Re: [PulseDiagnosis] Is Herbs required in treatment?

  • Paul Grammer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7, 2013
      Two days ago, I had a patient with a boil/abscess on the apex of his ear.  Two days prior to that, I had picked some wild honeysuckle flowers (Jin Yin Hua), and let them dry.  I cleaned the abscess with water and a cotton ball and bled the apex of his ear.  I formed a bolus (about the size of an aspirin tablet) of those freshly dried, local honeysuckle flowers and fastened it directly to the wound with a Band-Aid and instructed my patient to leave it on "until tomorrow".  The next day, I removed the bandage and the leftover spent herb and there was no sign of infection.  Yes, I think local, (local to the patient's residence), fresh herbs are better medicine than the processed and packaged herbs one buys from a supplier.  No need to overthink it.  USe what you know and what you have in front of you.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2013
        Thank you very much Will,

        I am learning a lot, i am actually new to this and i have learnt acupuncture in the past few months and started treating, i would be really interested in learning the herbs as well. I think i need to check out here locally but i doubt i would find someone here. If you are aware of someone do let me know.

        Regards,

        Acu Healer Noor

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
          thank you Paul,

          is there any book available on the internet where i can learn this treatment, I am not sure if all the herbs are available here in India. Let me know if there is any globally accepted book.

          Regards,
          Acu Healer Noor

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
            You're welcome.

            I was very fortunate in my training in Oriental Medicine in that Herbal treatment of disease was strongly emphasized and encouraged.  I can tell you about the texts I used in my training and the ones I continue to study.

            1) Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica and Chinese Herbal Medicine: Formulas and Strategies by Dan Bensky  These are comprehensive, large and detailed texts and the herbs are organized by category)
            2) The Chinese Herb Selection Guide by Charles A. Belanger  (very useful especially when prescribing herbs for Western Medical conditions as well as Oriental Medical patterns)
            3) Pocket Handbook of Chinese Herbal Medicine and Pocket Handbook of Chinese Herbal Prescriptions by Zong Lan Xu.  (These two texts are easy to use, portable and affordable)
            4) Chinese Medical Herbology and Pharmacology  and Chinese Herbal Formulas and Applications by John and Tina Chen.  (Herbs are organized alphabetically by Pinyin name which makes them very handy and easy-to-use detailed reference texts.)

            I have many others that I study but these are the ones I use the most.  You can find them all, (I think), on amazon.com

            I hope this helps.  Email me directly if I can be of any other help to you.

            Warm regards,

[...]

          • Mercurius Trismegistus