Re: [ProgAndOther] I still don't get grunge.

  • sdsly
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
      The only grunge bands that I ever got into were Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains.  Other than that it did very little for me.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2013
        yup, grunge had it's day, gone now and about as silly as a pair of parachute pants.

        i have to admit that i pretty well welcomed it with open arms as the pop musical dreck of the 80's never did register with me and the spandex metal, well it was time to go.

        i will always hold Nirvana's Nevermind album with the same regard as Close to the Edge or Leftoverture, i also think Soundgarden's stuff aged very well (i always tought they had a heavy Sabbath influence which is always ok by me).

        after that it's pretty forgettable.

        rich

        The only grunge bands that I ever got into were Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains.  Other than that it did very little for me.

        As part of my ongoing attempt to convert my music collection over to MP3, I recently stumbled across a stash of CDs that my wife bought ages ago and hid away after she got tired of listening to them. In that pile were Soundgarden's "Superunknown" and Stone Temple Pilot's "Core". Just to make sure the MP3s came out OK, I listened to the Soundgarden album yesterday and I'm listening to "Core" right now.

        I still don't get the appeal. I hated grunge when it was popular in the 90s, and it that opinion hasn't changed with age. Depressing, plodding, ugly, BORING music.

        So can anyone explain what I'm mssing? What are the charms of grunge? Was it the flannel? Tell me it wasn't just the flannel...

        How to Sleep Like a Rock
        peaklife.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

          > In that pile were Soundgarden's "Superunknown"

          I forgot to mention that the first time I heard "Black Hole Sun" on the radio, I thought it was a new Spinal Tap song. No joke.

          -- Bob
        • sdorth
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
            Grunge came of age just as I graduated from college. I first heard Nirvana and didn't think much of it. My favorite bands of the genre are Soundgarden and Alice in Chains

            Soundgarden sounded like a modern Black Sabbath to me in some ways. I really enjoy them as a heavy metal band. Just good rock and roll with some great songwriting and some odd meter here and there. Badmotorfinger started it out. They next album (Superunknown) was good and they kind went downhill after that. And don't listen to any live stuff.

            Alice In Chains was something that took a bit of getting into, but the two-part harmonies on top of some great guitar riffage tickled me just right. Dirt was the album that cemented me as a fan.

            I loves me some STP, too. Those guys have it all. Especially the second and third albums (Purple and Tiny Music). Great songwriting, great riffs and really interesting arrangements and production techniques.

            I like a bit of Nirvana now and then, but never bought any of their albums.

            Temple of The Dog was a great one-off record of members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Great album. Part jam band, good songs and a tribute to the singer of MotherLoveBone.

            For me, Pearl Jam started off great with their first album and kind of slid down from there. I gave up after Vitology. I still listen to the the first two albums occasionally.

            The rest of the bands in the genre never made it on my heavy rotation. The Singles soundtrack has a nice smattering of them.

            So, so for me, grunge gave me more straight up rock and roll and heavy metal that just wasn't available from the the other genres of the time: speed metal, pop rock, hair metal, etc.

            Scott