RE: Need advice...

  • venita mcmorris
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2012
      Unfortunately, not all vets are up on Felv testing.  I'm speculating here, but it seems like particularly vets that are basically dealing with well kitties who come in for annual exams or sometimes get minor illnesses or end of life illnesses, may not know about the testing protocals.
      I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the vet doesn't regularly deal with rescued cats who most rescue groups ask to be tested for fiv/felv, the vet may not know about the prevalence of false positive results on the combo tests that are done inhouse.  The most accurate testing is at the lab.  You could start with the lab testing on Elisa.  If it's negative at the lab, you really don't need to test any further with the IFA.

      Venita

      To: PurringPixieCatResource@yahoogroups.com
      From: actomai21@...
      Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 08:37:05 -0400
      Subject: Re: Need advice...

      Do you know what kind of test your previous and current vets were doing to test for FeLV? If they are all SNAP or ELISA or the Indexx Combo, then there is absolutely a chance that it could come back as different results. The IFA test is the only conclusive test as it is not a blood stain, it goes to a lab where they look to see if the virus is multiplying in the bone marrow, in which case there is no chance that the cat will fight off the virus. In some cases a cat will have an effective immune response to the virus and will "fight it off" and then test negative.

      I would find out what kinds of test are being done. Generally the blood stain tests are only $40-$60, whereas the IFA test is 100= because it has to go to a lab for testing. I am including some links I read when I took in a stray that tested for FeLV. I would suggest doing some thorough research on both your vets. I would also suggest joining this group if you are on Facebook, if anything someone might be able to direct you to a very reputable vet.

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/2247554194/

      http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/felv.htm
      http://www.lbah.com/feline/felv.htmlhttp://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

      On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM, fighting4gracie <jarodriguez0607@...> wrote:

      Hello,
      I joined this group a couple years ago when my cat, Gracie, was diagnosed with FELV and an auto-immune disease (causes her to be anemic).
      Two years ago, when she was diagnosed, they tested her multiple times. I went and got a second opinion who tested her again and confirmed. The last two years, she has been doing pretty well as she lives on high doses of medicine.
      I had to move to a different state last month and with that comes a new vet. Of course I don't trust him yet, I've only seen him 3-4 times, but he has removed her from all her meds and put her on others completely different from the last two years. He also does NOT believe that she has FELV and has even gone as far to say she is no longer diagnosed with it. He did an FELV test again today and it keeps coming back negative?!?!

      I'm so confused.... he claims that the last two years of medicine is really what is making her sick (lowering her immune system) and that she has something else wrong but not sure what...all he knows is that it is not FELV or the auto-immune diagnosis she's had the last two years.

      First off, WHY would the tests come back negative for FELV so many times now and two years ago they were definitely positive? Second, if this new vet is speaking any truth, have I really been making my cat sick for the past two years? Last, I'm so sad to say that after THOUSANDS of dollars spent on this precious baby, I am out of money and can no longer afford all the testing. The vets may disagree with each other on her diagnosis, but in order to get answers, it requires testing which I can't afford anymore! I want to help my baby so much my heart hurts and I'm in tears, but I can't afford to get answers anymore! My heart rips out of my chest everytime I think about putting her down when she could now all of a sudden be a healthy cat?!

      I'm exhausted and cried out.... anyone else have a similar experience with their cat? Any advice? Thank you!

    • fighting4gracie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2012
        Hi,

        Thank you for the response. I'm thoroughly confused, but what I am going to do next is ask this current vet to do the ELISA test and see if that changes the negative. It'd be very weird if it came back negative when it was positive two years ago. But I don't care, I just want some answers.
        I take her again tomorrow to the vet, so I will ask him to do the ELISA test (send out to a lab).

        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2012
          By the way, I forgot to add in my original post that this new vet is absolutely convinced that she has hemo bartonella? My vet for the last two years doesn't believe that. When I got the two of them to talk, they basically concluded that they are confused about Gracie and that their speculations will have to agree to disagree. :(