Re: 1998 Finds

  • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 1998
      In the last digest, tjhiggin@... (T.J. Higgins) wrote:
      >Subject: Re: 1998 Finds
      >
      >Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade Of Grey, Awaken The Guardian, No
      >Exit, Parallels. Being a headbanger, I knew I would like these, I
      >had just never gotten around to buying them. After some of the
      >spacier stuff I've been listening to over the months, it's really
      >refreshing to be bludgeoned into numbness by heavy metal! If you
      >like Rush, Dream Theater, etc., you'll like FW.

      I found a Fate's Warning CD really cheap (like around $2) in a
      used CD shop and decided to give them a try. The one I picked
      up is called "Inside Out". It was really pretty lame. Not very
      prog, not even particularly "metal", just weak pop. I think there's
      one short instrumental near the end that was nice, but other than
      that... So, did I just pick up one of their lamer albums?

      >King Crimson - Larks Tongue In Aspic, In The Court Of The Crimson
      >King, Starless And Bible Black. I'd had Discipline for a while and
      >really liked it, and bought these purely on recommendations from the
      >net. The early Crimson doesn't do it for me, though, it's just too
      >bizarre.

      I'm glad to hear someone else say they don't care for early Crimson.
      I don't think it's too bizarre, but other than "21st Century...",
      most of the songs on "Court" put me to sleep. Too mellow.

      >Turns out one of my homebrewing buddies is a big Crimson
      >fan and says I'd probably like Thrak since I like Discipline. He's
      >bringing it to our brew meeting tomorrow for me to borrow, so we'll
      >see.

      You'll probably like Thrak - it's closer to 80's Crimson than
      60s/70s Crimson (although it does a pretty good job of blending
      all three eras together).

      >Liquid Tension Experiment
      >I love Dream Theater, especially Falling Into Infinity and A Change Of
      >Seasons. LTE is just a little too busy-sounding, though. I like it,
      >but I don't love it. At the Salem Hill show in Winston-Salem, POTSWer
      >Jim Robinson recommended Black Light Syndrome (BLS, Bruford-Levin-?),
      >so I'll be checking that out. He says it's not as busy-sounding as
      >LTE, probaby because Portnoy isn't on it. He is one busy drummer.

      I meant to mention Black Light Syndrome (BTW, the ? is Stevens, the
      guitarist) when I did my list of '98 finds, but I ran out of time.
      BLS is more laid-back than LTE, so it's probably what you're looking
      for. More finesse playing, but it still rocks in places. Personally,
      I like both LTE and BLS a lot.

      Oh, and one more ProgDay story - Saturday night I was wandering around
      the Travel Time parking lot and ran into the very, very drunk vocalist
      from Crucible. He pulled me over to a party that was going on, and
      introduced me to all the members of his band and members of After the
      Fall who were also there. Then, about a minute later, he noticed me
      again and re-introduced me to everyone. I think he wins the award
      for "most altered state of mind" of ProgDay. ;-)

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • Sam Bates
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
        A huge "AMEN" to you comment about Spock's Beard --Kindness to Strangers.
        This is the best CD I have aquired in a long, long time.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18, 1998
          This is my first post to the ProgAndOther list. My name's Dave McCoy
          and I'm an occasional poster to the PotSW list. I'm a prog fan but some
          of my very favorite artists are not prog.

          Fav artists: Camel, Fish, Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Marillion,
          Moody Blues, Alan Parsons, Pendragon, Renaissance, Saga,
          Simple Minds, Spock's Beard, Cat Stevens, Al Stewart,
          Supertramp, Yes, and others.

          Top 15 albums:
          1) Famous Last Words Al Stewart
          2) Misplaced Childhood Marillion
          3) Stormwatch Jethro Tull
          4) Leftoverture Kansas
          5) Clutching at Straws Marillion
          6) Worlds Apart Saga
          7) Heavy Horses Jethro Tull
          8) Tales of Mystery & Imag Alan Parsons Project
          9) Crime of the Century Supertramp
          10) Going For the One Yes
          11) Trespass Genesis
          12) Ever IQ
          13) The World Pendragon
          14) Homecoming America
          15) Pyramid Alan Parsons Project

          I've ranked my entire collection of 270 cds, if anyone's interested(some
          day I'll put it on a web site).

          I actually did have a reason for posting. I noticed Sam Bates mentioned
          Spock's Beard. Yesterday I was at Tower Records(I live in So. Calif)
          and they had all 3 Spock's Beard cds. So anyone wanting to try them out
          should be able to pick them up.

