Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: top 100 of the 90's

  • Jim Robinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2000
      Bob-

      eichler@... wrote:

      > In the last digest, Jim Robinson <jwrjr@...> wrote:
      >
      > > IT AINT YOUR LIST DAMMIT!! IT IS MINE.
      >
      > Jeeze Jim, don't start getting defensive until people actually
      > bust on you. ;-)

      Just getting prepared. :-)

      > > 100 Sade - Love Deluxe
      >
      > Wow, a surprise right off the bat.

      Yup I love this cd. Great atmosphere and groove here.

      > > 99 Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion
      > > 77 Screaming Trees-Dust
      >
      > What's the deal with this band? I saw them a few years ago along
      > with (I think) the Spin Doctors and Soul Asylum. Other than a few
      > of the Spin Doctors' songs, I seem to remember being pretty
      > unimpressed with the whole show. Screaming Trees were just an
      > ultra-loud, ultra-heavy punk/grunge/rock band...did I miss something?

      Well I dont know. They are pretty ultra-loud, ultra-heavy punk/grunge/rock
      live.
      The cds are much more dynamic thanks to their vocalist Mark Lanegan who is
      really a broad minded fella. "Dust" is really cool in the Metal meets Zep
      meets Ravi
      meets Dylan kind of way.

      > > 96 Queensryche-Empire
      > > 78 Primus-Tales From The Punchbowl
      > > 21 Kansas-Freaks of Nature
      >
      > I think this might be the only overlap between your top 100 list
      > and mine. :-)

      That is cool.

      > > 85 Willie Nelson-Teatro
      > > 62 Johnny Cash-The American Recordings
      > > 60 Lyle Lovett-The Road to Ensenada
      > > 50 Lyle Lovett-I Love Everybody
      > > 32 Ricky Skaggs-Bluegrass Rules
      > > 29 Kd Lang-Ingenue
      > > 26 Johnny Cash-Unchained
      >
      > I had no idea you were into country music.

      Well don't lump me in with the pop country crowd.

      > > 65 California Guitar Trio-Pathways
      >
      > Hmmm...interesting choice. That one's probably my least favorite
      > of their three studio discs, although it's still good.

      Clearly my favorite of all theri releases.

      > > 12 Radiohead-The Bends
      > > 2 Radiohead-Ok Computer
      >
      > Dammit, one of these days I'm going to have to get "OK Computer".

      I love 'em.

      > I'm impressed that you managed to rank them in order of preference.
      > When I did my top 100 a while back, I had to put them in alphabetic
      > order because there was no way I could pick a "favorite", or even
      > narrow it down to a top 10.

      Thanks. It took me 6 months to figure it all out.

      > NP: Camper Van Beethoven, self-titled

      Ah yes I sure do miss Camper

      Peace-
      Jim

      NP-Kansas-Somewhere to Elsewhere
    • Jim Robinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2000
        Brandon-

        "Evil Empire" has always been a standout for me. Why? I don't know. I
        figured after
        I heard the debut cd that they'd never be able to do it better but EE just
        kicks it more for me.

        Peace-
        Jim

        Brandon Wu wrote:

        > --- 46th@e... wrote:
        > >
        > > <<<97 Rage Against The Machine-Battle of Los Angeles>>>
        > > <<<70 Rage Against the Machine-Self Titled>>>
        > > <<<16 Rage Against the Machine-Evil Empire>>>
        > >
        > > I thought about giving these guys a shot. Why I haven't is
        > > anybody's guess. Considering that Jim's got three of their discs
        > > ranked in his Top 100 signals that they might be worth checking out
        > > in more detail than what I've heard from them on the radio.
        >
        > Definitely do so. I'm interested that "Evil Empire" is so much
        > higher than the other two... I think the debut is easily the best.
        > Not much stylistic difference between the three, but the self-
        > titled just seems fresher.

      • upnsm0ke
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2000
          > From: Brandon Wu <brandon@...>
          >
          > > <<<97 Rage Against The Machine-Battle of Los Angeles>>>
          > > <<<70 Rage Against the Machine-Self Titled>>>
          > > <<<16 Rage Against the Machine-Evil Empire>>>
          > >
          > > I thought about giving these guys a shot. Why I haven't is
          > > anybody's guess. Considering that Jim's got three of their discs
          > > ranked in his Top 100 signals that they might be worth checking out
          > > in more detail than what I've heard from them on the radio.
          >
          > Definitely do so. I'm interested that "Evil Empire" is so much
          > higher than the other two... I think the debut is easily the best.
          > Not much stylistic difference between the three, but the self-
          > titled just seems fresher.

          The first one is fantastic. I REALLY like _The Battle Of Los Angeles_ just
          about the same!

          E-Man