Re: Frostbite Feasability and self introduction

  • usemorewind
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
      I am brand new to Western NY (and sailing, and boat building), so this is all great information for me. Any of you guys ever sailed Sodus Bay? I live about a mile from there, and it looks like a reasonably well protected place to go play.

      Do you guys have any other suggestions on great places to visit with a small sailboat near Sodus Point? Because I plan to be ready for next season!

      I opted for a Goose (12 ft stretched version of the Duck) for my first boat -- sides and flotation box faces are cut and I am working my way through the other bits as time permits. I felt that the Goose provided a good compromise of ease of build vs. the ability to carry more crew (my sons are 2 and 6).

      It's a good thing I brewed 14 gallons of beer (IPA) over Thanksgiving...it will go well with the winter boat building, and help me forget about winter (or the lack thereof) in my old stomping ground -- Norman, OK. On the plus side, it won't be 108 when I am sailing in August ;-)

      Cheers,

      Steve

      PS...found Sureply at the Macedon, NY Lowe's....nice and close.

      --- In PuddleDuck@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hudson <rhudson@...> wrote:

      > Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. When I get out sailing
      > (which is rare) I use the fisherman's access on the south shore of
      > Oneida, just past Bridgeport. The water is shallow, so mind your rudder
      > and leeboard! The area is sheltered bu Dutchman's Island and I see it
      > as a good place for trial sailing. The latest I've been out there was
      > in late October. The north shore access is too steep and exposed for my
      > taste, at least until I have more confidence in my boats.
      >
      > I've also been considering Lake Neatawatha in Fulton, but it is a bit on
      > the small side, and the bacteria warnings are off-putting.
      >
      > I'm hoping to get out more often next year. I have to repair a good
      > sized hole in the bottom of my 11' mouseboat.
      > >

      > > Local conditions vary widely from lake to lake (south shore of Onieda
      > > can get downright evil quickly in a blow and Ontario will knock you
      > > down and take your lunch money, so they are out in the winter), but
      > > most rarely see over 1' chop, not always in the direction of the wind
      > > at any given moment. With 1 adult or occasionally 2 total maybe 340
      > > lbs with 2 plus light gear.
      > >
      > > I suppose the real question is, in a worst case scenario about what
      > > height allows mostly dry sailing -and- easy re-entry in the event of a
      > > capsize?

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
        I have sailed on Sodus Bay a few times, many years ago. Its a nice place to sail, but be careful if you ever venture out onto Lake Ontario as it can be a rough place for a small boat. The Finger Lakes have a lot of opportunities for sailing, but the water can get quite choppy when the wind is along the length of the lake.

        BTW, be sure to check out the Finger Lakes Boating museum. They just built a new facility:
        http://www.flbm.org/

        Robert

        --- In PuddleDuck@yahoogroups.com, "usemorewind" <usemorewind@...> wrote:

        > I am brand new to Western NY (and sailing, and boat building), so this is all great information for me. Any of you guys ever sailed Sodus Bay? I live about a mile from there, and it looks like a reasonably well protected place to go play.
        >
        > Do you guys have any other suggestions on great places to visit with a small sailboat near Sodus Point? Because I plan to be ready for next season!
        >
        > I opted for a Goose (12 ft stretched version of the Duck) for my first boat -- sides and flotation box faces are cut and I am working my way through the other bits as time permits. I felt that the Goose provided a good compromise of ease of build vs. the ability to carry more crew (my sons are 2 and 6).
        >
        > It's a good thing I brewed 14 gallons of beer (IPA) over Thanksgiving...it will go well with the winter boat building, and help me forget about winter (or the lack thereof) in my old stomping ground -- Norman, OK. On the plus side, it won't be 108 when I am sailing in August ;-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > PS...found Sureply at the Macedon, NY Lowe's....nice and close.
        >
        > --- In PuddleDuck@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hudson <rhudson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. When I get out sailing
        > > (which is rare) I use the fisherman's access on the south shore of
        > > Oneida, just past Bridgeport. The water is shallow, so mind your rudder
        > > and leeboard! The area is sheltered bu Dutchman's Island and I see it
        > > as a good place for trial sailing. The latest I've been out there was
        > > in late October. The north shore access is too steep and exposed for my
        > > taste, at least until I have more confidence in my boats.
        > >
        > > I've also been considering Lake Neatawatha in Fulton, but it is a bit on
        > > the small side, and the bacteria warnings are off-putting.
        > >
        > > I'm hoping to get out more often next year. I have to repair a good
        > > sized hole in the bottom of my 11' mouseboat.
        > > >

        > > > Local conditions vary widely from lake to lake (south shore of Onieda
        > > > can get downright evil quickly in a blow and Ontario will knock you
        > > > down and take your lunch money, so they are out in the winter), but
        > > > most rarely see over 1' chop, not always in the direction of the wind
        > > > at any given moment. With 1 adult or occasionally 2 total maybe 340
        > > > lbs with 2 plus light gear.
        > > >
        > > > I suppose the real question is, in a worst case scenario about what
        > > > height allows mostly dry sailing -and- easy re-entry in the event of a
        > > > capsize?

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
          OOps! The Finger Lakes Boating Museum is still building their new facility. Enjoy the web page, anyway.

          Also check to see if they still have their exhibit at the Glenn Curtiss museum on Hammondsport, NY.
        • cptn_capsize
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2011
            Wow, small world. I went apple-picking within a mile of the boat museum location, a week after attending Sail Oklahoma. Drove right by the DC-3 marking the turn-off for the Curtiss Museum.
            Dave (PDRacer #287)

            --- In PuddleDuck@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rhudson@...> wrote:

            > OOps! The Finger Lakes Boating Museum is still building their new facility. Enjoy the web page, anyway.
            >
            > Also check to see if they still have their exhibit at the Glenn Curtiss museum on Hammondsport, NY.

          • he who is him
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2011
              Hmmm, i'm not far at all from you, but i haven't ever sailed out of Sodus bay, i have sailed out of Oswego. Above all -respect- Lake Ontario, she can get very nasty. Especially on the southern shore.

              4' chop is not uncommon, nor is it always perpendicular to the wind.

              Great webpage for it is available though, http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/ . What that page lacks in polish it makes up for in accuracy. That close to the Bay i would say sailing on it is a no-brainer, maybe not right now with water temps in the 45 degree range, unless you happen to have the gear for it.

              The Finger Lakes are great for sailing as is Onondaga (expect an audience, oh and it is kinda polluted) and Oneida (go on a weekday and experience 80 sq miles of water just about entirely to yourself). These options would be a bit of a drive obviously, but they are the lakes i am most familiar with.