Re: Bela Fleck

  • Jim Robinson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 1999
      I have been thinking about this whole Bela and prog crowd thing a bit so here
      goes.....
      Granted 25k is way too much to spend on NEARfest but lets just look at this
      without that issue involved. I still think that
      most folks who are into prog AND go to festivals such as N-fest are most
      definitely
      going to dig BF&tF's a lot.
      When I look at the line-up from N-fest last year there was some pretty different
      bands playing
      that bill and most everyone seemed pretty content with the diversity.
      Hell I want that variety even if it means having to put up with bands like IQ (at
      N-fest) and Thinking Plague
      (at P'day 99). A minor inconvenience really given all the fun I have had overall
      at these shows and all the discussions that have come about over all our various
      nitpickings about this that or the other band and all the "How could you not
      like....." or "How can you like..." etc etc etc.

      Peace-
      Jim

      NP-Spocks Beard - Day for Night

      Stevesly@... wrote:

      > Rob Laduca wrote:
      >
      > >>At $25K, methinks not...<<
      >
      > Wow!! I wonder if the promoter was able to make any money off of the
      > Kalamazoo show at that price. As I said the crowd looked to be around 1000,
      > but that is a lot of overhead to cover. Hell, Progday couldn�t even afford
      > Bela�s roadies at that price :-)
      >
      > >>And their standard "fan base" probably ain't that hot on bombastic
      > keyboard driven sympho prog...;<<
      >
      > Since you mention Bela�s fan base I have to comment on the crowd at the show.
      > It was probably one of the most diverse audiences I have ever seen. It
      > ranged in age from 15 to 70. There were a lot of college age kids there,
      > many of them dressed as if they were attending a Grateful Dead concert. The
      > majority of the audience sat through the show, but about 50 or so folks spent
      > the evening doing trippy dances in an alcove off to the side of the main
      > theater. I think there was definitely some hallucinogenic substances
      > involved with this bunch. I never really thought of Bela Fleck as
      > �danceable� music, but apparently no one told these folks :-) In contrast,
      > the woman sitting behind me had to be in her 60�s. She was all by herself,
      > and brought a book to read in between sets, but she was getting into it when
      > the music was playing. Whether this crowd would get into �bombastic keyboard
      > driven sympho prog� is hard to say. I will say that it is encouraging to see
      > so many young people into music such as Bela�s, and I find it hard to believe
      > that at least some of these people would enjoy prog if they were ever exposed
      > to it.
      >
      > Steve Sly
      > (NP - Cast - Beyond Reality)
      >
      > > ---
      > The "Prog and Other" Mailing List
      > To Unsubscribe, go to http://www.onelist.com/
    • Shellyn
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
        Just got back from the box office of the
        Meyerhoff Symphony Hall here in Baltimore
        from buying box seats for Bela Fleck!

        Shellyn.
      • AllGdPple@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
          In a message dated 3/2/01 12:37:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          shellyng@... writes:

          Just got back from the box office of the
          Meyerhoff Symphony Hall here in Baltimore
          from buying box seats for Bela Fleck!

          wow, enjoy the show Shellyn.......those guys are truly gifted.

          kenny