Re: Jimmy Chang's pulse book (Pulsynergy)

  • Chris Kresser
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
      Thanks for the insight, Will. I do plan to take one of his Lotus
      seminars, but I thought it might be a good idea to read his book
      before I attend. The seminar is in June so I've got some time :)

      Best,
      Chris
    • fosterryanlac
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        Jimmy Chang learned at a hospital in Taiwan. He wasn't yet a
        practitioner I believe but he got privileges to walk around the
        hospital into all the different wards. Instead of the normal approach
        to the pulse of learning from the classics and theory and then
        extrapolating the western diagnosis, he reversed the process. When a
        patient in the hospital had a 'western condition' he would feel the
        pulse and then note its features. He would see many of these
        conditions and find what they had in common. He then correlated his
        observations with chinese theory. In terms of theory he is very into
        reading the Neijing. He uses his pulse diagnosis, observation of the
        forearm as in the Lingshu, and auricular diagnosis, along with blood
        pressure/pulse rate examination done by an automatic machine on his
        desk.

        --- In PulseDiagnosis@yahoogroups.com, "chriskjezp" <chriskresser@...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone read this book? I recently heard of Mr. Chang from
        someone
        > who uses it very successfully in his practice. I searched here and
        > found a few threads a while back, but not much in the way of
        > information. Has anyone read Mr. Chang's book, Pulsynergy? Where
        > does his system come from (what is it based on)?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chris

      • chriskjezp
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
          --- In PulseDiagnosis@yahoogroups.com, "William Morris"
          <wmorris33@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris -
          >
          > You can study with Dr. Chang through Lotus Institute. The work is
          practical.

          Is there any other way to get hands-on experience with Dr. Chang? I
          see that his "hands-on" seminar with Lotus is $375 for one day.
          Yikes! His other seminars with Lotus, which are more didactic in
          nature, are $150/day or $200 for a weekend which is more in the
          "normal" range.
        • fosterryanlac
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
            Yes. You can sit with him at his side at $200 for 5 hours at his
            office. However, it is worthless to do that if you haven't studied his
            books carefully and taken classes with him. He uses many unique herbal
            formulas and herbal pairs. Many of the herbs he uses are Taiwanese or
            other obscure herbs you've never heard of. He uses approximately 100
            formulas not in the state board lists, approximately 40 of which
            aren't even in Bensky. About 50% of the herbs he uses aren't state
            board herbs, many of which, again, aren't even in Bensky. Maybe 90% of
            his Dui Yaos you will never have heard of. The only place you can read
            about much of his method is the Ling Shu. And he does all of this with
            only 8 minutes per patient visit which includes chitchat time,
            diagnosis, and formula writing. In other words, take the Lotus classes
            first to start coming up to speed, study the book, then take the
            workshops. Don't try to skip steps, it will only cause you to drown.
            Just save up your money and do it right. By the way, you will probably
            need to get on the list for those expensive classes a year in advance
            because they fill V
          • fosterryanlac
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
              By the way, in addition, it is important to understand that, although
              Jimmy Chang teaches Pulse, the reason that he uses the pulse is that
              he uses it for diagnosis for herbalism. He is a genius, mad scientist
              herbalist. The Chens, who wrote the Clinical Herbology and the new
              Formula book, think he is great and quote him frequently in the
              formula book. When you study with him you are studying herbalism from
              a master. It's a package deal. The formulas, by the way, in the
              pulsynergy book are not the ones he uses today. Those are more like
              the board exam list of formulas for beginners. He also combines
              formulas (called 'fang jia fang') and/or adds Dui Yaos to all the
              formulas. He is always deriving from principles he has found in the Su
              Wen and elsewhere, not from American textbooks.