Re: [ProgAndOther] opening acts for the TA tour.

  • AllGdPple@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2000
      ericb@... writes:

      << Here is some news on the upcoming Transatlantic tour.

      Eric

      -------------------------------------
      Boston - Mastermind
      Philly - Echolyn
      New Haven - Paranoise, Crucible
      New York - Scott McGill's Hand Farm
      DC - Mastermind >>

      Oh......you've already heard:) thanks Eric for keeping us so informed.

      One thing that puzzles me is why established progbands like Yes, Dream
      Theater, etc., don't take new progbands on tour with them as opening acts!?!.
      They can use the exposure......I'd love to see a Dream Theater, Mastermind,
      Hand Farm tour. Or YES, Camel, Bon Lozaga, or King Crimson, Thinking
      Plague, Dark Aether :)

      kenny
    • Rich Kornacki
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
        ---
        > One thing that puzzles me is why established progbands like Yes,
        Dream
        > Theater, etc., don't take new progbands on tour with them as
        opening acts!?!.
        > They can use the exposure......I'd love to see a Dream Theater,
        Mastermind,
        > Hand Farm tour. Or YES, Camel, Bon Lozaga, or King Crimson,
        Thinking
        > Plague, Dark Aether :)
        >
        > kenny

        I Agree, too bad some of the biggies don't take some indies with them
        on tour or a few shows. It does happen though (Mastermind, Spocks...)

        But, as to playing some of the regional bigger clubs like Toads Place
        in New Haven, CT, this is how you get to play there:

        They will bring you in on say a Tuesday with some other bands. All
        the bands get tickets to sell (different color for each band). The
        band(s) that have the most of their color coming through the door
        (whether it be the 16 year old punk garage band, or a really good
        prog band (obviously technically superior), that's the band that gets
        to come back!!!

        The club sees it in terms of tickets sold and not how good a band
        is. There's some really good prog bands in CT, but Toads won't touch
        them (Crucible is an exception cause they have drawn lots of people
        there, maybe cause they have a real good following from their "cover
        band" gigs). I take nothing away from them though, they are
        excellent!!!

        Rich K, ATF
      • Adrianne Bosco
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
          > From: "Rich Kornacki" <richkorn1@...>

          Welcome to the list, Rich. It's nice to see someone else from CT!

          > The club sees it in terms of tickets sold and not how good a band
          > is. There's some really good prog bands in CT, but Toads won't touch
          > them (Crucible is an exception cause they have drawn lots of people
          > there, maybe cause they have a real good following from their "cover
          > band" gigs). I take nothing away from them though, they are
          > excellent!!!

          I am a huge fan of Crucible, and I love to see them at Toad's Place.
          However, those are the nights when it's not likely the place will fill up.
          The place sucks to see bands like Dream Theater.. because it's sold out and
          nobody can see *anything*. I see it as no loss that Toad's won't accept
          prog bands. There are plenty of other places they can play without hassles.

          I look forward to see a list of gigs! I wondered if you guys were still
          playing around at all. I never got a chance to see you since I became a
          prog fan recently (less than two years ago).

          Adrianne
        • Rich Kornacki
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000

            > Welcome to the list, Rich. It's nice to see someone else from CT!
            >
            > > The club sees it in terms of tickets sold and not how good a band
            > > is. There's some really good prog bands in CT, but Toads won't
            touch
            > > them (Crucible is an exception cause they have drawn lots of
            people
            > > there, maybe cause they have a real good following from
            their "cover
            > > band" gigs). I take nothing away from them though, they are
            > > excellent!!!
            >
            > I am a huge fan of Crucible, and I love to see them at Toad's Place.
            > However, those are the nights when it's not likely the place will
            fill up.
            > The place sucks to see bands like Dream Theater.. because it's sold
            out and
            > nobody can see *anything*. I see it as no loss that Toad's won't
            accept
            > prog bands. There are plenty of other places they can play without
            hassles.

            > I look forward to see a list of gigs! I wondered if you guys were
            still
            > playing around at all. I never got a chance to see you since I
            became a
            > prog fan recently (less than two years ago).
            >
            > Adrianne

            Hello Adrianne!

            We haven't played a gig in CT in a long time, we got real turned off
            by playing small little bars/clubs were most people are content to
            just play pool and they don't care who is playing. We took a lot of
            time off to write material & we start recording the new CD next week.

            The only upcoming gig is a "tentative" date for an outdoor show in
            Danbury Aug. 12th. Once the CD is released we hope to gig a lot and
            try to get a few of the bigger or more popular prog shows.

            Any ideas on good prog rock venues to play in CT???

            Thanks for the interest.

            Rich
          • Adam Levin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
              Hey Rich (and any other CT area folks),

              On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Rich Kornacki wrote:

              > Any ideas on good prog rock venues to play in CT???

              We'll be playing (with about 7-8 other bands) at the Mandelbrot Festival
              at the Elks Pavillion in Hartford this weekend. It runs from early Friday
              night through Sat night (we're scheduled for 7pm Sat). Daddy's Junky Music
              is helping to sponsor it. Much fun will be had, so come on out.

              For more info, see http://www.cleefo.com/mandelbrotsets.htm

              -Adam

              ---
              "...if one strives at hearing for the sake of constant virtue,
              out of seeking liberation from cyclic existence, gradually one
              becomes a Hearer."
              - Chandrakirti

              T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
              http://www.darkaether.net/
            • AllGdPple@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
                In a message dated 6/28/00 12:12:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                richkorn1@... writes:

                <<
[...]

                by the way, welcome to the list Rick. '97 was a special Progday indeed so
                many great bands were present that weekend.

                Anyway, my hopes were realized as stated in that post when Transatlantic
                (with Mike Portnoy in tow) selected some east coast progbands to open their
                shows, i.e., Mastermind, Scott McGill's Hand Farm and Echolyn.

                Maybe the trend will continue with Dream Theater.

                kenny