Re: [ProgAndOther] road trip music to prog day

  • sdsly
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
      I will be on a plane so just have my I-Pod.  But.....I have over 9000 songs on it,so I am sure something will click.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 24, 2013
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

        > 100 miles, yes that is impressive. I got into biking for a while
        > back about 10 years ago or so and got up to where I could do
        > about 35 to 40 miles, but that was about the limit.

        This was my third serious attempt at it. I tried two years ago and only made it 52 miles because the day I scheduled for the ride turned out to be the hottest, most humid day of the Summer, so I didn't last long.

        Last summer I waited until well into Fall to avoid the heat, and we ended up getting a freak cold snap on the day I picked - when I started out in the morning, I had to wear gloves and a winter coat. About a mile into the ride, my odometer broke and it took half the day to get a new one installed, so I only made it 64 miles that time.

        But on Saturday everything lined up - perfect weather, no mechanical failures, I was able to get a relatively early start so by lunch time I already had 41 miles ridden and was still feeling good, so I was determined to finish it this time.

        I actually quit around 6pm with 10 miles to go because my legs felt like they had turned to rubber with broken glass ground up inside, so I went home, ate an entire pizza, laid flat on the floor and watched TV for two hours. Then I realized that there was about an hour of daylight left and I was never going to get closer to finishing 100 miles than I was right then, so I forced myself to go out and ride the last 10 miles by doing 40 laps around a little quarter mile path at a park near my house.

        Final stats:

        Distance ridden: 100.2 miles

        Time: 8:30am to approx 9pm

        Route: Elizabethtown PA to Lebanon PA rails-to-trails (41 miles), Hershey PA bike path (15 miles), Harrisburg PA Capital Area Greenbelt (34 miles), Randolph park (10.2 miles)

        According to the trip computer on my bike odometer:

        Max speed: 28.4 mph
        Avg speed: 12.8 mph
        Total time on bike: 7 hrs, 48 minutes
        Calories burned: 4,766
      • progluvr
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
          Hey, I'm impressed!!  About the bike ride...puts me to shame.  : )

          Deb

          In a message dated 8/23/2013 4:31:39 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, eichler2@... writes:

          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS70)" <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:

          > I'll buy a Belgian to share with you Bob E as usual :^)

          I've been trying to cut back on my drinking because lately it seems like every time I have a few beers, I get a terrible hangover that lasts for days. I'm sure ProgDay will put that resolution to the test though.

          As part of my healthier living initiative, I'm trying to exercise more, mostly in the form of bike rides. Last weekend I managed to ride 100 miles in one day, which has been a goal of mine for years. Why do I mention it? Because I'm mentioning it to EVERYBODY. I rode 100 friggin' miles. On a mountain bike. Which utterly failed to impress my wife. "I was going to call the cops - I thought you had a heart attack and were lying dead by the road somewhere."

          -- Bob

        • sdorth
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
            I'll be there this year. My attendance of prog fests has been greatly reduced since the birth of my son, so I'm really looking forward to this. I need a breather from work, too, so it'll be double the fun.

            I'm planning on attending the Friday and Saturday night shows as well, so I'm hoping some of the rest of you will show up as well. In fact, it would be nice to arrange a group departure from the hotel. You know, designated driver and all that...

            Once again, I know very few of the bands playing this year. Oblivion Sun, Miriodor and Morglbl are about it.

            I've already bought some refreshments for the trip. Lots of Hefe Weizen and a few bottles of assorted whiskeys. Gotta keep up the tradition, don't cha know.

            Cheers,

            Scott