Re: Yes in Bethlehem, PA last night

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2013
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

      > great review Bob. it never fails whenever you go to one of the
      > shows were the artist has had some mainstream success you have
      > to deal with a high idiot factor.

      Yeah, it's a shame - it seems like 90% of the crowd are there to
      enjoy the music, but the other 10% are there to get stupid drunk,
      act like assholes and ruin the event for everyone else.

      > some of the worst shows i've been to for this have been at
      > Jethro Tull, but the high level of discomfort was not so much
      > from the idiots but the way Anderson has is outburst in dealing
      > with it.

      OK, now I have to know - what does he do? Is it a Fripp-like thing
      where he stops the show until the crowd bends to his will?

      -- Bob
    • progholio@juno.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2013

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

          > i've noticed a pattern with IA that when something sets him off
          > (generally early in the show) the witty stage banter turns
          > condescending towards the audience real quick and sets the tone
          > for the rest of the show, just the sort of thing i enjoy paying
          > money for.

          I've only seen Jethro Tull once, several years ago, at an outdoor
          concert in Hershey, PA. On a hill opposite the stage there's a
          big building that I think is a private school - for some reason
          that building offended Anderson and he kept making comments about
          it throughout the show, calling it "that severe looking institution
          over there" and things like that. Struck me odd at the time, but
          fits the crochety old man description.

          > regarding Fripp - i have seen him several times with KC and solo,
          > i've never experienced anything like that, in fact at a solo show
          > he seemed quite charming (even had a Q & A with the audience if
          > you can believe it).

          I was just going by all the CDs he's released that include
          variations on him stopping the show because someone took a photo.
          I only got the chance to see King Crimson once, back in the 90s
          when they were briefly part of the HOARD tour, and there weren't
          any disruptions. KC was pretty much the opening band though,
          so they were already playing when I got there, only did about
          about a 45 minute set and then were gone.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

            > So the wife and I made the trip to Bethlehem last night to see
            > Yes.

            For anyone who does the Dime a Dozen thing - there's already a
            recording of this show up. I downloaded it last night and just
            started listening to it this morning, but it sounds pretty good
            so far. A bit of crowd noise, especially at the beginning, but
            no way to avoid that.

            If anyone goes to search the Dime site for the show, search for
            "Bethlehem", not "Yes". For some reason the latter word turns
            up no results. Maybe because it's such a common word.

            -- Bob
          • progholio@juno.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013

              I've only seen Jethro Tull once, several years ago, at an outdoor
              concert in Hershey, PA. On a hill opposite the stage there's a
              big building that I think is a private school - for some reason
              that building offended Anderson and he kept making comments about
              it throughout the show, calling it "that severe looking institution
              over there" and things like that. Struck me odd at the time, but
              fits the crochety old man description.

              -- Bob

              one year i saw Tull at one of the outdoor shed venues - there was one of those sign language interpreters on the side of the stage that was just distracting as hell, he had this woman reduced to tears from all of the public nasty remarks - although i have to admit it was comical.

              How to Sleep Like a Rock
              peaklife.com
            • Jeff Bond
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013

                I’ve seen Fripp with KC, solo on a SoundScapes tour, and with the League of Crafty Guitarists.  During the SoundScapes show the audience was nearly reverent.  Much of the presentation was ambient, after all.  But at some point someone took a flash picture.  This was a venue with about 300 seats so it was easy to localize the general location of the offender.  The other 299 guests drew a collective gasp and my memory is that there was a miniscule pause by Fripp, and then he continued playing.  After the piece ended he talked about the music and a few details associated with it.  Then he looked in the general area of the offender and said “I know who you are, don’t do it again” plus (I think) he asked that she delete the picture.  And then he continued the show with no further interruption.

                He has written in his blog about concerns during shows with incidents caused by photographers, bootleg recorders, whistlers, screamers, etc.  He’s a unique person, that’s for sure.

                Jeff

                > i've noticed a pattern with IA that when something sets him off
                > (generally early in the show) the witty stage banter turns
                > condescending towards the audience real quick and sets the tone
                > for the rest of the show, just the sort of thing i enjoy paying
                > money for.

                I've only seen Jethro Tull once, several years ago, at an outdoor
                concert in Hershey, PA. On a hill opposite the stage there's a
                big building that I think is a private school - for some reason
                that building offended Anderson and he kept making comments about
                it throughout the show, calling it "that severe looking institution
                over there" and things like that. Struck me odd at the time, but
                fits the crochety old man description.

                > regarding Fripp - i have seen him several times with KC and solo,
                > i've never experienced anything like that, in fact at a solo show
                > he seemed quite charming (even had a Q & A with the audience if
                > you can believe it).

                I was just going by all the CDs he's released that include
                variations on him stopping the show because someone took a photo.
                I only got the chance to see King Crimson once, back in the 90s
                when they were briefly part of the HOARD tour, and there weren't
                any disruptions. KC was pretty much the opening band though,
                so they were already playing when I got there, only did about
                about a 45 minute set and then were gone.

                -- Bob

              • Storey, Scott D. (MSFC-IS70)
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
                  I respect Fripp. He can still be an asshole. I suppose the tactful difference between he and I is that he is famous and I am not.

                  -scott

[...]

