Frank Zappa-A Token Of His Extreme NTSC (Region 1) DVD

  • marabus
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2013
      For Bob;taken from the Wayside new releases e-mail.

      Frank Zappa-A Token Of His Extreme NTSC (Region 1) DVD $12.00
      Amazing. This is one of the unavailable holy grails for Zappa fans, which has never been seen since its one airing in 1974. Parts of it appear on The Dub Room Special DVD, but only parts.
      The band is amazing and the performances are amazing and the INSANE claymation by Bruce Bickford is amazing (although it does disrupt the visual flow of the concert). Nearly 75' long! Highly recommended!
      "Recorded on August 27, 1974 at KCET in Hollywood, A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME features Frank Zappa with five incredibly talented band members for this extravaganza of live music.
      The line-up exists of
      Frank Zappa guitar, percussion, vocals
      George Duke keyboards, finger cymbals, tambourine, vocals
      Napoleon Murphy Brock sax, vocals
      Ruth Underwood percussion
      Tom Fowler bass
      Chester Thompson drums
      FZ: This was put together with my own money and my own time and it's been offered to television networks and to syndication and it has been steadfastly rejected by the American television industry. It has been shown in primetime in France and Switzerland, with marvelous results. It's probably one of the finest pieces of video work that any human being has ever done. I did it myself. And the animation that you're gonna see in this was done by a guy named Bruce Bickford, and I hope he is watching the show, because it's probably the first time that a lot of people in America got a chance to see it.
      - FZ appearing on the Mike Douglas Show, 1976
      Because Token has never been commercially released until now, it is one of the most sought after Frank Zappa programs."
      The Dog Breath Variations/ Uncle Meat
      Montana
      Earl Of Duke (George Duke)
      Florentine Pogen
      Stink-Foot
      Pygmy Twylyte
      Room Service
      Inca Roads
      Oh No/ Son Of Orange County
      More Trouble Every Day
      A Token Of My Extreme [Eagle Vision]

      http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Products/Zappa--Frank---A-Token-of-His-Extreme-DVD__EV-spc-306159.aspx
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2013
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, marabus <marabus@...> wrote:

        > For Bob;taken from the Wayside new releases e-mail.
        >
        > Frank Zappa-A Token Of His Extreme NTSC (Region 1) DVD $12.00

        Thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure I saw this years ago when
        someone on alt.fan.frank-zappa made me a VHS dub of it. If I'm
        thinking of the right thing, it was pretty good.

        I'll probably throw that in with my next order from the Zappa
        family web site. I don't know though - for as much music as I
        listen to, I've found that I hardly ever watch concert videos.
        I'll buy them, watch 'em once and then they sit on the shelf
        collecting dust. I bought the second "Romantic Warriors" prog
        documentary DVD at ProgDay last year and still haven't gotten
        around to watching it. I just never seem to have the time to
        sit and watch music videos.

        > FZ: It's probably one of the finest pieces of video work that
        > any human being has ever done. I did it myself.

        That's Frank - the picture of modesty.