Re: ProgDay torrents

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 24, 2011
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "sdorth" <sdorth@...> wrote:

      > I'm interested in getting your recordings. FLAC is fine. I'm
      > not familiar with torrents. Is there any other way of getting
      > files?

      I usually offer to burn them to CD/DVD and mail them out, which
      is my plan again this year if I can't come up with anything better.

      I was wondering though - does anyone know of any decent, preferrably
      free, file sharing web sites? I just did a Google search and it
      appears there are a few out there, but I don't know if any of them
      are trustworthy. If I could just put the files up on a site
      somewhere for people to download, that'd be ideal. Anyone have a
      friend with a web server and lots of free space they'd be willing
      to donate for a couple weeks?

      -- Bob
    • Roy DeRousse
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 24, 2011
        biceeichler wrote:
        > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:ProgAndOther%40yahoogroups.com>, "sdorth" <sdorth@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm interested in getting your recordings. FLAC is fine. I'm
        > > not familiar with torrents. Is there any other way of getting
        > > files?
        >

        > I usually offer to burn them to CD/DVD and mail them out, which
        > is my plan again this year if I can't come up with anything better.
        >
        > I was wondering though - does anyone know of any decent, preferrably
        > free, file sharing web sites? I just did a Google search and it
        > appears there are a few out there, but I don't know if any of them
        > are trustworthy. If I could just put the files up on a site
        > somewhere for people to download, that'd be ideal. Anyone have a
        > friend with a web server and lots of free space they'd be willing
        > to donate for a couple weeks?

        I use https://docs.google.com/ to share files. You need a (free) Google
        account (which you have if you have Gmail), but you get 1 gb of storage free
        that you can share with anyone. That would be enough for all of you mp3's,
        but not your FLACs.

        I have also used a service called WeTransfer that is free and very easy to
        use. Here are some instructions that someone else wrote up for it.

        * zip the files (because it is easier to select a single ZIP file than
        multiple files one at a time)
        * go to www.wetransfer.com
        * send the file to yourself (you cannot send to this group directly)
        * you get two emails from wetransfer.com: the first saying "... has just sent
        you..." and the second saying "thank you for using..."
        * the *second* email contains a short link to the download location (the first
        email only contains a long link)
        * send an email to this group with the short link

        People in another music-oriented group that I'm in have used this extensively
        to distribute non-commercial releases (live shows, demos, etc.).

        --
        Have fun!

        Roy DeRousse
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 24, 2011
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...> wrote:

          > I use https://docs.google.com/ to share files. You need a (free)
          > Google account (which you have if you have Gmail), but you get
          > 1 gb of storage free that you can share with anyone. That would
          > be enough for all of you mp3's, but not your FLACs.
          >
          > I have also used a service called WeTransfer that is free and
          > very easy to use. Here are some instructions that someone else
          > wrote up for it.

          Roy - thanks for the info. Once I get all the MP3s finished (and
          I'm working on the Sunday bands now, so it won't be long), I'll
          look into that WeTransfer thing.

          -- Bob
        • sdavmor
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 25, 2011
            On 09/24/2011 01:53 PM, biceeichler wrote:

            > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:ProgAndOther%40yahoogroups.com>, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I use https://docs.google.com/ to share files. You need a (free)
            > > Google account (which you have if you have Gmail), but you get
            > > 1 gb of storage free that you can share with anyone. That would
            > > be enough for all of you mp3's, but not your FLACs.
            > >
            > > I have also used a service called WeTransfer that is free and
            > > very easy to use. Here are some instructions that someone else
            > > wrote up for it.
            >
            > Roy - thanks for the info. Once I get all the MP3s finished (and
            > I'm working on the Sunday bands now, so it won't be long), I'll
            > look into that WeTransfer thing.
            >
            > -- Bob