                  S ubject: [ProgAndOther] Re: Yes in Bethlehem, PA last night

                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

                  > i've noticed a pattern with IA that when something sets him off
                  > (generally early in the show) the witty stage banter turns
                  > condescending towards the audience real quick and sets the tone
                  > for the rest of the show, just the sort of thing i enjoy paying
                  > money for.

                  I've only seen Jethro Tull once, several years ago, at an outdoor
                  concert in Hershey, PA. On a hill opposite the stage there's a
                  big building that I think is a private school - for some reason
                  that building of fended Anderson and he kept making comments about
                  it throughout the show, calling it "that severe looking institution
                  over there" and things like that. Struck me odd at the time, but
                  fits the crochety old man description.

                  > regarding Fripp - i have seen him several times with KC and solo,
                  > i've never experienced anything like that, in fact at a solo show
                  > he seemed quite charming (even had a Q & A with the audience if
                  > you can believe it).

                  I was just going by all the CDs he's released that include
                  variations on him stopping the show because someone took a photo.
                  I only got the chance to see King Crimson once, back in the 90s
                  when they were briefly part of the HOARD tour, and there weren't
                  any disruptions. KC was pretty much the opening band though,
                  so they were already playing when I got there, only did about
                  about a 45 minute set and then were gone.

                  -- Bob

                • sdsly
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
                    I've seen Fripp twice and never seen him say anything cross to anyone, but......I saw Steve Howe blow a gasket at a show in Grand Rapids Michigan some years ago.  He was doing his acoustic spot and someone in the audience pissed him off.  He yelled at who ever the offending parties were for about 30 seconds and then kept playing.

                    S ubject: [ProgAndOther] Re: Yes in Bethlehem, PA last night

                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

                    > i've noticed a pattern with IA that when something sets him off
                    > (generally early in the show) the witty stage banter turns
                    > condescending towards the audience real quick and sets the tone
                    > for the rest of the show, just the sort of thing i enjoy paying
                    > money for.

                    I've only seen Jethro Tull once, several years ago, at an outdoor
                    concert in Hershey, PA. On a hill opposite the stage there's a
                    big building that I think is a private school - for some reason
                    that building of fended Anderson and he kept making comments about
                    it throughout the show, calling it "that severe looking institution
                    over there" and things like that. Struck me odd at the time, but
                    fits the crochety old man description.

                    > regarding Fripp - i have seen him several times with KC and solo,
                    > i've never experienced anything like that, in fact at a solo show
                    > he seemed quite charming (even had a Q & A with the audience if
                    > you can believe it).

                    I was just going by all the CDs he's released that include
                    variations on him stopping the show because someone took a photo.
                    I only got the chance to see King Crimson once, back in the 90s
                    when they were briefly part of the HOARD tour, and there weren't
                    any disruptions. KC was pretty much the opening band though,
                    so they were already playing when I got there, only did about
                    about a 45 minute set and then were gone.

                    -- Bob
                  • JeffW
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 11, 2013
                      It was nice to see you there Bob! I was definately feeling it for you as I saw the audience standing on your side thru alot of the show whist those on our side politely sat down.
                      Our obnoxious drunks were back and to the right and don't sound as bad as yours were.
                      I agree with your accessment of the performance, the band seemed to truely be enjoying themselves, perhaps breaking the tour up with the cruise was a good idea.
                      I'm totally sold on Jon Davidson, had my doubts going in but he really nailed it, and proved to me at least that he belonged. Downes boggled a couple of parts but for the most part did quite well. Overall an excellent show.

                      Jeff Wilson

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 11, 2013
                        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

                        > I saw Steve Howe blow a gasket at a show in Grand Rapids
                        > Michigan some years ago. He was doing his acoustic spot
                        > and someone in the audience pissed him off. He yelled at
                        > who ever the offending parties were for about 30 seconds
                        > and then kept playing.

                        I tried to reply to this yestarday, but the post never showed up,
                        so apologies if this ends up posting twice.

                        When I saw Howe on the tour that produced the "Not Necessarily
                        Acoustic" album, he was in a good mood for most of the show.
                        But then when he tried to do "Heat of the Moment" as the big
                        closing number of the show, something went wrong with the monitor
                        system and he couldn't hear his own vocals. His singing went
                        from bad to just atrocious, and when he wasn't singing he kept
                        yelling at the sound guy to turn his vocals up. He made it to
                        the end of the song, then stormed off and refused to come back
                        out for an encore.

                        Still a really good show, just a shame it ended that way.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 11, 2013
                          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

                          > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > So the wife and I made the trip to Bethlehem last night to see
                          > > Yes.
                          >
                          > For anyone who does the Dime a Dozen thing - there's already a
                          > recording of this show up. I downloaded it last night and just
                          > started listening to it this morning, but it sounds pretty good
                          > so far.

                          I just noticed that the same taper put up a recording of Yes from the
                          same venue from last year (I didn't even know they played in PA last
                          year - how'd I miss that?). Anyway, that one also has pretty good
                          sound quality (a little too "digital" sounding, but listenable) and
                          includes a live version of the full "Fly From Here" suite. First time
                          I've gotten to hear that live - sounded great. I'm sorry I missed
                          the concert.