          Dave McCoy
          dmccoy@...
        • dmccoy@xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18, 1998
            >Magellan - Test Of Wills.
            >Their lyrics, melodies, and the way they integrate the trombone are
            >all fantastic. I just can't stand the way the guy sings.

            T.J.,
            How does the guy sing? I saw this at Tower yesterday and
            was thinking about getting it.

            Dave McCoy
            dmccoy@...
          • tjhiggin@xxxxx.xxx.xxxx.xxxxxx.x.xxxxxxx
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 1998
              Dave McCoy writes:
              > T.J. Higgins wrote:
              > >Magellan - Test Of Wills.
              > >Their lyrics, melodies, and the way they integrate the trombone are
              > >all fantastic. I just can't stand the way the guy sings.
              >
              > T.J.,
              > How does the guy sing? I saw this at Tower yesterday and
              > was thinking about getting it.

              It's hard to describe, but the guy simply won't hold a note. He
              always does this "wavering" thing with his voice. I find it annoying
              as hell.

              There is an album review at http://home1.gte.net/mawyatt/12D/reviews.htm

              I found one .WAV file at http://www.magnacarta.net/sound/magellan3.wav
              but it is very short and doesn't give a full experience of the
              wavering.

              --
            • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 1998

                <<
                I actually did have a reason for posting. I noticed Sam Bates mentioned
                Spock's Beard. Yesterday I was at Tower Records(I live in So. Calif)
                and they had all 3 Spock's Beard cds. So anyone wanting to try them out
                should be able to pick them up. >>

                Hi Dave,

                Spock's Beard's cds are now being distributed by Metal Blade records which
                should make them pretty easy to find in most music/cd stores.

                Steve Sly
                (Now playing Squeeze - Round And About)
              • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 1998

                  <<
                  It's hard to describe, but the guy simply won't hold a note. He
                  always does this "wavering" thing with his voice. I find it annoying
                  as hell. >>

                  Hi T.J.

                  Magellan is one of those bands that people either really seem to like, or not
                  like much at all. Personally I like them a lot, but I can see where Trent
                  Gardener's vocals might turn people off. I think they have a really unique
                  sound, but it is not for everyone.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 1998
                    Yeah, since I live in Little Rock, AR can't find much prog here. Ordered
                    two Spocks Beard CDs from Tower over the Internet. They arrived in a very
                    timely fashion without a hitch.
                    >This is my first post to the ProgAndOther list. My name's Dave McCoy
                    >and I'm an occasional poster to the PotSW list. I'm a prog fan but some
                    >of my very favorite artists are not prog.
                    >
                    >Fav artists: Camel, Fish, Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Marillion,
                    > Moody Blues, Alan Parsons, Pendragon, Renaissance, Saga,
                    > Simple Minds, Spock's Beard, Cat Stevens, Al Stewart,
                    > Supertramp, Yes, and others.
                    >
                    >Top 15 albums:
                    >1) Famous Last Words Al Stewart
                    >2) Misplaced Childhood Marillion
                    >3) Stormwatch Jethro Tull
                    >4) Leftoverture Kansas
                    >5) Clutching at Straws Marillion
                    >6) Worlds Apart Saga
                    >7) Heavy Horses Jethro Tull
                    >8) Tales of Mystery & Imag Alan Parsons Project
                    >9) Crime of the Century Supertramp
                    >10) Going For the One Yes
                    >11) Trespass Genesis
                    >12) Ever IQ
                    >13) The World Pendragon
                    >14) Homecoming America
                    >15) Pyramid Alan Parsons Project
                    >
                    >I've ranked my entire collection of 270 cds, if anyone's interested(some
                    >day I'll put it on a web site).
                    >
                    >I actually did have a reason for posting. I noticed Sam Bates mentioned
                    >Spock's Beard. Yesterday I was at Tower Records(I live in So. Calif)
                    >and they had all 3 Spock's Beard cds. So anyone wanting to try them out
                    >should be able to pick them up.
                    >
                    > Dave McCoy
                    > dmccoy@...

                  • Eric Baillargeon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 19, 1998
                      Sam Bates wrote:

                      > From: "Sam Bates" <sambates@...>
                      >
                      > Yeah, since I live in Little Rock, AR can't find much prog here. Ordered
                      > two Spocks Beard CDs from Tower over the Internet. They arrived in a very
                      > timely fashion without a hitch.

                      FYI

                      Spock's Beard will be releasing a rarities disc that will only be
                      available on there website next month. http://www.spocksbeard.com/

                      Eric