yes

  • jerry@xxxx.xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 30, 1999
      i bought "the ladder" yesterday and i
      believe this is the best stuff they've done
      since the 70s.
      this,imho, is a solid album.
      their news of their demise is premature.
      jerry
    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 29, 1999
        i read on another list that in the first week after its release, the ladder
        sold 15,000 copies.
        is this considered good?
        jerry
      • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 30, 1999
          In the last digest, "Jerry Keller" <jerry@...> wrote:

          >i read on another list that in the first week after its release, the ladder
          >sold 15,000 copies.
          >is this considered good?

          Not for a band that still thinks they should be playing stadiums...

          But to compare, over on the avant-progressive list, someone asked how
          many copies the band Happy Family have sold of their two albums. The
          guy who runs Cuneiform is on the list, so he had the data - about
          2500 copies of their first album, and under 2000 of the second. That's
          not just in the first week - that's since they've been released.

          So 15,000 isn't bad for a prog band now days, but it probably sucks
          compared to what Yes is used to selling...

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
        • Jerry Keller
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 30, 1999
            > In the last digest, "Jerry Keller" <jerry@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >i read on another list that in the first week after its release, the
            ladder
            > >sold 15,000 copies.
            > >is this considered good?

            bob said
            > Not for a band that still thinks they should be playing stadiums...

            i say:
            i don't think they do anymore. now they play small venues and charge
            diehards like me 72.50 a pop. lol
            however, i really like the ladder alot and they still put on a great show.
            so i'm putting up 145.00 plus ticketmaster charges to see them twice.
            actually the big loser is my son. hes not going at all.
            jerry
          • Jerry Keller
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 16, 1999
              i saw yes last night and i wasn't disappointed.
              they appeared at the riviera, a small theater in chicago.
              the sound was great and the band is Sooo tight.
              they nailed everything but the highlight for me was
              homeworld, off the new album. in addition to a number
              of new songs they played yours is no disgrace, awaken (wonderful)
              perpetual change, and you and i, all good people and the
              usual encore.
              as stated already the band was in top form. steve howe in particular.
              he doesn't smile but he can play.
              looking forward to tomorrow night for show2
              jerry
            • Jerry Keller
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 18, 1999
                caught yes again last night.
                had a third row seat which in this venue is about 10 feet
                away.
                they are so good live. howe, once again put on a clinic and all
                song were nailed. same set as on monday which equates to about 2:30.
                homeworld and awaken were once again the highlights.
                jerry

                np peter banks instinct
              • Jerry Keller
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 14, 2000
                  talking about yes, its been announced at yesworld that
                  billy sherwood is no longer a member.
                  jerry
                • Jerry Keller
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 25, 2000
                    well, it looks like a pretty good set list by yes (and kansas too)
                    but alas and alac..... no minddrive.
                    jerry

                    np   porcupine tree    lightbulb sun
                  • Jerry Keller
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 17, 2001
                      hey, now that its been confirmed (yesworld) that yes
                      will be touring this summer with an orchestra, whats your opinion?

                      since i doubt a new album will be released by then i imagine it will be a "classic"
                      show. personally, i'd like to hear that stuff with an orchestra. maybe minddrive too.
                      i've enjoyed symphonic shows in the past (moody blues and kansas) and
                      think this is a pretty good idea.

                      i wonder if they'll go without a keyboardist?

                      jerry

                      np   ozone quartet    nocturne
                    • soniq95@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 17, 2001
                        In a message dated 3/17/01 8:03:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                        jerry950@... writes:

                        << i wonder if they'll go without a keyboardist?

                        Blasphamy !

