Re: Minstrels in the Gallery set

  • sdorth
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012
      Thanks for doing this , Bob.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2012
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

        > OK, I put the Minstrels MP3s up on my web site:

        Last call for the Minstrels. I'll leave it up until tomorrow
        evening, then I'll replace it with the other Preshow band,
        Going For the One, and post the URL for that here.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

          > Last call for the Minstrels. I'll leave it up until tomorrow
          > evening, then I'll replace it with the other Preshow band,
          > Going For the One, and post the URL for that here.

          Well, I got the Minstrels in the Gallery set taken down. Not much
          luck with putting the Going For the One set up though. Comcast's
          FTP server had been really flakey lately, and tonight it's either
          refusing to let me connect, or dropping my connection within seconds
          of establishing it. So I've only managed to get one song put up,
          after about an hour of trying.

          I'll try it again later tonight or tomorrow.

          -- Bob
        • Rob McMonigal
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
            Hey thanks for putting these up, man.

            I have to say, after listening to some of the Minstrels set, I just
            don't get tribute bands. These guys really did sound like Tull, circa
            1978, but it was like listening to a photocopy. There's nothing
            innovative about it, it's a group of people trying really hard to nail
            a certain sound.

            They do it well, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the appeal. Why
            not just listen to "Bursting Out" at home? I guess it's a nostalgia
            trip for some. *shrug*

            -Rob

            On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM, biceeichler <eichler2@...> wrote:

            > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Last call for the Minstrels. I'll leave it up until tomorrow
            >> evening, then I'll replace it with the other Preshow band,
            >> Going For the One, and post the URL for that here.
            >
            > Well, I got the Minstrels in the Gallery set taken down. Not much
            > luck with putting the Going For the One set up though. Comcast's
            > FTP server had been really flakey lately, and tonight it's either
            > refusing to let me connect, or dropping my connection within seconds
            > of establishing it. So I've only managed to get one song put up,
            > after about an hour of trying.
            >
            > I'll try it again later tonight or tomorrow.
            >
            > -- Bob

            -Rob
            trebro@...
            Panel Patter: A Comics Review Blog
            http://www.panelpatter.com
            *****
          • Roy DeRousse
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
              biceeichler wrote:
              > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:ProgAndOther%40yahoogroups.com>, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Last call for the Minstrels. I'll leave it up until tomorrow
              > > evening, then I'll replace it with the other Preshow band,
              > > Going For the One, and post the URL for that here.
              >
              > Well, I got the Minstrels in the Gallery set taken down. Not much
              > luck with putting the Going For the One set up though. Comcast's
              > FTP server had been really flakey lately, and tonight it's either
              > refusing to let me connect, or dropping my connection within seconds
              > of establishing it. So I've only managed to get one song put up,
              > after about an hour of trying.
              >
              > I'll try it again later tonight or tomorrow.
              >
              > -- Bob

              You may want to try https://wetransfer.com/. It is very easy to use, and you
              could host all of your shows (for 2 weeks max). You upload the file, and it
              gives you a url that you can share with whomever might want to download it.
              You don't need to sign up for anything to use it.

              Or you may want to try Google Drive (https://drive.google.com). You get 5 gb
              of storage and can control who has access to it. You need a Google ID for this.

              --
              Have fun!

              Roy DeRousse

              Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
              Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)
            • Roy DeRousse
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
                It was fun hearing it live. I know what you're saying about listening to a
                live recording though. I feel the same way.

                --
                Have fun!

                Roy DeRousse

                Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
                Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)
              • Noah Lesgold
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2012
                  On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Rob McMonigal wrote:

                  > I have to say, after listening to some of the Minstrels set, I just
                  > don't get tribute bands. These guys really did sound like Tull, circa
                  > 1978, but it was like listening to a photocopy. There's nothing
                  > innovative about it, it's a group of people trying really hard to nail
                  > a certain sound.
                  >
                  > They do it well, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the appeal. Why
                  > not just listen to "Bursting Out" at home? I guess it's a nostalgia
                  > trip for some. *shrug*

                  Live, tribute bands can be a good time. For me, the live experience is
                  (or can be) profoundly different from listening to recorded music, and
                  for bands that just aren't around to tour any more, or are so different
                  now from what they used to be that they might as well not be, tribute
                  acts can be a real good time. For recorded stuff, I want a band to
                  really put their own stamp on the music, though - I'm way more likely to
                  listen to something like Dread Zeppelin (the Led Zep reggae tribute band
                  with an Elvis impersonator on lead vocals) than a group that goes to a
                  lot of effort to sound precisely like their inspiration. That's how I
                  feel about covers in general, really.

                  --
                  Noah Lesgold
                  nlesgold@...

                  "How would you feel if you were dragged out of a prison cell and set on fire?"
                  "Hot. And disappointed." --Scary Go Round (www.scarygoround.com)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2012
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...> wrote:

                    > You may want to try https://wetransfer.com/. It is very easy to
                    > use, and you could host all of your shows (for 2 weeks max). You
                    > upload the file, and it gives you a url that you can share with
                    > whomever might want to download it. You don't need to sign up for
                    > anything to use it.

                    I think you told me about that site last year, but I forgot about
                    it in the meantime.

                    I've put Ephemeral Sun's set up there - since they give you 2 GB
                    of space per upload, I included both the FLAC and MP3 files.

                    The link to download it is this:

                    http://wtrns.fr/O4E6b2ry3wAvTe6

                    Someone give it a try and let me know how it goes. If it works,
                    I'll start putting the other bands up there too.