Porcupine Tree

  • nyboomgirl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 1, 2000
      Ok, I have no PT.. which should I start with?

      thanks

      Kira
    • Eric Hillstrom
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2000

        > nyboomgirl@... wrote:
        >
        > > Ok, I have no PT.. which should I start with?
        > >
        > > thanks
        > >
        > > Kira

        They are going to release a two disc compilation later
        this year, I belive.

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
      • Jerry Keller
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 6 5:11 AM
          > "Robert LaDuca" <rlladuca@...> wrote:
          > > Porcupine Tree defies easy categorization.
          >
          > You mean other than "neo/pop/Pink Floyd imitators"? Sorry, I
          > just couldn't help myself. ;-) Seriously though, aren't these
          > guys going in more and more of a pop direction - do they really
          > belong at a prog-rock festival?
          > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          call it what you will, bob
          i think their last 3 albums have taken them away from the
          pink floyd clone indictment.
          these three cds are among my most played albums and
          i don't get tired of them. they may tend toward pop but
          imho, its wonderful stuff. (actually, steve wilson has called
          stupid dreams and lightbulb sun "ambitious pop".
          and yes i do think they belong at a prog festival.
          jerry
        • Greg Hall
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 6 5:46 AM
            > > You mean other than "neo/pop/Pink Floyd imitators"? Sorry, I
            > > just couldn't help myself. ;-) Seriously though, aren't these
            > > guys going in more and more of a pop direction - do they really
            > > belong at a prog-rock festival?
            > > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

            You need to need to put bands on the bill that bring in the fans from
            outside the PA, NY, NJ, MD area. They aren't the most progressive
            band, but they are familiar to nearly all prog fans. Rob does a great
            job filling the bill with something that everyone likes. For that we
            should be thankful that NEARfest isn't purely neo, RIO, fusion,
            symphonic, etc.

            You folks on the East Coast have to realise that you're lucky. Without
            Spock's Beard and IQ in '99 or without Transatlantic and echolyn in
            '00, I don't make the trip from Michigan. I need something (i.e. a
            favorite band of mine) to give me the push to invest vacation days,
            hotel room, and airfare to make the trip to PA. It would different if
            these festivals were within a couple hours drive. I would be there
            regardless. Rob has the right idea.

            Greg

            NP: Nick and Neal - Two Separate Gorillas

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • Eric Baillargeon
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 6 6:50 AM
              rl bard wrote:

              > This is surprising on many levels. How many of you have read interviews
              > with Wilson where he clearly wants little to do w/ the prog label for his
              > band. He wouldn't play for the CRS for this reason. I was also under the
              > impression that they didn't want to play festivals particularly one art rock
              > related. It almost makes no sense especially based on the commercial slant
              > of their recent albums.

              Maybe he's getting some decent money and the fact that there will
              be 1000 knowledgeable people in attendance. I'm sure it will by
              far the biggest crowd that PT has played for in the US.

              Eric

              NP. Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine
            • Jerry Keller
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 6 6:55 AM
                > rl bard wrote:
                > > This is surprising on many levels. How many of you have read interviews
                > > with Wilson where he clearly wants little to do w/ the prog label for
                his
                > > band. He wouldn't play for the CRS for this reason. I was also under
                the
                > > impression that they didn't want to play festivals particularly one art
                rock
                > > related. It almost makes no sense especially based on the commercial
                slant
                > > of their recent albums.
                > >

                > Maybe he's getting some decent money and the fact that there will
                > be 1000 knowledgeable people in attendance. I'm sure it will by
                > far the biggest crowd that PT has played for in the US.
                > Eric

                also i presume they'll do additional shows (at least on the
                east coast) much like transatlantic did last year. i doubt
                they'll play nearfest and immediately go back home.
                jerry
              • AllGdPple@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 6 10:12 AM
                  In a message dated 11/6/00 8:48:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  motorcityprogger@... writes:

                  .  Rob does a great
                  job filling the bill with something that everyone likes.  For that we
                  should be thankful that NEARfest isn't purely neo, RIO, fusion,
                  symphonic, etc.