                        todd

                        NP Moraz Story of I
                      • Jerry Keller
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 9, 2001
                          i saw YES last night in chicago and once again was treated
                          to a stellar performance. these guys always put on a great show.
                          they played about 2hrs 40 min with only 2 new songs being played
                          from their upcoming album. "don't go " sounded like something off open your
                          eyes
                          and "in the presence of" much more of a classic yes tune. i don't know why
                          they didn't play anything off recent albums. i would have liked to hear
                          homeworld and
                          minddrive but " oh well"
                          it was another night of epics ala last years tour but hell they played them
                          great.
                          close to the edge, gates of delirium, ritual and semi-epics perpetual chand,
                          and you and i
                          and starship trooper. in addition there was wonderous stories, long distance
                          runaround,
                          i've seen all good people and of course roundabout. i'm always happy that
                          they close with roundabout
                          because it allows me to leave and beat the traffic.
                          i really enjoyed the addition of an orchestra. they played on most songs but
                          not all. they were high
                          enough in the mix to really add to the total sound. i found it was
                          particularly effective
                          on CTTE and AYAI. at the crescendo of CTTE there i was with a big stupid
                          grin on my face.
                          a great night all in all.
                          btw, they played at the ayrie crown theatre which holds about 5000 and it
                          was just about sold out.

                          jerry

                          np nathan mahl heretik pt2
                        • rich mueller
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 5 8:54 AM
                            On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:15:28 -0500 "Jerry Keller" <jerry950@...>
                            writes:
                            > i caught YES last night in chicago. they put on their usual excellent
                            > show,
                            > but why
                            > they decided to play arenas this time is beyond me. they had the
                            > stage set
                            > up at center court
                            > so half the place was closed anyway. i'd much prefer a theatre
                            > setting.

                            Me too! Did they have that fancy Roger Dean set?

                            > btw, supposedly on the fall leg of this tour, opening will be dream
                            > theater.

                            Bummer! Seems like an odd fit. I kind of like an evening of Yes.
                            Maybe if I catch one of these shows it might change my opinion of DT.

                            rich
                          • RapIsEvilCulture@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 5 11:24 AM
                              So what did yes play?
                            • Jerry Keller
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 5 11:50 AM
                                From: RapIsEvilCulture@... [mailto:RapIsEvilCulture@...]
                                So what did yes play?

                                i don't want to give it away as there might be some with upcoming shows who
                                might want
                                to be surprised.
                                go to www.yesworld.com

                                click on tour reviews. there are set lists for most of the shows. it doesn't
                                change that much.
                                i thought it was a pretty strong setlist.
                                jerry
                              • Pete
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 5 3:17 PM
                                  Jerry,
                                  I get to see them in a skating arena on the 15th!
                                  Pete

                                  Jerry Keller wrote:

                                  > i caught YES last night in chicago. they put on their usual excellent
                                  > show,
                                  > but why
                                  > they decided to play arenas this time is beyond me. they had the stage set
                                  > up at center court
                                  > so half the place was closed anyway. i'd much prefer a theatre setting.
                                  > btw, supposedly on the fall leg of this tour, opening will be dream
                                  > theater.
                                  > interesting.
                                  >
                                  > jerry
                                • progjeff2000
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 6 6:37 AM
                                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Pete <marabus@c...> wrote:
                                    > Jerry,
                                    > I get to see them in a skating arena on the 15th!
                                    > Pete

                                    With luck, Wakeman will bust out the whole Ice Capades/King Arthur
                                    thing. That would be most excellent!
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 6 7:53 AM
                                      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progjeff2000"
                                      <jeffrey.n.oaster@w...> wrote:
                                      > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Pete <marabus@c...> wrote:
                                      > > Jerry,
                                      > > I get to see them in a skating arena on the 15th!
                                      > > Pete
                                      > >
                                      > With luck, Wakeman will bust out the whole Ice Capades/King Arthur
                                      > thing. That would be most excellent!

                                      Do any of the NHL rinks still have a live organist, or have
                                      they all switched over to pre-recorded music? I could see
                                      Wakeman busting out something from Six Wives as the winning
                                      goal of game 7 of the finals is scored.

                                      It would sure beat the Chicken Dance or Rock and Roll pt. 2
                                      for the thousandth time.

