Re: Favorite Epic Song

  • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999

      <<
      How about everyone's favorite epic(10 min.+)song?Any takers?
      My all time epic goes to"Close To The Edg >>

      For me, the ultimate prog epic would still have to be "Supper's Ready" from
      Genesis. Some others that come to mind:

      "Awaken" by Yes
      "This Strange Engine" by Marillion (I agree with Grace on this one!)
      "Imp's Tale" by Crucible
      "Pirates" by Emerson Lake And Palmer
      "The Water" by Spock's Beard
      "The Light" by Spock's Beard
      "Mind Drive" by Yes

      Full albums that are basically all one long "Epic"

      Jethro Tull - "Thick As A Brick"
      Queensryche - "Operation Mindcrime"
      Marillion - "Misplaced Childhood"
      Arena - "The Visitor"
      Pink Floyd - "The Wall"
      Pink Floyd - "Darkside Of The Moon"
      Salem Hill - "The Robbery Of Murder"
      Dream Theater - "Scenes From A Memory"
      Savatage - "In The Wake Of Magellan"
      Ayreon - "Into The Electric Castle"

      I am sure I have forgotten many as well.

      Steve Sly
      (NP - Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory)
    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
        another epic that i've always liked alot is salisbury by uriah
        heep.i guess its about 18minutes and is a real "barrier breaker"
        considering that it was done in 1971 and to my ears is the first
        rock orchestral piece as opposed to what the moody blues and procol harem
        had already done.(these,i don't think are really rock)
        jerry

        np
        fish sunsets on empire
      • SONIQ95@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
          In a message dated 11/30/99 10:47:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          xcal@... writes:

          << Old: Genesis, "Stagnation". Or "Cinema Show". Can't decide. >>

          Hey Gary, Aren't you the guy frm NEARfest that wore that shirt "your favorite
          band sucks"

          I didnt know you were on this list, welcome if your new, oops to me if your
          not

          Todd
        • Peter Abusamra
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
            There's a lost classic!

            Jerry Keller wrote:

            > From: "Jerry Keller" <jerry@...>
            >
            > another epic that i've always liked alot is salisbury by uriah
            > heep.i guess its about 18minutes and is a real "barrier breaker"
            > considering that it was done in 1971 and to my ears is the first
            > rock orchestral piece as opposed to what the moody blues and procol harem
            > had already done.(these,i don't think are really rock)
            > jerry
            >
            > np
            > fish sunsets on empire
            >
            > > ---
            > The "Prog and Other" Mailing List
            > To Unsubscribe, go to http://www.onelist.com/
          • Gary Varney
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
              > Hey Gary, Aren't you the guy frm NEARfest that wore that shirt "your favorite
              > band sucks"
              >
              > I didnt know you were on this list, welcome if your new, oops to me if your
              > not

              Nope, 'twasn't me. I remember wearing an "ARMY" t-shirt one day; can't
              remember the other.

              Gary
              NP: Rush, _Caress of Steel_
            • WywrdSon69@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 1999
                In a message dated 11/30/99 11:09:17 AM EST, marabus@... writes:

                Howdy All,

                << How about everyone's favorite epic(10 min.+)song?Any takers?
                My all time epic goes to"Close To The Edge"

                My fave epic is only 8 mins--Journey from Mariabronn.
                If your *instist* on a 10+min song then I'll have to settle with "Supper's
                Ready"
                Actually, I don't give a shit about song length. Supper's Ready and Journey
                from Mariabronn are my fave epic songs. This should be fun. :-)

                Jim B.

                I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!!

                NP: Kansas--Drastic Measures
              • Peter Abusamra