Re: Digest Number 101

  • James W. Robinson Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 1999
      Howdy folks-

      >> From: Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews <eichler@...
      >>

      > <I listened to "Kindness of Strangers" while driving to and from
      >work
      > <today. I don't know why, but I get the impression of "Styx trying
      > <play Jethro Tull tunes" when I listen to them.

      Bob you do realize how funny I find this cause you know probably more
      than anyone how much I despise Styx!!!
      If I heard Styx in the Beard stuff I would not have ever purchased it.
      Ears are a funny thing.

      But I'll
      >continue
      > < to give 'em a chance.

      Can't hurt.

      > From: Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews <eichler@...>
      >
      > regarding Salem Hill's RoM:
      > <You saw it that way, I saw it as excessively melodramatic lyrics
      > <set to not particularly interesting music.

      Again amazing how differnet ears hear things so differnetly.
      I hear poignant and heartfelt lyrics without any melodramatics and
      musically I find Salem Hill to shine by their shifting musical landscape
      taking my head from mellow to intense without loosing any power or
      momentum whilest showing a good deal of virtuosity and all around highly
      skilled musicianship and composition.

      Oh well.

      All the things you
      > <describe - reading a libretto that makes you cry and hate and
      etc,
      > <that's all related to the lyrics. In my personal opinion, prog
      rock
      > <should be about progressive *music*, not lyrics.

      Interesting and understandable. In the case of many of the lyrically
      based prog I enjoy the most the music is what trigers my emotional
      reaction.

      Peace-
      Jim

      Once she ruled the earth with love and wisdom
      But we were much too smart to live her way
      With greed and lust we tried to rise above her
      The ignorance of man will reach an end
      'Cause now we're gonna die

      Death of Mother Nature Suite - Kansas 1974