                  Porcupine Tree
                  Deus Ex Machina
                  Under the Sun
                  White Willow - (they remind me of After Crying)
                  The California Guitar Trio
                  Djam Karet
                  Underground Railroad

                  great start. Rob and Chad never fail to surprise.

                  kenny

                • Brandon Wu
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 6 4:57 PM
                    --- In ProgAndOther@egroups.com, AllGdPple@a... wrote:

                    > White Willow - (they remind me of After Crying)

                    After Crying - now *there's* a band I'd like to see live, at NEARfest
                    or elsewhere. Also throw in Quaterna Requiem and Azigza and Isildurs
                    Bane and Univers Zero and Magma and Universal Totem Orchestra and
                    Samla Mammas Manna and... ah, hell...

                    That said, I'm quite happy with the festival lineup so far, although
                    I am hoping the final three bands will be really off-the-wall...

                    -B

                    --
                    Ground and Sky Progressive Rock Informational Resource
                    http://www.progreviews.com/
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 7 6:50 AM
                      Well it is the North East **Art Rock** festival isn't it?

                      Porcupine Tree is perfect for this gig.

                      Peace-
                      Jim

                      NP-Thinking Plaque-In Extremis

                      rl bard wrote:

                      > >NEARfest is very pleased to announce Porcupine Tree as the 7th band
                      > >confirmed for the 2001 edition of the festival.
                      >
                      > This is surprising on many levels. How many of you have read interviews
                      > with Wilson where he clearly wants little to do w/ the prog label for his
                      > band. He wouldn't play for the CRS for this reason. I was also under the
                      > impression that they didn't want to play festivals particularly one art rock
                      > related. It almost makes no sense especially based on the commercial slant
                      > of their recent albums.
                      >
                      > Ron Bard
                    • Adam Levin
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 7 8:56 AM
                        Steven Wilson and I had a conversation 4 years ago where he told me he
                        didn't like the term "progressive rock" and claimed he didn't know what it
                        really meant nor why his band was considered to be part of the genre.

                        Ironically, this conversation took place in the dressing room at the
                        Progscape '96 prog festival here in Baltimore. So even though he has
                        problems with the term and the labelling of his band, it's never stopped
                        him from playing prog (or prog by any other name) festivals, advertising
                        or doing interviews in prog magazines like Progression, or taking opening
                        slots on tours with other "prog" bands like Gong (last year's US tour -
                        good show!) or Dream Theater.

                        On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Jim Robinson wrote:

                        > Well it is the North East **Art Rock** festival isn't it?
                        >
                        > Porcupine Tree is perfect for this gig.
                        >
                        > Peace-
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > NP-Thinking Plaque-In Extremis
                        >
                        > rl bard wrote:
                        >
                        > > >NEARfest is very pleased to announce Porcupine Tree as the 7th band
                        > > >confirmed for the 2001 edition of the festival.
                        > >
                        > > This is surprising on many levels. How many of you have read interviews
                        > > with Wilson where he clearly wants little to do w/ the prog label for his
                        > > band. He wouldn't play for the CRS for this reason. I was also under the
                        > > impression that they didn't want to play festivals particularly one art rock
                        > > related. It almost makes no sense especially based on the commercial slant
                        > > of their recent albums.
                        > >
                        > > Ron Bard
                        >

                        > ---
                        > The "Prog and Other" Mailing List
                        > To Unsubscribe, go to http://www.egroups.com/

                        -Adam

                        ---
                        "...if one strives at hearing for the sake of constant virtue,
                        out of seeking liberation from cyclic existence, gradually one
                        becomes a Hearer."
                        - Chandrakirti

                        T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
                        http://www.darkaether.net/
                      • upnsm0ke
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 7 6:15 PM
                          > From: Adam Levin <alevin@...>
                          >

                          > Steven Wilson and I had a conversation 4 years ago where he told me he
                          > didn't like the term "progressive rock" and claimed he didn't know what it
                          > really meant nor why his band was considered to be part of the genre.

                          I'm sure he's never heard of Pink Floyd, either. ;-)

                          > Progscape '96 prog festival here in Baltimore. So even though he has
                          > problems with the term and the labelling of his band, it's never stopped
                          > him from playing prog (or prog by any other name) festivals, advertising
                          > or doing interviews in prog magazines like Progression, or taking opening
                          > slots on tours with other "prog" bands like Gong (last year's US tour -
                          > good show!) or Dream Theater.

