Re: I still don't get grunge.

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

      > In that pile were Soundgarden's "Superunknown"

      I forgot to mention that the first time I heard "Black Hole Sun" on the radio, I thought it was a new Spinal Tap song. No joke.

      -- Bob
    • sdorth
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
        Grunge came of age just as I graduated from college. I first heard Nirvana and didn't think much of it. My favorite bands of the genre are Soundgarden and Alice in Chains

        Soundgarden sounded like a modern Black Sabbath to me in some ways. I really enjoy them as a heavy metal band. Just good rock and roll with some great songwriting and some odd meter here and there. Badmotorfinger started it out. They next album (Superunknown) was good and they kind went downhill after that. And don't listen to any live stuff.

        Alice In Chains was something that took a bit of getting into, but the two-part harmonies on top of some great guitar riffage tickled me just right. Dirt was the album that cemented me as a fan.

        I loves me some STP, too. Those guys have it all. Especially the second and third albums (Purple and Tiny Music). Great songwriting, great riffs and really interesting arrangements and production techniques.

        I like a bit of Nirvana now and then, but never bought any of their albums.

        Temple of The Dog was a great one-off record of members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Great album. Part jam band, good songs and a tribute to the singer of MotherLoveBone.

        For me, Pearl Jam started off great with their first album and kind of slid down from there. I gave up after Vitology. I still listen to the the first two albums occasionally.

        The rest of the bands in the genre never made it on my heavy rotation. The Singles soundtrack has a nice smattering of them.

        So, so for me, grunge gave me more straight up rock and roll and heavy metal that just wasn't available from the the other genres of the time: speed metal, pop rock, hair metal, etc.

        Scott