Bush & Dr. Hager

  • Mark Franco
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2004
> [...]
      >during which time its charter lapsed. As a result, the Bush Administration
      >is tasked with filling all eleven positions with new members. This position
      >does not require Congressional approval.
      >
      >The FDA's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee makes crucial
      >decisions on matters relating to drugs used in the practice of obstetrics,
      >gynecology and related specialties, including hormone therapy,
      >contraception, treatment for infertility, and medical alternatives to
      >surgical procedures for sterilization and pregnancy termination.
      >
      >Dr. Hager, the author of "As Jesus Cared for Women: Restoring Women Then
      >and Now." The book blends biblical accounts of Christ healing women with
      >case studies from Hager's practice. His views of reproductive health care
      >are far outside the mainstream for reproductive technology. Dr. Hager is a
      >practicing OB/GYN who describes himself as "pro-life" and refuses to
      >prescribe contraceptives to unmarried women. In the book Dr. Hager wrote
      >with his wife, entitled "Stress and the Woman's Body," he suggests that
      >women who suffer from premenstrual syndrome should seek help from reading
      >the bible and praying. As an editor and contributing author of "The
      >Reproduction Revolution: A Christian Appraisal of Sexuality Reproductive
      >Technologies and the Family," Dr. Hager appears to have endorsed the
      >medically inaccurate assertion that the common birth control pill is an
      >abortifacient.
      >
      >We are concerned that Dr. Hager's strong religious beliefs may color his
      >assessment of technologies that are necessary to protect women's lives or
      >to preserve and promote women's health. Dr. Hager's track record of using
      >religious beliefs to guide his medical decision-making makes him a
      >dangerous and inappropriate candidate to serve as chair of this committee.
      >Critical drug public policy and research must not be held hostage by
      >anti-abortion politics.
      >
      >Members of this important committee should be appointed on the basis of
      >science and medicine, rather than politics and religion. American women
      >deserve no less.
      >
      >There is something you can do. Below is a letter to be sent to the White
      >House, opposing the placement of Hager. Please copy all the text of this
      >email and paste it into a fresh email; then sign your name below and SEND
      >THIS TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW WHO IS CONCERNED ABOUT WOMEN'S RIGHTS. Every
      >10th person please forward e-mail to:
      >

      >president@...
      >

      >I oppose the appointment of Dr. W. David Hager to the FDA Reproductive
      >Health Drugs Advisory Committee. Mixing religion and medicine is
      >unacceptable in a policy-making position. Using the FDA to promote a
      >political agenda is inappropriate and seriously threatens women's health.
      >
      >Members of this important panel should be appointed on the basis of science
      >and medicine, rather than politics and religion. American women

    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
        "The appointment [of Hager] is a done deal, and Dr. Hager is now part of
        this committee (although, perhaps as a result of the controversy raised by
        this message, he was not appointed to chair the committee). Whether he can
        be objective remains to be seen."
        More info: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/hager.htm

> [...]
        >deserve no less.
        >
        >There is something you can do. Below is a letter to be sent to the White
        >House, opposing the placement of Hager. Please copy all the text of this
        >email and paste it into a fresh email; then sign your name below and SEND
        >THIS TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW WHO IS CONCERNED ABOUT WOMEN'S RIGHTS. Every
        >10th person please forward e-mail to:
        >

        >president@...
        >

        >I oppose the appointment of Dr. W. David Hager to the FDA Reproductive
        >Health Drugs Advisory Committee. Mixing religion and medicine is
        >unacceptable in a policy-making position. Using the FDA to promote a
        >political agenda is inappropriate and seriously threatens women's health.
        >
        >Members of this important panel should be appointed on the basis of science
        >and medicine, rather than politics and religion. American women

        The mission of this group is to provide a forum for the discussion of pulse
        diagnosis so that a depth of understanding is furthered.
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • WMorris116@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
          Dear All -

          As your list moderator I am mandated (by myself) to request a return posting content to the list purpose. While I am interested in politics and the state of world affairs as many may be on the list, we do have an objective of keeping the list focused on the discussion of pulse diagnosis.

          The question for me is given these recent events, what changes have been seen in the pulses of your patient populations?

          Will

          "The appointment [of Hager] is a done deal, and Dr. Hager is now part of
          this committee (although, perhaps as a result of the controversy raised by
          this message, he was not appointed to chair the committee). Whether he can
          be objective remains to be seen."
          More info:  http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/hager.htm

          Will Morris, LAc., OMD, MSEd
          President, AAOM
          310-453-8300 phone
          310-829-3838 fax

          "Even the world, its states, and its clans can be pacified, even ranks and emoluments can be declined, and even flashing blades can be trodden underfoot, but focusing the familiar affairs of the day (zhongyong)-this is no easy matter." The Zhongyong

          This message is a PRIVATE communication. This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, or use it, and do not disclose it to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message with the word delete in the subject column, and then delete it and any attachments from your system. Thank you.