Review: A Piedi Nudi - Creazione and Eclissi

  • Bob Eichler / Michele Matthews
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 1998
      Continuing my attempt to review all the discs I bought at ProgDay:

      A Piedi Nudi - Creazione and Eclissi

      Track Listings:

      Creazione (Released: 1994)
      1. Memorie (12:47)
      2. Partenza (5:00)
      3. Lungo Il Sentiero (5:19)
      4. Regina Del Torrente (8:20)
      5. Dea Delle Rocce, Signore Del Vento (4:37)
      6. Creazione (4:02)
      7. Nuova Vita (6:11)
      8. La Ballerina (Bonus Track) (5:07)

      Eclissi (Released: 1997)
      1. Esodo
      2. L'Inganno
      3. Le amanti
      4. Senza ritorno
      5. Reverendo
      6. Temporale
      7. L'infedele
      8. Amici d'infanzia
      9. Eclissi

      Unfortunately, I'm very pressed for time as I write this review, so I'm not
      going to have time to really do these albums justice. This review is going
      to be mostly raw data and quick impressions, rather than a detailed
      review.

      These two albums, the band's second and third I believe, are definitely
      not Italian prog in the typical sense. The melody is there, but it's much
      harder-edged music than what I've come to associate with Italian prog.
      Also, the instrumentation isn't as varied. They tend to stick mostly to
      drums, bass, guitar and keyboard. There is a bit of french horn here and
      there, but it doesn't really stand out. In fact, when I saw these guys at
      ProgDay and later at Orion Studios, I wondered why they didn't just do
      the few short french horn parts on the keyboards.

      I like these albums, but it's hard to really get a grip on them. The
      melodies and tempo shift almost constantly, and all the vocals are in
      Italian so English speaking listeners don't have anything to grab onto
      there. It's best to let the music wash over you and just experience the
      sheer power of it.

      The electric guitar is the main instrument, blasting its way, hard-rock
      style, through almost every track. The keyboards are used mostly for
      coloration and mood. A wide variety of synthesizer sounds are used, but
      it's mostly for effect. The keys never take the lead, and never solo. The
      electric guitar is used both for pounding out power chords and for
      playing intricate melodies. The only song I can think of off the top of my
      head that doesn't feature electric guitar is La Ballerina, the bonus track
      on Crezione, which uses acoustic guitar.

      While the music does settle down occasionally for some quiet, relaxed,
      intimate passages, for the most part it screams along in head-ripping-off
      (to borrow a phrase from Mike Keneally) heavy metal mode. But the
      melodies, moods and time-signatures change far more often than they do
      in typical heavy metal. In the end, you're left with the feeling as if
      someone had been pounding on your head for an hour, but you can't
      remember who. Not that that's an entirely bad thing...

      The vocals are entirely in Italian. Crezione is sung by the drummer, Carlo
      Bighetti (of post-ProgDay cigarette fame). Eclissi features a dedicated
      vocalist, Mirko Andreasi. But to be honest, I can't tell one from the
      other and never would have noticed the difference if I hadn't overheard
      someone at Orion commenting on the different vocalist on Eclissi. When
      the band performed live at ProgDay and Orion, Carlo performed all the
      vocals.

      The singing is decent and even very good in spots, but I wouldn't buy the
      albums just for these guys' voices. In places they even get a little grating
      as they wail away dramatically in Italian. If I actually understood Italian,
      I'd probably have a much higher tolerance for the vocals. The lyrics to all
      songs are printed in the CD booklets, but that doesn't help unless you
      can read Italian.

      Speaking of the booklets, the packaging on both CDs is excellent,
      especially Eclissi. Creazione's cover depicts an alien landscape filled with
      odd creatures, most of which have various musical instruments as parts
      of their bodies. The disc itself reproduces the cover. Inside the booklet,
      each page gives the lyrics to a song over the volcanic background of the
      cover. The "drum-faced" creature of the cover appears at the corners of
      each page. The back page of the booklet shows a stylish photo of the
      band, all dressed in tuxedos and standing by what looks like a castle
      surrounded by fog. The back of the CD case lists the song titles and
      times, surrounded by the creatures from the front cover making a ring
      around the text.

      I'm assuming "Eclissi" is Italian for "Eclipse", because that's what
      dominates the artwork of that album. The front cover has a stunning
      painting of what looks like a brain eclipsing a ball of fire. Twisting over
      the brain is something that looks like the title creature from the movie
      Alien, but it's arranged in such a way as to spell out "APN". The disc
      itself looks like a black planet, and when you lift it out you discover that
      it was eclipsing a sun painted behind the clear CD tray. The back of the
      CD case features a black and white eclipse, with the song titles inside
      the circle. Inside the booklet, the lyrics to each song are printed page by
      page, with the facing pages containing disturbing paintings ranging from a
      marionette lying dead after cutting its own strings to a close-up of an
      eyeball with the reflection of a charging monster in the pupil. And those
      are a couple of the tamer ones...

      In summary, good music, but you've got to be able to tolerate heavy
      guitar and frantic shifts in mood and tempo. If lyrics are important to
      you, then only pick these up if you speak Italian. The packaging almost
      makes the albums worth having even if you don't like the music. All in all,
      I think I'm going to have to give these albums a few more listens before I
      can really get a grip on them.

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • Ganger, Charles A
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 1998
        Actually, if you need to understand some of the Italian lyrics, Shellyn
        could probably help out. She's fluent in Spanish and quite good in French
        and Italian.

        Chuck