Re: Various responses

  • eichler@epix.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      Brandon Wu <brandon@...> wrote:

      > Here's an interesting thread: groups that use violin prominently to
      > good effect. Hmm... completely off the top of my head, I'd suggest
      > Arti & Mestieri (even if you don't like fusion), Quaterna Requiem,
      > Godspeed You Black Emperor (or, for even more violin, the spinoff A
      > Silver Mt. Zion), along with the obvious choice of King Crimson.

      What, no mention of Boud Deun!?!? That's it, I'm not writing for
      Ground and Sky any more. ;-)

      This list being a spin-off from the Kansas mailing list, that band
      goes without saying...

      Violinist Caryn Lin has two very nice solo albums and also
      contributes to a few Project Lo tracks.

      The Gong album _Shapeshifter_ has some good violin work on it.

      Zappa used various violinists to great effect here and there, most
      notably Sugarcane Harris on _Hot Rats_ and _Weasels Ripped My Flesh_,
      L. Shankar on the track "Thirteen" from one of the _You Can't Do
      That On Stage Anymore_ discs, and Jean-Luc Ponty on some of the
      tracks on _Lost Episodes_. Shankar and Ponty also both had solo
      albums produced by Zappa, and both albums are really good.

      ELO usually used the violin as sweetener or window dressing, but
      there's some good stuff on their earliest albums - I particuarly
      like the violin solo in "Kuiama" from _ELO II_.

      Hmmm, there's got to be more in my collection (I really like
      violin in prog), but that's all I can think of right now.

      So Godspeed and Mt. Zion feature violin? I'm gonna have to pick
      up something by them. By odd coincidence, I just finished listening
      to that sampler CDR you sent me, but I can't remember if the Silver
      Mt. Zion track on that featured violin or not.

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

      NP: Zoogz Rift, _Villagers_ (I've begun the annual December
      listening to all my Zappa and Zappa-related discs. This year I'm
      going in reverse order, beginning with the FZ-related stuff, and
      then I'll go through his entire catalog backwards).
    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        > Brandon Wu <brandon@...> wrote:
        > > Here's an interesting thread: groups that use violin prominently to
        > > good effect. Hmm... completely off the top of my head, I'd suggest
        > > Arti & Mestieri (even if you don't like fusion), Quaterna Requiem,
        > > Godspeed You Black Emperor (or, for even more violin, the spinoff A
        > > Silver Mt. Zion), along with the obvious choice of King Crimson.
        >
        > What, no mention of Boud Deun!?!? That's it, I'm not writing for
        > Ground and Sky any more. ;-)
        > This list being a spin-off from the Kansas mailing list, that band
        > goes without saying...
        > Violinist Caryn Lin has two very nice solo albums >

        i can't really say i like tolerance of ambiguity but she can definitely
        play.

        The Gong album _Shapeshifter_ has some good violin work on it.
        > Zappa used various violinists to great effect here and there, most
        > notably Sugarcane Harris on _Hot Rats_ and _Weasels Ripped My Flesh_,
        > L. Shankar on the track "Thirteen" from one of the _You Can't Do
        > That On Stage Anymore_ discs, and Jean-Luc Ponty on some of the
        > tracks on _Lost Episodes_. Shankar and Ponty also both had solo
        > albums produced by Zappa, and both albums are really good.

        l shankar does some wonderful work with mclaughlin in shakti, as does ponty
        with the mahavishnu orchestra. a handful of pontys solo albums are superior.

        > Hmmm, there's got to be more in my collection (I really like
        > violin in prog), but that's all I can think of right now.

        how about jerry goodman from the original lineup of mahavishnu and now with
        the dregs. he kicked ass at the dt/dregs show last year.
        how about hollis brown from ozone quartet? another good one.
        your right about the violin in boud deun. excellent.

        btw, buy a couple of bluegrass albums. great fiddle playing there! i always
        liked a one on one between a banjo and a fiddle.
        jerry

        np edgar winters white trash s/t
      • Jerry Keller
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          > > > Here's an interesting thread: groups that use violin prominently to
          > > > good effect. Hmm... completely off the top of my head, I'd suggest
          > > > Arti & Mestieri (even if you don't like fusion), Quaterna Requiem,
          > > > Godspeed You Black Emperor (or, for even more violin, the spinoff A
          > > > Silver Mt. Zion), along with the obvious choice of King Crimson.
          > >
          > > What, no mention of Boud Deun!?!? That's it, I'm not writing for
          > > Ground and Sky any more. ;-)
          > > This list being a spin-off from the Kansas mailing list, that band
          > > goes without saying...
          > > Violinist Caryn Lin has two very nice solo albums >
          >
          > i can't really say i like tolerance of ambiguity but she can definitely
          > play.
          >
          > The Gong album _Shapeshifter_ has some good violin work on it.
          > > Zappa used various violinists to great effect here and there, most
          > > notably Sugarcane Harris on _Hot Rats_ and _Weasels Ripped My Flesh_,
          > > L. Shankar on the track "Thirteen" from one of the _You Can't Do
          > > That On Stage Anymore_ discs, and Jean-Luc Ponty on some of the
          > > tracks on _Lost Episodes_. Shankar and Ponty also both had solo
          > > albums produced by Zappa, and both albums are really good.
          > >

          > l shankar does some wonderful work with mclaughlin in shakti, as does
          ponty
          > with the mahavishnu orchestra. a handful of pontys solo albums are
          superior.

          > > Hmmm, there's got to be more in my collection (I really like
          > > violin in prog), but that's all I can think of right now.
          >

          > how about jerry goodman from the original lineup of mahavishnu and now
          with
          > the dregs. he kicked ass at the dt/dregs show last year.
          > how about hollis brown from ozone quartet? another good one.
          > your right about the violin in boud deun. excellent.
          >
          > btw, buy a couple of bluegrass albums. great fiddle playing there! i
          always
          > liked a one on one between a banjo and a fiddle.
          > jerry
          >
          > np edgar winters white trash s/t

        • Brandon Wu
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
            --- eichler@e... wrote:

            > What, no mention of Boud Deun!?!? That's it, I'm not writing for
            > Ground and Sky any more. ;-)

            Well, I was kind of trying to avoid fusion bands, since the original
            poster mentioned a distaste of said genre...

            > So Godspeed and Mt. Zion feature violin? I'm gonna have to pick
            > up something by them. By odd coincidence, I just finished listening
            > to that sampler CDR you sent me, but I can't remember if the Silver
            > Mt. Zion track on that featured violin or not.

            Yeah, they use a lot of acoustic strings, but generally not in your
            usual melodic symphonic style. There's a ton of violin in that
            Silver Mt. Zion track I put on your disc :)

            GYBE! tend to bury their violin under noise - samples, static, or
            electric guitar noise - but it's still definitely there and adds
            some poignancy. ASMZ are much more stripped-down, with much less
            noise, and so the violin is more prominent.

            -B

            --
            Ground and Sky Progressive Rock Informational Resource
            http://www.progreviews.com/
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
              another violinist i forgot to mention is lorenza ponce who toured recently
              with the star people. i found her VERY impressive.
              jerry