Re: [ProgAndOther] Gettin' psyched for ProgDay

  • Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS70)
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
      I was hoping that Tohpati's (simakDialog) side project Tohpati's Bertiga would do a show as well. Very different than his work with SD as it's just a three piece. Damn good guitarist. I think it's a pretty damn good line up this year, very experimental, even for Prog Day.

      Have 7 new discs to play for the trip there courtesy of Greg Walker and my employer. Mostly Italian. Hope Chris L has a table this year

      I would love to see Dreadnaught again Friday night, but I probably won't make it, but weird shit has happened before.

      I'll buy a Belgian to share with you Bob E as usual :^)

      -scott

      From: "stevesly@..." <stevesly@...>
      Date: Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:45 PM
      To: "ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com" <ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [ProgAndOther] Gettin' psyched for ProgDay

      I will be there.  Doing a little work (front gate, gopher, cleanup), but mostly there as a spectator.  Bands I am most looking forward to seeing are Thank You Scientists and Oblivion Sun.  I think the Iranian band will be interesting and proof that music can cross cultural / political / religious boundaries.  Who woulda thunk that a band from Iran would be playing ProgDay.  Glad it worked out the way it did.  I’m sure Simak Dialog will be a smoking way to end the fest, although I can’t say I am all that familiar with their material.  I think Herd Of Instinct will probably smoke as well.  As for the night shows, I am going to play them by ear.  I really like the lineup on both Friday and Saturday nights, but this is ProgDay weekend, so…………..ya never know how things are going to go when you start running into people you only see once a year.  We’ll see……..

      Steve

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

        > I can't say I am all that familiar with their material.

        I think this year might be the most bands I've ever been familiar with going in to ProgDay. Usually I only know one or two of the bands, if that. This year, counting the Local 506 shows, there are six bands that I've seen before or own CDs by:

        3rd Degree
        Dreadnaught
        Half Past Four
        Morglbl
        Miriodor
        Oblivion Sun

        Of course, five of those six have played ProgDay before, which is why I know of them.

        I wonder if there have ever been five alumni bands playing ProgDay weekend before? I remember a year where the preshow was made up of three ProgDay alumni (Smokin' Granny, Dark Aether Project and French TV), but I think 5 in one year might be a record.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...> wrote:

          > We will be seeing Steve Winwood and the Allman Brothers
          > in Raleigh on Friday night.

          I'm jealous - the Allman Brothers are one of those bands that I've always wanted to see in concert but have never had the chance. Let me know how the show was when you see me out at Storybook.

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS70)" <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:

            > I'll buy a Belgian to share with you Bob E as usual :^)

            I've been trying to cut back on my drinking because lately it seems like every time I have a few beers, I get a terrible hangover that lasts for days. I'm sure ProgDay will put that resolution to the test though.

            As part of my healthier living initiative, I'm trying to exercise more, mostly in the form of bike rides. Last weekend I managed to ride 100 miles in one day, which has been a goal of mine for years. Why do I mention it? Because I'm mentioning it to EVERYBODY. I rode 100 friggin' miles. On a mountain bike. Which utterly failed to impress my wife. "I was going to call the cops - I thought you had a heart attack and were lying dead by the road somewhere."

            -- Bob
          • progholio@juno.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013

              jesus, 100 miles on a bicycle - i'm very impressed, nice work.

              if I get to do 100 miles on my motorcycle i'd be ecstatic.

              regarding PD, Connie and I will be there as well as my florida buddy Paulie.

              I'm looking very forward to this year's offerings especially Miriodor and Oblivion Sun, a lot of the others i'm not familiar with but seem very promising.

              A lot of people seemed intrigued by Iran's Mavara  (me too) probably because most people don't associate much in the way of rock music coming from that region. I don't know how easy it is to put together a rock band in Iran, i'm thinking it's not as easy as it is in the West.

              Kind of reminds me of the subject matter from an excellent documentary called 'Heavy Metal in Bagdad'  -  if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

              rich

              > I'll buy a Belgian to share with you Bob E as usual :^)

              I've been trying to cut back on my drinking because lately it seems like every time I have a few beers, I get a terrible hangover that lasts for days. I'm sure ProgDay will put that resolution to the test though.

              As part of my healthier living initiative, I'm trying to exercise more, mostly in the form of bike rides. Last weekend I managed to ride 100 miles in one day, which has been a goal of mine for years. Why do I mention it? Because I'm mentioning it to EVERYBODY. I rode 100 friggin' miles. On a mountain bike. Which utterly failed to impress my wife. "I was going to call the cops - I thought you had a heart attack and were lying dead by the road somewhere."

              30-second trick for a flat belly
              TheFatBurningHormone.com
            • sdsly
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                The Allman’s are also a bucket list band for me.  I actually had tickets to see them once a couple of years ago, but the show was cancelled.  I have seen Warren Haynes with Gov’t Mule several times, but never the Allmans.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                  100 miles, yes that is impressive.  I got into biking for a while back about 10 years ago or so and got up to where I could do about 35 to 40 miles, but that was about the limit.
                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                    I saw the Allmans with Warren and Woody (2/3 of Govt Mule) in a small concert venue. 3 hours of wonderful music. Betts was still with them then too. He played his normal slot and Warren filled in for Dwayne on slide. If you don't have the last album by AB, Hittin' The Note, your are missing out. Warren replacing Betts, and Derek Trucks replacing Dwayne for slide guitar.

                    As an aside, anytime you get a chance to see Warren Haynes with ANYBODY, go. He is now the hardest working man in show biz.