            Or you can, if you like, put the files onto the Systems Theory FTP
            server. I'll then setup an account that will login directly to the
            folder that contains your FLAC and/or MP3 files. Space/size is no
            issue. You can then make that login available to anyone that wants the
            files. In 30-45 days (or however long works for you) I'll disable the
            account. Let me know if you want to go this route.
            http://mikedickson.org.uk
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 25, 2011
              --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, sdavmor <sdavmor@...> wrote:

              > Or you can, if you like, put the files onto the Systems Theory FTP
              > server. I'll then setup an account that will login directly to the
              > folder that contains your FLAC and/or MP3 files. Space/size is no
              > issue. You can then make that login available to anyone that wants
              > the files. In 30-45 days (or however long works for you) I'll
              > disable the account. Let me know if you want to go this route.

              That'd be an awesome option for me (because it would make
              things a lot easier on my end), but I don't know how
              familiar everyone is with how FTP works. For those who are
              downloading the files - would you prefer the FTP option or
              should I stick with the WeTransfer URLs that you just plug
              into a browser and click the download button?

              -- Bob
            • Allen Thompson
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 25, 2011
                Bob,

                I can put a website together that will allow you to download each bands zip file. Server space included and unlimited bandwith. Let me know.
                Have a good evening

                --
                Allen Thompson
                Operations Director, Co-Founder | OhioProg

                Ohio Progressive Rock Association

                OhioProg 2012 | "Pledge Your Ticket" via Kickstarter

                Ohio's Premiere Progressive Rock Festival | September 7, 8, & of 2012

                website | Facebook | Twitter | mySpace | last.fm | Yahoo! | Soundcloud | YouTube

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                  --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Allen Thompson <nacho220@...> wrote:

                  > I can put a website together that will allow you to download each
                  > bands zip file. Server space included and unlimited bandwith. Let
                  > me know.

                  Allen,

                  That'd be great as far as I'm concerned...but would the web site
                  or URL reference the Ohio Prog festival? I don't know if there
                  would be any weirdness about having ProgDay audience recordings
                  hosted on a "competing" festival's site. I just bring it up because
                  I don't want to offend anyone involved with either festival.

                  Anyway, if no one objects, could you pull the zip files down from
                  the links I already posted, or would you want me to snail-mail them
                  to you on CDR?

                  -- Bob
                • nacho220@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                    Bob,

                    Nope, I can create a totally separate site. No worries!

                    I'll DL the zips and put something together you can check out first.
                    I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks!

                    Allen

                    Sent from my iPod

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "nacho220@..." <nacho220@...> wrote:

                      > Bob,
                      >
                      > Nope, I can create a totally separate site. No worries!

                      Cool - thanks for the help.

                      > I'll DL the zips and put something together you can check out
                      > first. I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks!

                      No rush - the WeTransfer downloads should be available until
                      Oct 9...

                      -- Bob
                    • moecurlythanu
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
                        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

                        > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "nacho220@" <nacho220@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Bob,
                        > >
                        > > Nope, I can create a totally separate site. No worries!
                        >
                        > Cool - thanks for the help.
                        >

                        > > I'll DL the zips and put something together you can check out
                        > > first. I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks!
                        >
                        > No rush - the WeTransfer downloads should be available until
                        > Oct 9...
                        >
                        > -- Bob

                        Just curious...Do you have FLAC copies of the files, or only mp3?

                        Mark
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "moecurlythanu" <moecurlythanu@...> wrote:

                          > Just curious...Do you have FLAC copies of the files, or only mp3?

                          The FLAC files should still be available on the Dime a Dozen site.
                          Anyone who wants them but doesn't do the torrent thing, send me an
                          email (eichler 2 at comcast dot net) and include your snail-mail
                          address. If I don't get too many requests, I'll just burn them to
                          DVD and mail them out.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 4, 2012
                            If anyone on the list does the Dime a Dozen thing, I've put the
                            preshow bands up:

                            Minstrels in the Gallery:

                            http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=419199

                            Going For the One:

                            http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=419234

                            I'm hoping to get one or two of the Saturday bands up tomorrow.