Kenny's list of scales; am I saying anything new?

  • Landgraf, Virginia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 1999
      Kenny wrote:

      <<Here's the list of modes I'm aware of, all of these have been exhausted
      by classical and jazz composers before the existence of progressive
      rock.......if you know of any new modes please let me know. Then I'll know
      somebody is truly pushing the boundaries.

      7 TONE scales:
      12 MAJOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 HARMONIC MINOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 MELODIC MINOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 HUNGARIAN MAJOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 HUNGARIAN MINOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 NEAPOLITAN MAJOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 NEAPOLITAN MINOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 ENIGMATIC MINOR scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 ENIGMATIC scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 COMPOSITE II scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 IONIAN b5 scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 LOCRIAN (nat)7 scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each
      12 PERSIAN scales in 7 modes with 7 positions each

      5 TONE scales:
      12 MINOR PENTATONIC scales in 5 modes with 5 positions each
      12 KUMOI scales in 5 modes with 5 positions each
      12 HIROJOSHI scales in 5 modes with 5 positions each

      6 TONE scales:
      12 WHOLE TONE scales in 6 modes with 6 positions each
      12 AUGMENTED scales in 6 modes with 6 positions each
      12 PELOG scales in 6 modes with 6 positions each
      12 DOMINANT SUS scales in 6 modes with 6 positions each

      8 TONE scales:
      12 DIMINISHED scales in 8 modes with 8 positions each
      12 8-TONE SPANISH scales in 8 modes with 8 positions each
      12 BEBOP LOCRIAN scales in 8 modes with 8 positions each
      12 BEBOP DOMINANT scales in 8 modes with 8 positions each
      12 BEBOP DORIAN scales in 8 modes with 8 positions each
      12 BEBOP MAJOR scales in 8 modes with 8 positions each>>

      This is interesting. I'm trying to guess what some of these are, because I
      haven't heard all of these terms. Maybe that's because I studied music
      theory on piano with my mother (who knows mostly Western classical music)
      and you studied guitar (and/or other things) with some people from jazz &
      other traditions? If you could give me an off-list rundown of what these
      mean (whole/half steps in what order, or what size steps etc.), I'd be
      interested. (Or on-list if you want).

      I admit that I'm somewhat indifferent to the "prog or not?" debate.
      Somebody here said, "I hate music that sucks" -- well, I feel the same way.
      There is good & bad prog, folk, blues, metal, classical, jazz, mawlum,
      mohori, piphat, saw, glawng yao, gantreum, lam-dtat, etc. (the last are all
      musical genres from various regions or ethnic groups in Thailand, in case
      you were wondering). If they put things together so that I hear something I
      haven't heard before, and it piques my interest, then great. If they play
      an ancient piece in a way meant to pay tribute to 1,000 years of learning,
      and it moves me, then great too. If they write a song that wears its
      influences blatantly on its sleeve but the lyrics are something really
      thought-provoking, then great again. If the music is predictable and not
      particularly interesting or moving to me, and the lyrics don't say anything
      to me, chances are I won't be interested in it no matter how well played.
      But I don't spend a lot of time with recorded music like that, so I don't
      usually worry about it, although I admit to feeling annoyed when music like
      this is played pre-flight and after-flight on airplanes (why can't they just
      give us silence?). And I also don't like it when bands don't bother to tune
      their instruments but try to play music for tuned instruments (for some
      reason, there were a lot of bad rock-trad mixed bands in Thailand where the
      trad instrumentalists cooked but the electric guitars/bass/drums sucked).

      Am I saying anything new?

      Ginny
    • AllGdPple@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 1999
        great view points Ginny,

        Wow, the task you've requested is a monumental one........if you could be
        specific I'd be glad to write out the patterns.

        I'll give you a few off the bat that you might not be familiar with........

        Let's deal with the 8-tone scales........"bebop" scales first. of course the
        name was adopted after the bebop era only because they were used so much.

        I'll start by dealing with the 8-tone Diminished mode (called the Whole-Half
        Dim ).......of course the pattern is the same regardless of the key A-G#. I'll
        use F.

        root-whole-half-whole - half-whole-half-whole
        F - G - Ab- Bb - B - C - Db - Eb

        in the Spanish 8-tone it's considerably different:
        root - half - whole-half-half-half-whole-whole .....in G
        G - Ab - Bb - B - C - Db - Eb - F

        BEBOP LOCRIAN (nat. 2):
        root-whole-half-whole-half-whole-whole-half...in G
        G - A - Bb - C - Db - Eb - F - Gb

        BEBOP DOMINANT:
        root-whole-whole-half-whole-whole-half-half...in G
        G - A - B - C - D - E - F - Gb

        BEBOP DORIAN:
        root-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half-half...in G
        G - A - Bb- C - D - E - F -Gb

        BEBOP MAJOR:
        root-whole-whole-half-whole-half-half-half...in G
        G - A - B - C - D - Eb- E - F

        ::::::pant pant::::::

        kenny ----next time 5-tone scales