Go Out Dancing

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
      Anyone remember Planet P Project from the 80s? It's basically
      a two-man-band comprised of Tony Carey and his producer. A
      few years ago Carey was offering a free download from his website
      of a new Planet P album called "Go Out Dancing vol. 1: 1941".
      I've always liked the first Planet P album a good bit, so I
      grabbed it.

      Since then he's released two more volumes to make it a trilogy,
      "Levittown" and "Out in the Rain". I just picked up volumes
      2 and 3 recently.

      The whole thing is surprisingly good. It has that 80s pop
      sound to it, but updated with more modern equipment. Lots of
      tastey keyboards, and the programmed percussion didn't put me
      off at all. It's definitely more pop than prog, but good stuff.
      Very catchy and at the same time more than a little thought
      provoking.

      The lyrics seem to be some sort of concept album based on the
      politics of the second half of the 20th century. It starts with
      the conditions that lead to the rise of the Nazis and by the end
      of volume 2 leads to a nuclear war. I think volume 3 is supposed
      to be a survivor of the war looking back over his life. The big
      theme that runs through the whole thing is "never trust anyone
      who wants to lead you", whether it be a politician or a religious
      figure.

      Carey nails a kind of bitter but humorous cynicism, sort of like
      a cross between Roger Waters and Kevin Gilbert. The more I listen
      to these albums, the more I like them.

      Just curious if anyone else has heard them...

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

        > theme that runs through the whole thing is "never trust anyone
        > who wants to lead you", whether it be a politician or a religious

        Actually, I didn't state that very well. It's more like "never
        trust anyone whose motivation is hatred, or who tries to rise to
        power by exploiting people's hate and fears". He starts out by
        using Hitler as an example, but moves on to Timothy McVeigh and
        eventually modern day with lyrics like "If you're afraid of people
        flying airplanes into you, of going to bed with a cold and waking
        up with the bird flu...then we've got you where we want you. If
        you define yourself by a line drawn on a globe, if you think the
        devil himself wears sandals and a robe...if you do then you're one
        of us. If you do, welcome aboard. 'Cause we've got you where we
        want you."

        All set to a catchy pop beat. Brilliant.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

          > 'Cause we've got you where wewant you.

          And poking around the interwebs, I just discovered that someone
          put a "video" for that song on YouTube:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGyeDH2r0c

          The video is just a handful of still photos, but you can hear the
          entire song with pretty good sound quality.

          -- Bob
        • Roy DeRousse
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
            I always liked Planet P Project too. I've never heard this Planet P follow-up
            trilogy. Man - he has a lot of stuff! http://www.tonycarey.com/e/disco.php.
            I am currently downloading his latest free download, a sampler called
            "Rewind." Maybe I'll check out the "Go Out Dancing" albums if I like "Rewind."

            --
            Have fun!

            Roy DeRousse
          • marabus
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2012
              Bob,
              I got Dancing off the web at that time,been quite a while since I've
              listened to it.Haven't heard the others though.
              Pete

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2012
                I have always enjoyed Carrey's stuff.  I will have to check into this.

                Steve