Re: [Pythagorean-L] Re: Pythagorean esotericism

  • le_regard@lycos.com
    Message 1 of 58 , Feb 22, 2011
      And just fwiw, if you've understood Plato as the "sum or peak of human reasoning" I recommend the Phaedrus, or the Symposium... or one of the other "erotic" dialogues, like the Alcibiades.

      On Feb 21, 2011, Bill Meegan <williamjohnmeegan@...> wrote:

      Andrew:

      I am not an academic and do not wish to be one. I am a self-educated
      man. Yes, I published academically because that is the only way to
      preserve the idea.

      Plato is a great writer but none of his works matter to me because it
      is basically the sum or peak of human reasoning, which pales before
      the esoteric science.

      My disdain for academia is basically the individual academic not
      going beyond the perimeters of thought that he has confined himself
      to. If he does he is afraid of the flashback from his peers and this
      shackles him to finite understanding of the genre of thought he has
      entered into.

      Plato obviously knew of the esoteric science and he himself wrote that
      he would not enter into writing a book on the mysteries: thus
      demonstrating the limitations of his written works.

      Because you have to look forward to a career you must obtain that
      whimsical PH.D. and I personally have no qualms in anyone reaching
      for the sky in his chosen profession. But once you have that PH.D.
      in philosophy do not end your quest with the limitations of Plato's and other's outward writings.

      Seek for the knowledge of THE SECRETS OF LIFE, which the esoteric
      science codified to ancient literature teaches. The secret to life
      is to ENJOY AND EXPERIENCE LIFE. That may sound as if I am oversimplifying it but essentially that is it in a nut shell. All
      the rest is dressing. However, this is a great deal to learn and reject
      on the road to that conclusion. THERE IS NO GOOD OR EVIL if a person
      is true to himself.

      Morality, ethics and human legal systems are man made control systems
      they are not devine and reason and logic will explain that given. However, humans need such control system to create civilization and I
      am aware of the necessity of such compromises. However, that research
      has been beaten to death. There are no new things under the sun to
      say about it.

      The only other avenue of thought to strive for is to understand the
      difference between the material and the spiritual and why we exist
      in a world that marries these two diametrically opposite trains of
      thought and why this is a necessity. Man could not exist unless it
      was in this world of opposites because he would not have a field of
      reference to live life. Just think about the maelstrom of pure
      thought you would live in an empyrean, which is not for a soul to be
      submerged into. It is not something you or I or anyone else would
      really want though most of us dream of such nonsense.

      There is only one school of thought that I recommend: KNOW THYSELF.
      Research the underpinning of those ancient documents you are so fond of
      and stop taking the surface text as the end all and be all of human
      knowledge. There is no greater school then one's own research: the
      thought and conclusions you come to are priceless. Believe me once
      you have crossed the threshold of reasoning and seen the actual
      existence of this esoteric science you will sell all you have and
      more to obtain this pearl of great price that Christ spoke of.

      Bill Meegan

      Re: Re: [Pythagorean-L] Re: Pythagorean esotericism

      While I have this list in mind... let me say that I'm in my last semester of of a liberal arts B.A. from a school called St. John's College, where we focus on "great books" and original sources and spend a lot of time worrying about Plato. I'm considering graduate school for something like Neo-Platonist or Neo-Pythagorean philosophy, and I wanted to ask if graduate programs like this are really out there? I have four semesters of ancient Greek, though I'd need a refresher course. Any recommendations?

      Andrew

    • Wayne
      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 30, 2011
        --- In Pythagorean-L@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Meegan" <williamjohnmeegan@...> wrote:
        The secret to life
        > is to ENJOY AND EXPERIENCE LIFE. That may sound as if I am oversimplifying it but essentially that is it in a nut shell. All
        > the rest is dressing. However, this is a great deal to learn and reject on the road to that conclusion. THERE IS NO GOOD OR EVIL if a person is true to himself.
        > Andrew
        >

        >THERE IS NO GOOD OR EVIL if a person is true to himself.

        True, but there is more to Good and Evil than meets the eye, thine single eye.

        You left off the descriptive noun that gives meaning to the words Good and Evil, the word Knowledge.

        When it comes to Evil, the Fruit of the matter, the subject matter,
        is the knowledge of Good and Evil that is born of a Single Source;
        Knowledge having a dual quality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge, the Greatest cause of all suffering; Absolutely Bad Knowledge mistaken to be Absolutely Good knowledge as it issues forth from it single source.

        Self being the source, origin, of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is a self that is not true to self, is Duplicitous, Guileful.

        You best believe that the Knowledge of Good and Evil does exist.

        True, if you are not self-deceptive, self being the origin, the single source of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, Knowledge having a dual quality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge mistaken to be Absolutely Good Knowledge, is Knowledge born of a single source, said single source, Individual, not being true to himself.

        The Knowledge of Good and Evil, said Knowledge being the fruit born a single source, Knowledge that is not of a reality that is readily apparent, that is not measurable as to location and momentum in Space-Time, is Absolutely bad knowledge, is not truthful, is duplicitous, has a dual quality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge mistaken to be Absolutely Good Knowledge.

        As Lao Tzu might say;

        Knowledge, as it issues forth from a single source, having a dual quality, being duplicitous, guileful, deceptive, the single source of said knowledge being untrue to himself, the Absolutely Bad Knowledge as it comes to fruition, is made manifest Absolutely Good Knowledge, as it issues forth from the single source, is give two Names, The Knowledge of Good and Evil.