                          Of course. He's going to play as many gigs at prog festivals and give as
                          many interviews to prog zines as he sees fit in order to gain more exposure
                          for his band. Never mind that he thinks Pokemon Tree are too good to be
                          considered prog or whatever.

                          No offense to PT fans.

                          E-Man
                        • Peter Abusamra
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 8 2:03 AM
                            Brandon Wu wrote:

                            > That said, I'm quite happy with the festival lineup so far, although
                            > I am hoping the final three bands will be really off-the-wall...
                            >
                            > Still praying The Flower Kings will be there!
                          • Alfredo Yung
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 17, 2008
                              Hi.

                              Steve, I enjoyed your PT's discs reviews very much. PT is by far my favourite active band. I agree with almost everything you said, although IMO PT's most commercial album is Lightbulb Sun (which I still like very very much) and after that one they gradually started to move in another direction. I wouldn't call what they do now Prog Metal, though. To me Prog Metal means double bass drums all over the place and 1000 MPH (digital sounding) keyboard solos ( i.e. Rudess) - no offense to anyone-, and to me PT doesn' sound like that at all. I would say that that their sound is a mix of psychedelic, prog, some space with catchy heavy metal guitar riffs. Just my opinion...

                              There's a great PT soundboard recording out there. Great concert and pristine sound.

                              San Francisco nov-25 2002

                              For those who like "Recordings", I also recommend seeking out the demo for the song "Dissapear". Some time ago it was available for download at PT's official website.

                              Cheers
                              Alfredo
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 17, 2008
                                In a message dated 1/17/2008 8:13:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, alfredoyung@... writes:

                                Just to clarify I don't consider them to be prog metal either, but they have (especially on the last few albums) introduced a more metal oriented sound to their music.  But, yea I would agree that they are not what I consider prog metal either.

                                Steve Sly
                                ProgDay 2008
                                wouldn't call what they do now Prog Metal, though. To me Prog Metal means double bass drums all over the place and 1000 MPH (digital sounding) keyboard solos ( i.e. Rudess) - no offense to anyone-, and to me PT doesn' sound like that at all. I would say that that their sound is a mix of psychedelic, prog, some space with catchy heavy metal guitar riffs. Just my opinion...

                              • jeffoaster
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 24 12:59 PM
                                  Hey,

                                  As I had mentioned before, I'm staring down extensive knee surgery (1
                                  week from now), and was looking for some music to listen to while
                                  recovering (translation: stuff that will sound good accompanied by
                                  painkillers). Anyway, I downloaded PT's The Sky Moves Sideways last
                                  week from e-music, and was floored. For reasons unknown, I've never
                                  gotten into PT although I did see them at NF in '01

                                  So my question is as follows: If I understand correctly Porcupine
                                  Tree's sound has evolved and is less proggy and more "Radiohead-ish"
                                  now. What other albums have more of that spacy, stetched out sound to
                                  them? And how would the newer (last ten years or so) stuff be
                                  described and is it recommended. Please show your work.

                                  - Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 24 1:39 PM
                                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Hey,
                                    >
                                    > Anyway, I downloaded PT's The Sky Moves Sideways last
                                    > week from e-music, and was floored. For reasons unknown, I've never
                                    > gotten into PT although I did see them at NF in '01
                                    >
                                    > So my question is as follows: If I understand correctly Porcupine
                                    > Tree's sound has evolved and is less proggy and more "Radiohead-ish"
                                    > now. What other albums have more of that spacy, stetched out sound
                                    > them? And how would the newer (last ten years or so) stuff be
                                    > described and is it recommended. Please show your work.

                                    For what it's worth, I picked up "The Sky Moves Sideways" at
                                    some point and, like you, really enjoyed it. Kind of a blatent
                                    homage to/rip-off of Pink Floyd, but still good.

                                    Then I got a second one, I think it was "Stupid Dream", and
                                    just absolutely hated it. Way too poppy, predictable, whiney
                                    and self-pitying. Got rid of it quickly.

                                    So tread carefully. (No, that's not a knee surgery joke).

                                    On the other hand, I hated the band at NEARFest too, so if you
                                    liked them there, then I'm not the one to take advice from.

                                    -- Bob
                                  • progholio@juno.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 24 1:45 PM

                                      I can highly recommend everything from Lightbulb Sun on back. Signify and Up the Downstair have a lot of the spacey elements you are looking for.
                                      The newer albums are great as well, I can see the similarities to radiohead but i think P-Tree have a well established sound, albeit a bit heavier guitar driven and a little less electronic ambiance.

