Re: [ProgAndOther] Xmas goodies?

  • Jon Byrne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
      On 1/14/2013 3:00 PM, biceeichler wrote:

      So, what'd everyone else get?

      This was a light Xmas, proggilly speaking.  The only CDs I got were part of my continuing exploration of early synthpop - The Human League (not bad), Gary Numan (very good), and Depeche Mode (meh).  Did pick up the Steve Hillage DVD from German TV in 1977(?).  It's very good, if you're into his early solo stuff.
      --
      Jonathan Byrne
      Words: http://jdbyrne.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2013
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." wrote:

        > wow, no Hendrix in your collection?

        I've never been a big Jimi Hendrix fan, but I still thought I
        had a Hendrix CD somewhere in the thousands of discs stacked
        up in my basement. It wasn't until my daughter asked me to
        find one so she could put it on her iPod that I realized I
        didn't own anything by him.

        To be honest, I've never really been all that wild about the
        songs "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe" and "All Along the Watchtower",
        and those are the ones that classic rock radio plays to death
        around here. But once I bought the hits CD, I found that I
        liked more Hendrix songs than I realized - "Fire", "Manic
        Depression", "Little Wing", "Bold as Love", "Voodoo Child"
        and "Angel" are all great. Some other good stuff on there too.

        > all i can say is go get Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love
        > and Electric Ladyland immediately!

        I'll keep an eye out for them. The best of disc is probabaly
        all I need, but if I found those others somewhere cheap, I'll
        pick them up.

        -- Bob
      • progholio@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2013
          i agree, the hits like Purple Haze and Foxey Lady are not so great to listen to from over exposure, i do however enjoy them very much in the context of the whole album..

          if you're not that into Hendrix but wanted to buy just one album out of curiosity then go for Electric Ladyland, i think you might dig it's more experimental vibe.

          I've never been a big Jimi Hendrix fan, but I still thought I
          had a Hendrix CD somewhere in the thousands of discs stacked
          up in my basement. It wasn't until my daughter asked me to
          find one so she could put it on her iPod that I realized I
          didn't own anything by him.

          To be honest, I've never really been all that wild about the
          songs "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe" and "All Along the Watchtower",
          and those are the ones that classic rock radio plays to death
          around here. But once I bought the hits CD, I found that I
          liked more Hendrix songs than I realized - "Fire", "Manic
          Depression", "Little Wing", "Bold as Love", "Voodoo Child"
          and "Angel" are all great. Some other good stuff on there too.

          > all i can say is go get Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love
          > and Electric Ladyland immediately!

          I'll keep an eye out for them. The best of disc is probabaly
          all I need, but if I found those others somewhere cheap, I'll
          pick them up.

          One Trick to Stay Asleep
          If you struggle to fall asleep, or stay asleep, try this…
          peaklife.com