Re: [PulseDiagnosis] Science: "The Religion of the Age."

  • Eric Waltemate
    Message 1 of 99 , Jul 26 8:07 AM
      I believe I remember seeing a news segment (caveat emptor) in which a girl (a literal child) debunked a lady's Reiki powers by having the lady guess which hand (inserted through a screen) was placed over the Reiki practitioner's hand.

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9533499

      http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/tt2.htm

      I think that if appropriate controls are used, then there should be no problem with paranormal phenomena.

      From: Mercurius Trismegistus <magisterium_ magnum@comcast. net>
      To: PulseDiagnosis@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 6:02 PM

      Eric Waltemate wrote:

      So Francis Bacon, at the turn of the 17th century, during the reign of Charles I, was trying to overthrow Spirituality in England? Do I have this right?

      MT: That doesn't necessarily follow.

      And, yes, science does not give us the truth, that's philosophy's job. But science is the best method to show us what is false.

      MT: I wouldn't even go that far.
      Mercurius Trismegistus

    • Eric Waltemate
      Message 99 of 99 , Aug 8, 2008
        So the girl influenced the Reiki practitioner and THAT'S why the practitioner was wrong most of the time?

        Is that what you'd have me believe?  As far as I know, in the scientific method the examiner is supposed to be skeptical of the subject s/he is studying.  That includes pharmaceutical drugs.

        I think this may have been the study that the girl was the daughter of a well known "disbeliever" and therefore, premeditated the outcome of the study via teliology... ......nothing came out being other than as she and her father believed.... .......therfore understanding Dr. Deepok Chopra's views on teliology... ..that you predetermined the outcome of your research makes it hard to understand what is trully double blind!

        Sincerely,
        Patricia Jordan DVM,CVA,CTCVM & Herbology

        To: PulseDiagnosis@ yahoogroups. com

        Eric Waltemate wrote:

        That's what I was trying to get out of the message.  In the previous message the person wrote that the scientific method was specifically designed to debunk all spirituality.

        So Francis Bacon, at the turn of the 17th century, during the reign of Charles I, was trying to overthrow Spirituality in England? Do I have this right?

        MT: That doesn't necessarily follow.

        And, yes, science does not give us the truth, that's philosophy's job. But science is the best method to show us what is false.

        MT: I wouldn't even go that far.
        Mercurius Trismegistus

        With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.