                                      If you are going to be medicated may i suggest a release from electronic musician Robert Rich called Bestiary. I promise this would be the perfect spacey, stretched out soundtrack to accompany a somewhat sedated state.

                                      Good Luck
                                      rich

                                      -- "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...> wrote:

                                      Hey,

                                      As I had mentioned before, I'm staring down extensive knee surgery (1
                                      week from now), and was looking for some music to listen to while
                                      recovering (translation: stuff that will sound good accompanied by
                                      painkillers) . Anyway, I downloaded PT's The Sky Moves Sideways last
                                      week from e-music, and was floored. For reasons unknown, I've never
                                      gotten into PT although I did see them at NF in '01

                                      So my question is as follows: If I understand correctly Porcupine
                                      Tree's sound has evolved and is less proggy and more "Radiohead-ish"
                                      now. What other albums have more of that spacy, stetched out sound to
                                      them? And how would the newer (last ten years or so) stuff be
                                      described and is it recommended. Please show your work.

                                      - Jeff

                                      Find the best Trade Schools. Click here.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 24 11:47 PM
                                        I am pretty much a Porcupine Tree fanatic, so I may not be the best to give advice here, but "Sky Moves Sideways" is by far the band's most Pink Floyd influenced disc and arguably their most progressive.  It is the album that first turned me on to the Tree and I have since picked up all of their studio discs.  I really love every era from the band, but "Sky" is kind of it's own animal as none of the band's other discs really sound like it.

                                        I don't really see the Radiohead comparison with their more recent material.  They have definitely become a bit more metal oriented (although I would not consider them prog metal) and somewhat more commercial, although their most recent album contains a great 20 minute track.

                                        Anyway I like all of their stuff so it is hard for me to pick, but if you are looking for another "Sky" you might be disappointed.

                                        Steve Sly
                                        ProgDay 2009

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 25 12:48 AM
                                          Moonloop and Metanoia are often overlooked, they are both spacey
                                          almost-jazz-like improvisation albums. Highly recommended!

                                          On 24/11/2008, biceeichler <eichler2@...> wrote:
                                          > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "jeffoaster" <jeffoaster@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> Hey,
                                          >>
                                          >> Anyway, I downloaded PT's The Sky Moves Sideways last
                                          >> week from e-music, and was floored. For reasons unknown, I've never
                                          >> gotten into PT although I did see them at NF in '01
                                          >>
                                          >> So my question is as follows: If I understand correctly Porcupine
                                          >> Tree's sound has evolved and is less proggy and more "Radiohead-ish"
                                          >> now. What other albums have more of that spacy, stetched out sound
                                          >> them? And how would the newer (last ten years or so) stuff be
                                          >> described and is it recommended. Please show your work.
                                          >

                                          > For what it's worth, I picked up "The Sky Moves Sideways" at
                                          > some point and, like you, really enjoyed it. Kind of a blatent
                                          > homage to/rip-off of Pink Floyd, but still good.
                                          >
                                          > Then I got a second one, I think it was "Stupid Dream", and
                                          > just absolutely hated it. Way too poppy, predictable, whiney
                                          > and self-pitying. Got rid of it quickly.
                                          >
                                          > So tread carefully. (No, that's not a knee surgery joke).
                                          >
                                          > On the other hand, I hated the band at NEARFest too, so if you
                                          > liked them there, then I'm not the one to take advice from.
                                          >
                                          > -- Bob

                                          we still have the stars
                                          the new album by the resonance association
                                          available now from www.westillhavethestars.com
                                        • jeffoaster
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 25 6:08 AM
                                            Thanks for the input guys.

                                            I have 10 downloads left, so I'll probably pick up Metanoia and a
                                            couple tracks from Moonloop (which is available as Disc 2 of the Sky
                                            Moves Sidweways - I only d/l'ed Disc 1 so far)

                                            Maybe next month I'll explore some of the more recent stuff. Since
                                            I'll be in rehab (not in the Amy Winehouse sense of the word,
                                            hopefully), I might need some more metal-tinged stuff to listen to
                                            while working out. Besides, I like the stuff that Wilson did with OSI.

                                            - Jeff

                                            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Vincent"

                                          • timroache@verizon.net