                    -scott

                    From: "stevesly@..." <stevesly@...>
                    Date: Friday, August 23, 2013 5:08 PM
                    To: "ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com" <ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: Re: [ProgAndOther] Re: Gettin' psyched for ProgDay

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                      Forgot one thing.

                      If you don't own Gov't Mule's album "Dose" (their second), you are probably going to hell. So I recommend buying it to increase your chances of having a good time in your afterlife.

                      -scott

                      From: "stevesly@..." <stevesly@...>
                      Date: Friday, August 23, 2013 5:08 PM
                      To: "ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com" <ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                        Normally, I would download all of the mp3 music that is on the progday.net web site. But I didn't do that this year. I want to be completely surprised by the bands I don't know. So, in my infinite wisdom, I ordered a few discs for the trip. Courtesy of Greg Walker and my employer, here they are;

                        Ingranaggi Della Valle - In Hoc Signo

                        Unreal City - La Crudelta Di Aprile

                        Not A Good Sign – s/t

                        Coscienza di Zeno - Sensitivita

                        Musea Rosenbach – Barbarica

                        The Tangent – Le Sacre Du Travail

                        Anima Mundi – The Lamplighter

                        Five out of the seven are Italian, so I must be on a binge. TJ will be thrilled. I've only made one pass through each album, so it would be unfair to judge them at this point.

                        Will be listening to them on the way to Chapel Hill. Listening to newly bought records on the way back home I suspect.

                        If you did the same, let's hear about it.

                        -scott

                      • sdsly
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                          "Hittin The Note" is a great album no doubt.  Warren live always deliveres.

                          Steve

                          From: "stevesly@..." <stevesly@...>
                          Date: Friday, August 23, 2013 5:08 PM
                          To: "ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com" <ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                            I would say that if you do own it your chances of going to hell are greatly maginfied.

                            Steve

                            From: "stevesly@..." <stevesly@...>
                            Date: Friday, August 23, 2013 5:08 PM
                            To: "ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com" <ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 23, 2013
                              I will be on a plane so just have my I-Pod.  But.....I have over 9000 songs on it,so I am sure something will click.

                              Steve

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 24, 2013
                                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

                                > 100 miles, yes that is impressive. I got into biking for a while
                                > back about 10 years ago or so and got up to where I could do
                                > about 35 to 40 miles, but that was about the limit.

                                This was my third serious attempt at it. I tried two years ago and only made it 52 miles because the day I scheduled for the ride turned out to be the hottest, most humid day of the Summer, so I didn't last long.

                                Last summer I waited until well into Fall to avoid the heat, and we ended up getting a freak cold snap on the day I picked - when I started out in the morning, I had to wear gloves and a winter coat. About a mile into the ride, my odometer broke and it took half the day to get a new one installed, so I only made it 64 miles that time.

                                But on Saturday everything lined up - perfect weather, no mechanical failures, I was able to get a relatively early start so by lunch time I already had 41 miles ridden and was still feeling good, so I was determined to finish it this time.

                                I actually quit around 6pm with 10 miles to go because my legs felt like they had turned to rubber with broken glass ground up inside, so I went home, ate an entire pizza, laid flat on the floor and watched TV for two hours. Then I realized that there was about an hour of daylight left and I was never going to get closer to finishing 100 miles than I was right then, so I forced myself to go out and ride the last 10 miles by doing 40 laps around a little quarter mile path at a park near my house.

                                Final stats:

                                Distance ridden: 100.2 miles

                                Time: 8:30am to approx 9pm

                                Route: Elizabethtown PA to Lebanon PA rails-to-trails (41 miles), Hershey PA bike path (15 miles), Harrisburg PA Capital Area Greenbelt (34 miles), Randolph park (10.2 miles)

                                According to the trip computer on my bike odometer:

                                Max speed: 28.4 mph
                                Avg speed: 12.8 mph
                                Total time on bike: 7 hrs, 48 minutes
                                Calories burned: 4,766
                              • progluvr
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
                                  Hey, I'm impressed!!  About the bike ride...puts me to shame.  : )

                                  Deb

                                  In a message dated 8/23/2013 4:31:39 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, eichler2@... writes:

                                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS70)" <scott.d.storey@...> wrote:

                                  > I'll buy a Belgian to share with you Bob E as usual :^)

                                  I've been trying to cut back on my drinking because lately it seems like every time I have a few beers, I get a terrible hangover that lasts for days. I'm sure ProgDay will put that resolution to the test though.

                                  As part of my healthier living initiative, I'm trying to exercise more, mostly in the form of bike rides. Last weekend I managed to ride 100 miles in one day, which has been a goal of mine for years. Why do I mention it? Because I'm mentioning it to EVERYBODY. I rode 100 friggin' miles. On a mountain bike. Which utterly failed to impress my wife. "I was going to call the cops - I thought you had a heart attack and were lying dead by the road somewhere."

                                  -- Bob

                                • sdorth
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
                                    I'll be there this year. My attendance of prog fests has been greatly reduced since the birth of my son, so I'm really looking forward to this. I need a breather from work, too, so it'll be double the fun.

                                    I'm planning on attending the Friday and Saturday night shows as well, so I'm hoping some of the rest of you will show up as well. In fact, it would be nice to arrange a group departure from the hotel. You know, designated driver and all that...

                                    Once again, I know very few of the bands playing this year. Oblivion Sun, Miriodor and Morglbl are about it.

                                    I've already bought some refreshments for the trip. Lots of Hefe Weizen and a few bottles of assorted whiskeys. Gotta keep up the tradition, don't cha know.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Scott