Yes "In the Present"

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2012
      I had a $5 Best Buy reward coupon that was about to expire,
      so went and browsed their ever-shrinking CD section and ended
      up buying the new (well, new to me) Yes live album "In the
      Present" and a massive 7 disc, 8 hour live Phish release
      called "Hampton / Winston-Salem '97". Leave it to me to
      spend close to $50 on music in order to use a $5 coupon.

      Anyway, I just finished listening to the Yes discs. On the
      plus side, they threw in a lot of rarely played tunes - Tempus
      Fugit, Onward, Astral Traveller, Corkscrew, South Side of the
      Sky and Machine Messiah. And the guy they have on lead vocals
      now sounds so much like Anderson that I kept forgetting that
      it wasn't Anderson.

      On the minus side...let's just say they took the songs at a
      very relaxed pace. Kind of ironic that Roger Dean used a
      turtle - a slow creature that lives to a ripe old age - on
      the cover. Or maybe he was intentionally commenting on the
      band's current state.

      Seeing two Drama songs in the set list made me figure that
      Geoff Downes must be the keyboardist, but instead it's
      Wakeman's kid. Couldn't Downes make the tour?

      I'm wondering why they didn't include anything from the new
      album. And why they did include a not-very-good version of
      Owner of a Lonely Heart (the only post-Drama song on the set).
      Whatever fanbase the band still has probably isn't buying the
      album for Owner. And to make matters worse, they use a
      pre-recorded drum fill to open the song...couldn't Alan play
      that?

      All in all though, it's not a bad live album for a band that's
      been around for over 40 years. Especially since I got a couple
      bucks knocked off the price by that coupon.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2012
        The album was recorded on the tour prior to the new album coming out.  I saw them on the tour and they did not play any new music.  This was also prior to Geoff Downes coming back into the fold, thus Wakeman was still on keys.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2012
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

          > The album was recorded on the tour prior to the new album
          > coming out. I saw them on the tour and they did not play
          > any new music. This was also prior to Geoff Downes coming
          > back into the fold, thus Wakeman was still on keys.

          Ah, that explains a lot, thanks. I thought the live album
          was from a tour supporting "Fly From Here".

          -- Bob
        • Paul Watson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2012
            The Fly From Here tour has only just started. Here
            in New Zealand and now in Australia with newcomers
            Jon Davison on vocals and Geoff Downes on keyboards
            replacing Benoit David and Adam wakeman who feature
            on the In The Present CD/DVD  - bought it two days
            ago and enjoying it, especially the DVD. Two tracks
            played full in concert and the rest snippets mixed in with
            interviews with the band. Sure hope they release the
            full concert on DVD.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9, 2012
              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

              > buying the new Yes live album "In the Present" and a massive
              > 7 disc, 8 hour live Phish release called "Hampton / Winston-
              > Salem '97".

              And by weird co-incidence, while listening to the last track of
              disc 2 of the Phish set, I noticed that Trey Anastasio tests the
              tuning of his guitar by playing a bit of "Yours is No Disgrace"
              before launching into the encore of "Guyute".