Heart Enlarged Pulse

  • herbaljutara
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      Is there a difference in heart enlarged in hypertrophic
      cardiomyopathy, dilated cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure?
      I suppose there might be a difference in the vibration/resonance
      dimension and possibly the qi quality. I suspect there might be
      cotton in congestive heart failure due to a variance in ground
      substance in the area of the pulse i.e. fluids, but then wondered if
      cotton is a bit different from fluid in the ground substance.

      Jutara
    • Sean Walsh
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2004
        Hi Jutara,

        I can help you with two of the three conditions you listed.

        Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a rather controversial condition; there are many theories as to why or how this condition develops. However, generally speaking, there is decreased filling of the left ventricle. In terms of palpation, you'll palpate a pulse that has a quick rise in pressure a slight pause in this rise and then a secondary systolic or reflective wave. Essentially there'll be two pulse waves during systole.

        With congestive or chronic heart failure the pulse pressure wave rises and falls slowly. Because the left ventricle is over enlarged it cannot contract effectively to eject blood around the body resulting in poor cardiac output. As such, there will be reflex tachycardia to compensate. Accordingly, the pulse is also rapid.

        As with dilated cardiomyopthy - is this just an enlarged heart?

        Take care.

        Sean.

        --
        UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
        confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not