Re: [ProgAndOther] arena

  • Peter Abusamra
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2000
      Jerry,
      It's the only Arena I have and I agree-some great music there!
      Pete

      Jerry Keller wrote:

      > i have been listening to steve slys tape and i LOVE arena's
      > thevisitor. is this the way to go for a first buy?jerry np camel
      > renaissance 1001 nights vol 1
    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2000

        The CD has it's very mellow moments as well.  Out of all the purchases made thus far this year I gave it 8/10.  Shaming of the True was my number one at 9.5/10 but the new Metaphor "Starfooted" has gained top spot with 9.7/10.
         Arena is well worth the purchase.

        i think so too. its just not what i expected though.
        whats starfooted like?
        if you've reviewed it already, my apologies for not remembering
        jerry.
      • Stephen & JoAnn Ellis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2000
          Starfooted to begin with is a fantastic blend of classic prog sounds (clearly Foxtrot/Selling England Genesis era) and some interesting twists on neo-prog.  I've found every song to vibrate with me in ways only the classic prog I mentioned did.

          This CD is based on Gnostic cosmology.  As the band noted on their web site http://metaphor.org they are not Gnostics and in fact find much of this pre-Christian and early Christian era sect "icky" to use their own words. That said, this story follows the Gnostics definition of Creation.  Keep in mind that this has a clearly classic prog sound that holds it all together flawlessly.

          So the story goes as follows:  Sophia (Holy Wisdom) somehow "slipped" out of the Pleroma where the Godhead resides (Heaven).  Hoping to regain her place through imitation of the divine (a practice known as "demiurgy"), she creates as demiurge, Ialdabaoth (the Hebrew God Yahweh) and inspires him to create a world.  Ialdabaoth does this but then, having gained a taste of divine power, Ialdabaoth rebels against Sophia and contrives to keep Adam and Eve - and Sophia herself - trapped in matter, enslaved forever in the wheel of reincarnation.

          The earth for the Gnostics was a prison planet ruled by an evil tyrant.  The soul would continue to reincarnate in this "insufferable vale of tears until the power of Ialdabaoth and his evil angels (the archons" which encircle the earth) could be broken"

          I hope this doesn't turn you all off.  I find the story and the ultimate conclusion (you'll have to listen and learn for yourselves) so damn powerful and cool..

          All the while being told with the best music I've heard in 30 years!

          Captain MDA
          The CD has it's very mellow moments as well.  Out of all the purchases made thus far this year I gave it 8/10.  Shaming of the True was my number one at 9.5/10 but the new Metaphor "Starfooted" has gained top spot with 9.7/10.
           Arena is well worth the purchase.

          i think so too. its just not what i expected though.
          whats starfooted like?
          if you've reviewed it already, my apologies for not remembering
          jerry.

          ---
          The "Prog and Other" Mailing List
          To Unsubscribe, go to http://www.egroups.com/

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2000
            In a message dated 06/09/2000 5:20:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            progressions@... writes:

            << I would have to say that 'metal sounding' does this piece a disservice.
            The
            opening song hits you right between the eyes but more in a Floyd-esque way
            (heavy and strong but with keyboards in your face rather than guitars).
            Sorry, I don't hear any Shadow Gallery who I love dearly. Clive's keyboards
            dominate but are not overbearing.

            I have to agree with the Captain on this one. I would not call "The Visitor"
            metal at all, and to me it bears very little if any resemblance to Shadow
            Gallery. If anything I think "The Visitor" is more in an IQ mode than
            anything else I could compare it to.

            Steve Sly
            (NP - Jimmy Buffet - Changes In Latitudes Changes In Attitudes)