Re: Help

  • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 1999
      In the last digest, Stevesly@... wrote:

      >For those of you who occasionally hang out on rec.music.progressive I need to
      >ask a favor. I am currently embroiled in a rather surly debate with a guy
      who
      >calls himself "The Irish Bastard" (aka Shawn McAfee). I posted my personal
      >top 10 list for the annual rec.music.progressive poll, and this guy is trying
      >to shred my ass.

      I hate to say it Steve, but I can see the "Bastard"'s point. Granted,
      he did "start it" by sending a post that did nothing but bad-mouth
      your picks, but he was really just expressing his opinion. He was
      doing it in a very antagonistic way, but still...

      When you replied and accused all of rec.music.prog of having narrow
      tastes that followed strict "parameters" of what is allowed to be
      prog, you were just asking for trouble. What you said is absolutely,
      100% not true - the regulars of r.m.p have *very* diverse tastes in
      music, and generally tend to disuss the more experimental things that
      *break* the "parameters" of prog (whatever those are). I think OIB
      has a very valid point when he says that your top ten list shows a
      much narrower taste in music than the people you're accusing of just
      that. (I wish I could word that better...).

      I'm not criticizing your picks at at all, just your attitude that
      anyone who dislikes neo-prog is closed-minded and has some sort of
      carved-in-stone definition of what prog has to be. That's just not
      true, in fact the exact opposite is true.

      Anyway, that's the way I saw the whole debate...

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • AllGdPple@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 1999
        In a message dated 1/1/99 11:25:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, eichler@...
        writes:

        << When you replied and accused all of rec.music.prog of having narrow
        tastes that followed strict "parameters" of what is allowed to be
        prog, you were just asking for trouble. What you said is absolutely,
        100% not true - the regulars of r.m.p have *very* diverse tastes in
        music, and generally tend to disuss the more experimental things that
        *break* the "parameters" of prog (whatever those are). I think OIB
        has a very valid point when he says that your top ten list shows a
        much narrower taste in music than the people you're accusing of just
        that. (I wish I could word that better...). >>

        No way, just because he picked them as his top 10 doesn't mean he has a narrow
        view of what is good, it simply means that comparatively, what he heard of all
        the diverse styles he heard, (and I know, as you should, that Steve listens to
        a broad scope of music), he thought that the ones listed were better.

        Nobody can listen to all the prog that is out there unless they do it for a
        living. And everybody's top 10 picks are subjective, based on what they have
        heard or what their income affords them.

        There isn't a more diverse ProgMan than I and I also selected RoM as one of my
        top 5, (#2 in my opinion). I mean, Djam Karet, Salem Hill, Mortre Macabre and
        Jack Bruce couldn't be farther apart in styles, but I include them all in my
        top 10 (Somnambulist I mentioned even though they didn't release a 98 CD).

        i love, (and that word is not enough to describe my passion for), the most
        diverse styles, the proggiest of music and yet Salem Hill's thematic
        brilliance rose above the din. not one of the CD's that i included on my list
        had a more artistic theme than RoM. the music fit the theme, the theme was
        thoroughly examined throughout the composition, the composition was perfectly
        adapted to the libretto and the libretto made me cry and hate and think and
        forgive. it is an absolutely brilliant prog work.

        kenny
      • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 1999
          Bob,

          >>I hate to say it Steve, but I can see the "Bastard"'s point. Granted,
          he did "start it" by sending a post that did nothing but bad-mouth
          your picks, but he was really just expressing his opinion. He was
          doing it in a very antagonistic way, but still...<<

          There is a difference between �expressing his opinion� and personally
          attacking me by basically implying that I was a musical idiot because of my
          list. I welcome any comments he might have on my picks, but when he starts
          personal attacks (which BTW this guy does all the time), than he can kiss my
          ass. This is the first time that I have gotten into it with him, but I have
          read his posts many times over the years, and he seems to take great delight
          in slamming people who don�t exactly agree with his personal views. The whole
          �machines are to men.....� quote that he starts his posts with is nothing more
          than a ploy to try to get a knee jerk reaction out of people, and
          unfortunately he finally succeeded with me. If you want to defend this
          asshole, that is your business Bob, but I don�t think you saw the whole thread
          from the beginning, and I still think he is in the wrong. I really, really
          hope I get the chance to meet this guy in person someday, as I wonder if he is
          as brave with his words in real life, as he is safely tucked away behind his
          computer keyboard.

          >>When you replied and accused all of rec.music.prog of having narrow
          tastes that followed strict "parameters" of what is allowed to be
          prog, you were just asking for trouble. <<

          Let me make this clear....I WAS MISQUOTED BY THIS IDIOT! I did not say that
          all of rec.music progressive was like this. What I said was (and this is a
          very big difference) that a SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE on rec.music.progressive
          were this way, and I was mainly refereeing to him and a few of his cronies on
          the list. Again, Bob I don�t think you saw the original posts, which I
          certainly don�t fault you for, but his reply contained erroneous information
          on what I wrote. I certainly do not think that all of rec.music.progressive
          is narrow minded.

          >>I'm not criticizing your picks at at all, just your attitude that
          anyone who dislikes neo-prog is closed-minded and has some sort of
          carved-in-stone definition of what prog has to be. That's just not
          true, in fact the exact opposite is true.<<

          Ya, know Bob I�m really trying to not get pissed here. You know, and everyone
          that knows me knows, that that is NOT my attitude at all. Yes, I do happen to
          like neo, and yes I do get pissed when people constantly claim that it has no
          relevance, but I try to listen to ALL music with an open mind, and try to
          respect everyone�s opinion, including yours and even The Irish Bastard�s (even
          though I still think he is an asshole....) Hell, my top 10 was not all neo
          anyway.....Liquid Tension Experiment is certainly not neo, I don�t consider
          Ayreon to be neo..........Dream Theater and Savatage are both Prog-
          metal........Marillion�s �Radiation� is not considered prog at all by a lot of
          people....ect. ect. The point is that Mr Mcfee (aka Irish Bastard) spends
          the majority of his time on rec.music.progressvie, not commenting on music,
          but looking for people to pounce on with his �supposed� intellectual
          supiriority, and extremely arrogant attitude. Like I said earlier, the prog
          world is a small one, and I hope I get to meet this guy in person some
          day.......

          Steve Sly
          (Now playing Alanis Morrisette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie)
        • Peter Abusamra
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 25, 2000
            Hi,
            I've had an mp3 of a song on my desktop for so long I can't remember
            what group did it.The song's
            called "Queen of The Ocean".I love this tune.Anyone know the group's
            name?
            Pete
          • vitaliy_heep@ukrpost.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26 12:09 AM
              Hello to the progfans .Sorry guys , but I am young progressive fan
              from Ukraine (former USSR country).I am interesting in progressive
              music , but it is really impossible to find prog albums here , or
              they are too expensive. Only sometimes I can find tapes with prog
              or cheap piracy copies of CD , but it is very rare. I suffer
              affliction because it is impossible for me to listen music that I
              love. You are my last chance. I shall be given very much thanks if
              you help me with some stuff. All what is possible (old tapes etc.),
              if it is not difficult for you. Thanks a lot. Sorry for my bad
              English it is not my native language.(griffin_2000@...).Vitalii
            • vitaliy_heep@ukrpost.net