Re: [ProgAndOther] Spock's Zappa

  • Jerry Keller
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2000
      > "Jonathan Fry" <jon.fry@...> wrote:
      > >I thought Neal Morse had a very down-to-earth,
      > >warm presence, and the Genesis and Zappa covers they did came across
      > >very well.
      >

      > Spock's Beard covered a Zappa song? Which one? I'm really curious.
      > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler, really enjoying the new Keneally

      yeah, they did the illinois enema bandit!! lol
      jerry

      np tony levin waters of eden
    • Jonathan Fry
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
        --- In ProgAndOther@egroups.com, Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews

        > Spock's Beard covered a Zappa song? Which one? I'm really curious.

        A bit of context first. Spock's Beard had been having mixing
        problems all night and just stopped in the middle of a ballad type
        song because it sounded so awful. They gestured to the guy at the
        soundboard to fix it. After a few seconds of looking like fools up
        on the stage, Neal Morse and the guitarist broke out an unplanned
        version of "Lonesome Cowboy Burt" to pass the time...

        Jon

        NP: Tangerine Dream - _The_Analogue_Space_Years_'69-'73_
      • Bob Eichler
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
          "Jonathan Fry" <jon.fry@m...> wrote:
          > --- In ProgAndOther@egroups.com, Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
          > >
          > > Spock's Beard covered a Zappa song? Which one? I'm really
          > > curious.
          >
          > A bit of context first. Spock's Beard had been having mixing
          > problems all night and just stopped in the middle of a ballad type
          > song because it sounded so awful. They gestured to the guy at the
          > soundboard to fix it. After a few seconds of looking like fools up
          > on the stage, Neal Morse and the guitarist broke out an unplanned
          > version of "Lonesome Cowboy Burt" to pass the time...

          Wow, I would never in a million years have guessed LCB.
          That's...interesting.

          > NP: Tangerine Dream - _The_Analogue_Space_Years_'69-'73_

          What's this?

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          NP: Mike Keneally, _Dancing_
        • Jonathan Fry
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
            --- In ProgAndOther@egroups.com, "Bob Eichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:
            > > NP: Tangerine Dream - _The_Analogue_Space_Years_'69-'73_
            >
            > What's this?

            A two disc compilation of tracks from Tangerine Dream's first five
            albums (_Electronic_Meditation_, _Alpha_Centauri_, _Zeit_, _Atem_ and
            _Green_Desert_), remastered and on gold discs. The sound is superb.
            I've been thinking of exploring TD's catalog further, so I pulled
            this one out to refresh my memory. Good stuff.

            Jon

            NP: Journey - _Captured_ (more or less the anti-Tangerine Dream)
          • Lawless, Steven
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
              Bob

              I think it was you who had asked/mentioned about Neil Young a few
              postings/days back regarding what were the good albums to get.

              Although I did not have a chance to look at the few that I own, certainly,
              if you want a very good taste of his musical output from the beginning
              (1970s) to around the middle of his career (late 70s early 80s maybe), the
              Decade album, is a great place to start. It is a 2 CD set and contains a
              broad spectrum of his vast and eclectic output.

              Here is a link to his site where they have his discography.

              http://www.repriserec.com/neilyoung/mainsite/index_discography.html

              Some others which I like, that you might like include Sleeps with Angels
              (which many do not like, but I do), Rust Never Sleeps, Harvest, Tonight's
              the Night and Neil Young (self-titled).

              Hoping this helps.

              Regards,

              Steven

              np Trace - Trace

              > NP: Tangerine Dream - _The_Analogue_Space_Years_'69-'73_

              What's this?

              -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

              NP: Mike Keneally, _Dancing_

              is unauthorized.

            • upnsm0ke
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
                > From: Jonathan Fry <jon.fry@...>
                >
                > > What's this?
                >
                > A two disc compilation of tracks from Tangerine Dream's first five
                > albums (_Electronic_Meditation_, _Alpha_Centauri_, _Zeit_, _Atem_ and >
                _Green_Desert_), remastered and on gold discs. The sound is superb.
                > I've been thinking of exploring TD's catalog further, so I pulled
                > this one out to refresh my memory. Good stuff.

                I just thought I'd mention for Bob's sake that Tangerine Dream circa '69-73
                is experimental music, more often than not consisting of arhythmic
                structures and 'sound collages' and usually in the formof side-length tracks
                (some of this stuff is pretty abrasive, like their very first LP,
                _Electronic Meditation_...there's nothing 'meditative' about it).

                The exception to the above is the superb 1973 album, _Green Desert_, which
                featured only Edgar Froese (guitars, synth, sequencing) and Christoph Franke
                (drums, synths, sequencing), as 3rd member Peter Baumann (synths,
                sequencing) was tripping in Katmandu, more or less. Side two features three
                side length tracks: one upbeat, melodic piece, one spacey sequencer piece,
                and one early ambient piece, which is really cool. However, it's the
                side-length title track which is the real gem! Around the mid-70s, Tangerine
                Dream began closer towards melodic structures (my favorite TD lies within
                the 1977-1986 arc).

                A bit of trivia: _Green Desert_ was an 'archival lost album' which wasn't
                published until 1986.

                > NP: Journey - _Captured_ (more or less the anti-Tangerine Dream)

                The anti-TD? I don't get it... =)

                E-Man