Kerry Livgren article online

  • Landgraf, Virginia
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
      A friend sent me this link:

      http://cjonline.com/stories/012100/ele_livgren.shtml

      In case it expires, I thought I'd copy the text here:

      [Headline] A wayward son carries on
      [Subheadline] Kerry Livgren, a founding member of the rock band, Kansas, is
      ready to release his latest solo album and to work on a 25th reunion album
      by the band's original lineup.

      By BILL BLANKENSHIP
      The [Topeka] Capital-Journal

      BERRYTON -- Kerry Livgren knows the advantages of having an uncle in the
      business.

      Livgren made his mark in rock history as a founding member of the band,
      Kansas, and as the composer of most of its biggest hits, including "Carry On
      Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind."

      The walls of his GrandyZine Recording Co. studio in rural Shawnee County
      include some of the gold and platinum records the band earned for its
      stellar sales.

      However, fame is fickle.

      "To this day around here people will hear my name and ask, 'Are you
      related to Ole?' They don't know who I am, but they sure remember my uncle,"
      said Livgren, referring to Ole Livgren, a member of the Pleasant Valley
      Gang, a fixture for five decades on WIBW radio.

      "He was a full-time musician all of his life," said Livgren, who recently
      mastered a self-titled EP by his nephew Jake Livgren's band, Jabberwockie.

      The studio is where Kerry Livgren has spent much of his time since leaving
      Kansas, the band, and returning home to Kansas, the state.

      "Once I wasn't in the band anymore, I made a concious effort to move in a
      different direction," said Livgren, who after a spiritual rebirth ventured
      into the Christian music world, including earning the Dove Award for
      Instrumental Album of the Year in 1989.

      However, friends kept pressuring Livgren to release on his own label,
      Numavox, the many songs he had written and recorded, "everything I've had in
      the can all these years."

      So Livgren revisited his early compositions, which he said "put me in the
      oddest frame of mind."

      "You go back to stuff you wrote when you were 18 years old, and I just
      turned 50, and suddenly I had to put myself back in that frame of mind, and
      it just sparked a whole creative glut of new stuff," he said.

      Livgren found he had enough new material to fill more than one CD. He plans
      on releasing by the end of February the first volume of "Collector's
      Sedition," which will be sold primarily on his label's website,
      http://www.numavox.com . The cover features an old photo of the Pleasant
      Valley Gang.

      Livgren also realized he had a new catalog of songs suitable for his old
      group.

      "I told them I've got a whole Kansas album worth of stuff just sitting here
      in the can," he said. "Boy, they lit up. They flew up here and listened to
      it and got all excited."

      "I can't be objective, but it's going to be one of the best Kansas albums,
      right up there with the top three," said Livgren of a collection of
      recordings the sale of which has exceeded 14 million units.

      Livgren said he set some conditions for the new Kansas album.

      "One was you've got to do it in Kansas, and since I just happen to have a
      studio, I ain't going anywhere else to do it," he said, with a smile.

      Livgren said the band is negotiating with three different labels for the
      25th reunion album by Kansas. The CD will include tracks by the band's
      original lineup, including Livgren and bassist Dave Hope, who now is a
      minister in Florida.

      "It will be the first time we've all worked together here since the early
      years," Livgren said of Kansas, whose current members live in Georgia.

      While eager to work on a new Kansas album, Livgren doesn't plan on
      rejoining the group on the road to promote it. Livgren said he long ago
      grew weary of the required travel.

      "If you could beam me onto the stage every night, that would be different,"
      he said.

      "I would rather be in the studio," he added. "When you play a gig, it's
      gone. What you do in the studio has some lasting impact."

      Livgren has equipped his studio with the latest recording equipment, which
      with today's technology means he has become a computer wizard of sorts.

      "What I can do in this room, which is the front third of a barn, is just
      astonishing," he said.

      "I've kind of come in a full circle, just like I did geographically when I
      came back here," Livgren said. "I decided, 'Why fight it?' I might as well
      do what comes naturally to me.

      "I don't care any more if it's in style. I don't care if the songs are too
      long for radio. I'm having too much fun being creative to worry about that
      stuff anymore. That's what Kansas' original attitude was.

      "I've abandoned all hopes of commerciality, and whenever I do that, I
      make the most interesting music I can make."
    • SONIQ95@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
        In a message dated 1/23/00 10:11:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        virginia.landgraf@... writes:

        An Excerpt from an intervie with Kerry.........

        << "I don't care any more if it's in style. I don't care if the songs are too
        long for radio. I'm having too much fun being creative to worry about that
        stuff anymore. That's what Kansas' original attitude was.

        Amen brother
      • AllGdPple@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
          thanks for sharing this Ginny,

          It's another in a series of announcements about these 2 releases that keep
          the anticipation at it's peak. If it doesn't happen soon we may have to storm
          the barn that is Numavox:)

          kenny