                                      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                                    • progjeff2000
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 6 8:07 AM
                                        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:

                                        > Do any of the NHL rinks still have a live organist, or have
                                        > they all switched over to pre-recorded music? I could see
                                        > Wakeman busting out something from Six Wives as the winning
                                        > goal of game 7 of the finals is scored.

                                        Yeah, like when he plays "Hallelujah" on the mellotron. After all, it
                                        would require diving intervention for a Philadelphia team to win a
                                        championship

                                        I'd also love to hear Magma's "de Futura" during team introductions.
                                        And, in the far-off future, should I ever decide to trust someone
                                        enough to remarry, that *will* be my walk-in music.

                                        > It would sure beat the Chicken Dance or Rock and Roll pt. 2
                                        > for the thousandth time.
                                        >
                                        > -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

                                        Na na na. Hey. etc etc. At least some arena play Floyd's "On the Run"
                                        and that one Alan Parsons' Project song that sounds like a Floyd tune.

                                        - Jeff, who doesn't think that any more hockey arenas use organists
                                        anymore. Bummer.

                                        NP: Hatfield and the North, Rotters Club
                                      • tjhiggin@hiwaay.net
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 6 8:28 AM
                                          progjeff2000 writes:
                                          > Na na na. Hey. etc etc. At least some arena play Floyd's "On the Run"
                                          > and that one Alan Parsons' Project song that sounds like a Floyd tune.

                                          I believe the song you're thinking of is "Sirius," from the Eye In
                                          The Sky album. Hear a sound clip at amazon.com.

                                          BTW, Parsons has a LOT more than just one song that sounds like Floyd!

                                          T.J.
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 6 12:08 PM
                                            "progjeff2000" <jeffrey.n.oaster@w...> wrote:
                                            > "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > Do any of the NHL rinks still have a live organist, or have
                                            > > they all switched over to pre-recorded music? I could see
                                            > > Wakeman busting out something from Six Wives as the winning
                                            > > goal of game 7 of the finals is scored.
                                            >
                                            > Yeah, like when he plays "Hallelujah" on the mellotron. After all,
                                            > it would require diving intervention for a Philadelphia team to
                                            > win a championship

                                            Well, I wasn't thinking specifically about the Flyers, but that
                                            would be nice. Does Wakeman have a song called "About Friggin'
                                            Time?"

                                            "Diving intervention"? Is that what Darcey Tucker specializes in?

                                            > I'd also love to hear Magma's "de Futura" during team introductions.
                                            > And, in the far-off future, should I ever decide to trust someone
                                            > enough to remarry, that *will* be my walk-in music.

                                            Dude, you've escaped. You shouldn't even be thinking about
                                            returning to the dark side yet. ;-) Of course, if you find
                                            a woman willing to walk down the aisle to Magma, you should
                                            probably marry her as quickly as possible.

                                            > Na na na. Hey. etc etc. At least some arena play Floyd's "On the
                                            > Run" and that one Alan Parsons' Project song that sounds like a
                                            > Floyd tune.

                                            I've noticed a lot of Rush too, and not just from the Canadian
                                            teams. And whoever does the background music at the beginning
                                            of Comcast's Flyers broadcasts sometimes sneaks in some Phish.

                                            > - Jeff, who doesn't think that any more hockey arenas use organists
                                            > anymore. Bummer.

                                            For some reason I'm thinking Chicago might, but maybe I'm just
                                            imagining that.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 6 12:23 PM
                                              wrote:
                                              > "progjeff2000" <jeffrey.n.oaster@w...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > - Jeff, who doesn't think that any more hockey arenas use
                                              > > organists anymore. Bummer.
                                              >
                                              > For some reason I'm thinking Chicago might, but maybe I'm just
                                              > imagining that.

                                              I looked it up on the web and found out that Chicago does have
                                              an organ...sort of. It's not a pipe organ, it's digital. But
                                              they do have one. Apparently the Phoenix Coyotes do too, as
                                              do the Minnesota Wild. I know I've heard organ music during
                                              Flyers games, but I don't know if it was pre-recorded or live.
                                              There may be other teams - I couldn't find a definitive list.