Prayer to the sun

  • Julian Apollonius Corvinus
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
      I've read that the Pythagoreans would pray to the sun three times a day. Does any record of this prayer survive and was the pray made to Helios or Apollo?
    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
        --- In Pythagorean-L@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Apollonius Corvinus" <tckrsmth@...> wrote:

        was the pray made to Helios or Apollo?

        Helios
      • Joe Flower
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
          I'm surprised (or confused).  Without looking anything up, I would have assumed the answer would be Apollo.  Pythagoras was a patron of the god Apollo and the mythology that surrounds him holds that Apollo "fathered" him, which was evidenced by his golden thigh.  Am I wrong or is this not relevant here?

            > I'm surprised (or confused). Without looking anything up, I would have assumed the answer would be Apollo. Pythagoras was a patron of the god Apollo and the mythology that surrounds him holds that Apollo "fathered" him, which was evidenced by his golden thigh. Am I wrong or is this not relevant here?

            I have to apologize. I just answered the question without knowing the answer.
          • leslie greenhill
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009

              P.O. Box 314
              Mentone, Victoria 3194 Australia
              Email: neoplatonist2000@...

              > I'm surprised (or confused). Without looking anything up, I would have assumed the answer would be Apollo. Pythagoras was a patron of the god Apollo and the mythology that surrounds him holds that Apollo "fathered" him, which was evidenced by his golden thigh. Am I wrong or is this not relevant here?

              I have to apologize. I just answered the question without knowing the answer.
              That sounds like a kind of wisdom.
              Les

              Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7. Enter now.
            • Wayne
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
                --- In Pythagorean-L@yahoogroups.com, leslie greenhill <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:

                > > I'm surprised (or confused). Without looking anything up, I would have assumed the answer would be Apollo. Pythagoras was a patron of the god Apollo and the mythology that surrounds him holds that Apollo "fathered" him, which was evidenced by his golden thigh. Am I wrong or is this not relevant here?
                >
                > I have to apologize. I just answered the question without knowing the answer.
                > That sounds like a kind of wisdom.
                > Les

                I am not completely in the Dark when it comes to Sun Worship.

                The Sun is the Light unto the World, the World of Reality as it exists in the Light of Day, Reality that is readily apparent, measurable as to location and or momentum is Time and or Space, Reality as it exists independent of our Ideas, conjecture, speculation, Theory, concerning it; the Knowledge of said Reality as sensed by the Flesh Body, Empirical Knowledge, is Absolutely Good Knowledge.

                When the Day was separated from the Night a Second Great Light was separated out from in between Night and Day, said second Great Light being Twice Light, Twice Light being some what Dark in nature;

                1. the soft, diffused light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, either from daybreak to sunrise or, more commonly, from sunset to nightfall.
                2. the period in the morning or, more commonly, in the evening during which this light prevails.

                Twice Light being a state or condition in which uncertainty, vagueness, or gloom, prevails.