Cotton

  • WMorris116@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2000
      One of the functions of Qi is movement.....

      Wei Qi circulates....it stands to reason that among it's patholgies could be
      stagnation, even if there are no historical commentaries surrounding the
      issue.

      A few posts back I commented on the lack of herbal indications referring to
      Wei Qi stagnation. This brings into further question whether the notion
      existed historically.

      At the moment the conversations about Ying Wei are incomplete. Zhang
      described it in the context of Damage by Cold with a farely circumscribed set
      of signs and symptoms.

      Lonnie brought forward some modern day notions that have aslo been proferred
      by Kaptchuk, that were purportedly ascribed to Sun Si Miao.

      Potential pathology: deficiency, disharmony, stagnation, not [reversal,
      prolapse]......
      if these are pathologies of Qi, then why not Wei Qi, at this point any of the
      Chinese staffers here will look with disdain "because it's not"........Why
      Not? Was it ever questioned? No!!!

      Will
    • WMorris116@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 2001

        Clarification on the Cotton quality:

        The importance of any pulse image is the inquiry that one generates in
        response. No one quality has a single interpretation. One could say for any
        pulse image, there are many possible interpretations and for any
        interpretation, there may be different pulse images.

        Dr. Shen calls it a Yu pulse, and he interprets this as sad.Dr. Hammer often
        describes it as representing those who are “leading lives of quiet
        desperation”. These are not the only possibilities. The sensation is a result
        of damp accumulation and stagnation of Qi in the Wei portion. These events
        may be due to Spleen Qi Xu resulting in increased humidity and Qi stagnation
        in the superficial regions. It may be due to Kidney Yang Xu  to transform
        fluids. There may be a deficiency of Wei Qi; the Yuan Qi from the Kidneys
        combusts with the Gu Qi of the Spleen and the Zong Qi which is derived from
        Da Qi to generate Wei Qi. Any one or more of these components may be a factor
        in causing a cotton pulse (Lu, K or Sp Qi Xu).

        Insufficiency of Ministerial Fire may be a culprit. This Ministerial Fire
        travels in the Shao Yang, a portion of which is the San Jiao channel where
        points of the Yang Wei are found, especially the master point. If the Yang
        Wei pulse (traveling transversely from the radial aspect in the distal to the
        ulnar aspect in the proximal) is also found, the function of the Yang Wei is
        diminished in its capacity to connect the Yang. This occasionally presents
        with a cotton pulse and is especially important if the patient has no sadness
        or depression.

        Will
      • Cara Frank
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2001
          Will,
          I just re read my response from last night. I hope it's clear enough, but
          if not, let me know. It's obvious from what I wrote that was too tired to
          think cohesively-

          caveats
          Cara
        • Ivan
          Message 4 of 16 , May 22, 2001
            I was taking A.'s pulse in a very relaxed atmosphere - as we are friends.
            Suddenly I felt the Cotton quality without any doubt in the left distal position.
            He has an abnormaly high triglyceride counting (over 800!!). The Doc. said
            it is some kind of constitutional thing... (I don't know).  Can this Cotton pulse
            be related to this high counting - besides the so called "quiet sadness"?
            -ivan-
          • TashiDelay@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , May 22, 2001
              In a message dated 5/22/01 2:54:39 PM, inandor@... writes:

              << I was taking A.'s pulse in a very relaxed atmosphere - as we are friends.

              Suddenly I felt the Cotton quality without any doubt in the left distal
              position.

              He has an abnormaly high triglyceride counting (over 800!!). The Doc. said

              it is some kind of constitutional thing... (I don't know). Can this Cotton
              pulse

              be related to this high counting - besides the so called "quiet sadness"?

              -ivan-

              Ivan -
              My understanding of the cotton pulse is that it begins in the left distal
              position..and if not rectified continues to fill the left side positions
              taking approximately 7 years
              It takes another seven years to become present in all of the positions on the
              right side. So, in my humble opinion, this 'quiet saddness" is fairly recent
              robbee