Re: [PulseDiagnosis] Reference Book for Western Herbs

  • Luke Terry
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 27, 2013
      Z'ev, and Will,

      Perhaps one or both of you can direct me towards some well-reasoned and thorough review of Holmes' EWH volumes. I was not aware of the flaws of this work, and I use these text extensively and have found them invaluable in integrating both western and local herbs into my practice.

       While the EWH books may not be perfect, to my knowledge no one else has attempted such a comprehensive TCM classification of western herbs. The Gannon work looks quite intriguing (I have added it to the queue,) but it still doesn't seem to occupy the niche that Holmes has filled, however imperfectly.

      Classical Chinese herbalists had the luxury of freely reprinting older texts, with additional commentary and refinement so that each successive generation of herbalists adds to and improves the body work.  We are to some degree limited by modern concepts of intellectual property and copyright. Nonetheless, it seems clear that there is a niche for an evolution of the EWH text that addresses its shortcomings.

      On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Z'ev Rosenberg <zrosenbe@...> wrote:

      Will,

         Thanks for the tip!  I got a copy of an early translation of The Canon of Medicine 30 years ago, glad to hear there is something new out there.  Thanks to your tip, I've order Bakhtiar's excerpt from this work on the pulse, and if I like it, I'll order the Natural Pharmaceutical volume.  A bit expensive for me right now. .

      Z'ev Rosenberg

      On Jan 27, 2013, at 2:03 AM, William Morris <wmorris33@...> wrote:

      I agree w/ Corey, Chris and Z'ev,

      PDR is a pretty good consensus document. Holmes has had substantial criticism amongst senior practitioners East and West.

      Corey, Thomas Avery Garron's book is very high quality and reliable information that is very well presented.

      My new favorite, just got it: The Canon of Medicine Volume 2: Natural Pharmaceuticals
      Avicenna (Author), Laleh Bakhtiar (Editor). It reminds me of my trip to Italy in 1993 to review the pharmacies in the basilicas. There was not a single agent that did not occur in the Chinese pharmacopoeia. Early Perian medicine was essentially a melting pot of Greek, Ayurvedic and I believe also CHinese work.

      Warmly,

      Will

      --
      William R. Morris, PhD, DAOM, LAc
      http://pulsediagnosis.com/

      This message, including attachments, contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. Any use by others is strictly prohibited. Do not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake, and delete this email from your system.

      Z'ev Rosenberg, L. Ac.
      Chair Emeritus/Resident Scholar
      Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
      San Diego, Ca.

      --
      Luke J. Terry, MTOM, Dipl.Ac, L.Ac.

      Acupuncture
      Herbal medicine
      Nutrition
      Functional Fitness
      Health Education & Curriculum Design

      (303) 653-1420

    • matthew
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hey Luke, just noticing this thread. Probably the best book on combining Western herbs with Eastern Medicine, are Jeremy Ross's works.
        There was the first volume: "Combining Western Herbs and Chinese Medicine" and now he has a 2nd volume out "Clinical Materia Medica".
        Both are available from Eastland Press.
        The first volume is prob the one you are looking for. It is set up like Bensky's herbal and has lot of two herb combinations, modifications that are interesting to think about. On the other hand, as a student and friend of Michael Moore, and as a reader of older Eclectic material and Homeopathic texts, there is a lot in this book I could be critical of.
        For instance, Ross only uses and recommends dried plant Lobelia and seems to indicate that he gets great results from this preparation. Try it your self and see how it makes you feel, its NOT great medicine.
        But the text has other things that make it of value, esp if Chinese Med is your thing and you are curious about local plants.

        all bests

        Matt Haug LAc
      • Luke Terry
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
          Matt,

          Thanks for the reference, sir. I will look into Ross's books ASAP. I'm always looking for great books on local & western herbs to use with and compliment TCM herbs. I'm not a fan of lobelia, but I work with a western herbalist who swears by it in very specific instances. And as you implied, self testing has a long and honorable history dating back to, and far predating our own Sheng Nong.

          Cheers,

          Luke

          On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM, matthew <matthaug2002@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Liat Makmal
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 15, 2013

            Hi,
            I need referral in Bellevue Washington
            If anyone know someone to treat alcohol addiction recovery.
            Thanks
            Liat Levkovitz

            .