Cun Kou and Chi Cun pulse positions

  • Igor
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 14, 2012
      Hi everybody, here is a small video explaining difference between Cun Kou and Chi Cun positions in acupuncture pulse diagnosis according to NanJing

      http://youtu.be/TsyISFsx9XQ

      http://www.acutepuncture.com/prevention.html

      Best Regards
      Igor Simonov
      http://www.acutepuncture.com
    • Live in Harmony
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2013
        Dear All,

        Couple of days a go i found strange radial artery.
        Left hand the artery is split make a branch for guan to cun.
        Anyone have any idea what is it mean in TCM perspective?

        Thank you so much.

        Regards

        Henry LKF
      • William Morris
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
          Hi Henry,

          A bifurcation of the radial artery that far proximal may be considered from a few points of view:

          1. anatomical anamoly  - there are no therapeutic implications
          2. near death experience
          3. severe depression

          As detectives in a subjective and locally built knowledge base, we must discover why such a condition exists for this patient. The 3 considerations above are not meant to limit the possilibites, rather, they are a departure point for inquiry so that you may dsccover the meaning of this event for this patient.

          I must ask whether any of the branches extend upon the palmar surface.

          Happy New Year All!

          Warmly,

          Will

          --
          William R. Morris, PhD, DAOM, LAc
          http://pulsediagnosis.com/

          This message, including attachments, contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. Any use by others is strictly prohibited. Do not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake, and delete this email from your system.
        • livein_harmony@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
            Hi Will,

            Thank you so much.
            The branches are only two.
            It started from guan to cun only.
            Not exceeding the fish margin.

            Warm regards

            Henry
            Sent from my BlackBerry®
            powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT

            From: William Morris <wmorris33@...>
            Sender: PulseDiagnosis@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:01:15 -0600
            To: <PulseDiagnosis@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: PulseDiagnosis@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [PulseDiagnosis] Radial Artery

[...]

          • Simcha
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
              Hi Will,
              This q/a calls to mind another question I've had - I know I've seen something on this but can't recall: what might one make of a cun pulse diverging toward the ulna and extending up over the base of the thenar eminence? I see this occasionally, usually either floating or bounding...
              Warm regards,
              Simcha

              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

            • Igor Simonov
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                Hi Henry
                Radial artery gives carpal branch at level of styloid prosessus and before entering into wrist gives another superficial palmar branch. It is not abnormally any way it is normal anathomy. You may watched my wideo about cunkou
                Archaic Chinese language already give an explanation about cun position where pulse is taken (1 cun under the wrist) same archaic Chinese language ( see video) write kou as bifurcation, as there are not any more rAdial artery at all, there are only branches. So now is the question if your guan is one cun under wrist as TCM uses so you are exactly on normal bifurcation of radial artery
                Regards
                Igor
                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Hi Simcha -

                  Shen and Hammer call it a 'special lung pulse'. It is the superficial palmar artery and that is what I call it, primarily because there are other interpretations besides the lungs. Significance relates to:

                  1. nothing, it is anatomical

                  2. history of pulmonary conditions:
                      a. smoking
                      b. recurrent infections (bacterial, viral, fungal) - potential indicator for latent pathogens.
                      c. allergies
                      d. asthma
                      e. chemical exposures such as working in a perfume factory

                    3. Jimmy Wei Chang gives it for a Yin Wei pulse. I disagree and go with Wang Shu-he on that, requiring confirmation by a radially displaced pulse in the proximal position.

                  Warmly,

                  Will

                  On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Simcha <simchagottlieb@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Z'ev Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                    In SHL pulse diagnosis, it is usually seen as a tai yang, surface pattern, replete. .

                    Z'ev Rosenberg
                    On Jan 4, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Simcha <simchagottlieb@...> wrote:

[...]

                    Z'ev Rosenberg, L. Ac.
                    Chair Emeritus/Resident Scholar
                    Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
                    San Diego, Ca.

                  • Kayvan

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                        HI Kayvan,

                        I require an ulnar displaced feature in the distal position and a radial displaced feature of the pulse in the proximal position. This intimates a tranverse presentation of the pulse which is not apparent by merely turning the wrist.

                        It is not necessary for it to be on both wrists.

                        Warmly,

                        Will

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                            Dear Igor,

                            Thank you.
                            My guan checking is exactly 9 fen under the fish margin.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                              Dear Will,

                              Thank you.
                              Yes I read it before that the the radial pulse going to palm might relate to the history of lung problem genetically.
                              Is it also apply to the left radial pulse?

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 5, 2013
                                Hi Kayvin -

                                That is correct. Shen considered both the left and right superficial palmar arteries (SPA) to be what he and Hammer called the 'special lung pulse' (SLP).

                                It is interesting to hear Z'ev identify it as a Tai Yang pattern which makes some sense to me, especially given the pedigree of Z'ev's lineage. I usually depend upon a floating distal position if not the whole pulse floating in order to designate a tai yang feature from the Shang Han Lun view.

                                Shen and Hammer have it (SPA) as an indicator of historical exposures, using the primary positions for the evaluation of current conditions.

                                Nice inquiry to start the new year!

                                Warmly,

                                Will

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 5, 2013
                                  Simcha,

                                  In Jimmy Chang's methods this is a Yin Wei Pulse and it means that there is coronary artery disease, chest oppression and a few other problems in the chest.

                                  Eric

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
                                    One of the exciting things about Chinese medicine in general and pulse diagnosis specifically is that we can interpret the same pulse findings from different perspectives/lineages/lenses to enable us to see a grander picture. A facility with this process, I find, is instrumental in the clinic. So, from the special lung pulse, we can interpret tai yang pathogens, wei qi activity, 8xv patterns (with other parameters), history of respiratory functioning/illnesses, etc. as already discussed.

                                    It is also used to diagnose current pathology, both in the lung and elsewhere. We can also use the anatomical nature of the position to image exactly where the pathology is occurring.

                                    I often use the special lung pulse as a strong indicator of overall chest pathology, specifically including the health of the breasts. Breast cancer is often diagnosed from certain pathological findings in this position (and often combined with other findings elsewhere), and is highly accurate (and often diagnosed well before mammograms, etc.) which gives a chance of correcting the pathology prior to western interventions. There are qualities that are suggestive of an active neoplastic tumor, or an active process in which the cancer can/will manifest over a specified period of time (of course depending on many factors).

                                    This kind of investigation looking at qualities from different angles in all pulse positions is a highly useful tool...

                                    Best,
                                    Ross

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 6, 2013
                                      These are good points, Ross

                                      I have come to the conclusion that pretty much anything that affects circulation in the chest cavity, especially over time, can affect the size and presentation of the superficial palmar artery.

                                      It appears as though your teaching cohort is coming to similar conclusions. It also appears the temporal assumptions regarding the special lung pulse vs the primary distal positions is changing. That is also good.

                                      Warmly,

                                      Wil