augustine's Platonic worldview would shape Western culture from then to now.

      As a result, it is conventional wisdom today to separate the spiritual from the secular, religion from the "real world," Sunday from Monday. It is this thinking which enables us to do in private what we would never do in public. Hence the popularity of pornography, which made more money last year in America than Apple, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, eBay and Netflix—combined. During last year's Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, the material most commonly downloaded to mobile devices during the game was pornography."

      http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/6481/9/
    • James McKinnon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2011
        Brett,

        I'm guessing the writer never actually read the Golden verses.

        "11. Do nothing shameful, neither in the presence of others, nor privately;"

        Also, did you guys see Thor?  It was Orphic, and it was awesome.  (The Matrix is really really Orphic too)

        Salus,

        James

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2011
              I say that the only true Platonist after Plato was George Gemistos-Pleithon.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2011
                For the better part of forty years I have researching the Torah esoterically. Many years ago I discovered a 10 x 10 matrix, which I would later trace to Thomas Taylor's work on Pythagoras. This matrix I call the Universal Mathematical Matrix, which was used to build the pyramids, create the Chinese I Ching, the game of Chess, Dante Alighieri used it to structure his trilogy La Divina Commedia, the Sistine Chapel was build and the frescoes and symbols were arranged according to its concepts and the first chapter of Genesis was written and imbued with its numerous concepts graphic images.

                Having learned and written on all this there still remained many perplexing questions concerning the construct of the Torah. Yes, I can show that the matrix was used to structure Genesis but this could be seen as a tool to marshal together in a cohesive form a large amount of data or it can be used as a canonical tool to valid sacred scriptures. Though the matrix was esoteric it still could be seen as the ingenious of man to be able to manipulate a large portion of data esoterically rather than being a precise account of the missive of deity.

                However, irrespective of all this I recently was able to grasp the very rudiments from the Universal Mathematical Matrix the manner in which the GENESIS FORMULA was conceived and thereby writing and structuring the first word of Genesis: BERESHITH. With this discovery came the knowledge that the Hebrew alphabet would have had to be created for the sole purpose of expressing the missive of the transcendent to Western Civilization, which exudes from the MONAD. This is now a given.

                This knowledge directly from the MONAD demonstrates that the Greeks wrote the Torah and thus the New Testament. There can no longer be a doubt that the transcendent (God) wrote the Torah through the medium of the Greek and Egyptian sages.
              • James McKinnon
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2011
                  Bill,

                  I can tell that you like to shy away from controversy.  You always stick to the same stuff everyone else is saying. ;)

                  This is great Bill.  I can't wait to hear more.

                  Salus,
                  James

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 19, 2011
                      Mankind, thy name is stupidity!