off label yunnan bai yao

  • Kelly Welch
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2004
      Will:

      I have a few questions regarding the use of YBY that I hoped you could shed
      some light on.

      1. I have read Leon talk about using it in TCM world at "64 capsules as
      slowly as necessary, off 8 days, repeat cycle 3x "

      2. What does this mean? Go through 64 caps then wait a week then start
      again?

      3. The only time I heard Shen talk about it, he mentioned for a construction
      worker with back pain to take 1 pill 3x/day for 1 week. Then take a week
      off. Then repeat for a total of 3 rounds of YBY.

      4. Can you address the dosaging issue as was taught to you??

      Kelly

      Kelly D. Welch, M.S., L.Ac., Dipl. Ac & CH
      1800 Eye Street NW Suite 503-A
      Washington DC 20006
      202-783-9404

      Get some great ideas here for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day - and
      beyond. http://special.msn.com/network/celebrateromance.armx
    • WMorris116@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2004
        1. I have read Leon talk about using it in TCM world at "64 capsules as
        slowly as necessary, off 8 days, repeat cycle 3x "

        2. What does this mean? Go through 64 caps then wait a week then start
        again?

        3. The only time I heard Shen talk about it, he mentioned for a construction
        worker with back pain to take 1 pill 3x/day for 1 week. Then take a week
        off. Then repeat for a total of 3 rounds of YBY.

        4. Can you address the dosaging issue as was taught to you??

        Kelly -

        I saw a variety of dosing structures while studying with Drs. Shen and Hammer. Depending on constitution, the dosage is set and then when the prescribed amount is consumed, and 8 day break is taken. However, I feel more comfortable talking about my own experience. The schema you present is an option; the basic idea is to cycle the treatment on and off because the formula can damage yin. It is entirely dependent on the condition of the patient and the constitution.

        I have prescribed one capsule and have had patients report psychotropic phenomena such as clearing of memories, euphoria or dysphoria. I have prescribed three capsules a day and have had patients report little to no affect. I have heard of patients who have self-prescribed and taken 20 caps all at once creating a huge transformation - I don't advise this. An individual who is sensitive and weak (jue yin constitution) is not a good candidate for large dosing. A robust constitution such as a hot and corpulent yang ming type will probably take more. But - as you can see there are instances where they be hyper-responders paradoxical to the constitution. I suggest you ease your way in and establish a baseline response - then push the dose to get the desired result.