Restoration – Evaluation - Synthesis

  • WMorris116@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Classical Studies

      Restoration – Evaluation - Synthesis

      Restoration – understanding ancient literature on its own terms – to the best of our ability including the attempt too alter our horizon of consideration.

      Evaluation – after the restoration of a concept, make an exact distinction between the ancient thought and modern thought…this requires an epistemological conversation that does not subsume one to the other or employ temporal biases

      Synthesis - requires the development of applications within the modern context. Modern intentionality (how we aim our minds) is so radically different than the ancients, when we import that into modern thinking it causes all kinds of ruptures. It happened with the origins of algebra in the 16thcentury. They read ancient literature and dismantled the modern algebra and after they did, algebra was no longer the same. If you take an ancient concept and pour it into a modern framework, it will create fractures in the container of the mind, thus altering permanently the approach to the problems of nature and science. We are attempting to fold back on ourselves in a transformation of the present moment through coming to grasp with ancient ways of thinking and perceiving.