RE: 5 level pulse tx

  • Benjamin Hawes
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004

      Hello Dr. Morris:

      I read your article in Acupuncture Today on pulse diagnosis and had questions: 1) if there are multiple pulse imbalances in different organ/channels, do you do the interior/exterior needling method for all, or one at a time until that imbalance is corrected? 2) Are the pulse imbalances immediately corrected upon needling, or does it take multiple treatments? 3) What if all 5 levels of a pulse are absent (happens in chi position quite often, I’ve noticed)? 4) In the “interior/exterior” method, is it the root element on the primary channel, the generating element on the paired Yin/Yang channel (same limb), and the source point on the paired Yin/Yang opposite limb point? I was trying to figure it out based on your example.

      Also – are you giving any training on pulses anytime soon? I was all set to go to James Ramholz seminar, but then he passed away right before the class. Thank you for your time.

      Benjamin Hawes, MAOM, Lic. Ac.,

      Director

      CORTEZ FAMILY ACUPUNCTURE

      1430 E. Main Street, Suite #4

      Cortez, CO 81321

      (970) 565-0230

    • Will
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
        Hi Benjamin -

        Hello Dr. Morris:

        I read your article in Acupuncture Today on pulse diagnosis and had questions: 1) if there are multiple pulse imbalances in different organ/channels, do you do the interior/exterior needling method for all, or one at a time until that imbalance is corrected?

        I treat the vessel that relates to the clincal picture. In lew of that, I often start with the Eight Extras first and then see what remains.

        2) Are the pulse imbalances immediately corrected upon needling, or does it take multiple treatments?

        There are immediate responsees, and that is part of how we deterine efficacy. The possibilites are:

        a. pulse gets better and condition gets better

        b. pulse doesn't get better and condition gets better

        c. pulse gest better but the condition doesn't

        d. both don't improve

        It takes multiple treatments usually in combination with qi gung, diet etc.

        3) What if all 5 levels of a pulse are absent (happens in chi position quite often, I’ve noticed)?

        The organ may be significantly deficient due to constitution (left) or lifestyle (right), or, there is blockage of wei, ying qi, or both (most likely) in the preceeding organ.

        4) In the “interior/exterior” method, is it the root element on the primary channel, the generating element on the paired Yin/Yang channel (same limb), and the source point on the paired Yin/Yang opposite limb point? I was trying to figure it out based on your example.

        Usually I am concerned with confluence, that is, I want the rivers to converge. That means a high degree of focus whether it is in a 'circuit' i.e LU-LI-Sp-St according to biao li that is, the interioer exerior method, or, some other method. The approach to gaining confluence has to do with recapitulating elements and thems rather than tonification or sedation.

        Also – are you giving any training on pulses anytime soon? I was all set to go to James Ramholz seminar, but then he passed away right before the class. Thank you for your time.

        I teach at Emperor's College. There is a pulse coursein the Winter quarter on Tuesday evenings. Due to the intensity of my schedule I am not doing much traveling teaching at the moment save for the CSOMA and AAOM conferences.

        Best to you -