Re: ProgDay torrents

  • sdorth
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 23, 2011
      Bob,

      I'm interested in getting your recordings. FLAC is fine. I'm not familiar with torrents. Is there any other way of getting files?

      Scott

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 24, 2011
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "sdorth" <sdorth@...> wrote:

        > I'm interested in getting your recordings. FLAC is fine. I'm
        > not familiar with torrents. Is there any other way of getting
        > files?

        I usually offer to burn them to CD/DVD and mail them out, which
        is my plan again this year if I can't come up with anything better.

        I was wondering though - does anyone know of any decent, preferrably
        free, file sharing web sites? I just did a Google search and it
        appears there are a few out there, but I don't know if any of them
        are trustworthy. If I could just put the files up on a site
        somewhere for people to download, that'd be ideal. Anyone have a
        friend with a web server and lots of free space they'd be willing
        to donate for a couple weeks?

        -- Bob
      • Roy DeRousse
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 24, 2011
          biceeichler wrote:
          > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:ProgAndOther%40yahoogroups.com>, "sdorth" <sdorth@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm interested in getting your recordings. FLAC is fine. I'm
          > > not familiar with torrents. Is there any other way of getting
          > > files?
          >

          > I usually offer to burn them to CD/DVD and mail them out, which
          > is my plan again this year if I can't come up with anything better.
          >
          > I was wondering though - does anyone know of any decent, preferrably
          > free, file sharing web sites? I just did a Google search and it
          > appears there are a few out there, but I don't know if any of them
          > are trustworthy. If I could just put the files up on a site
          > somewhere for people to download, that'd be ideal. Anyone have a
          > friend with a web server and lots of free space they'd be willing
          > to donate for a couple weeks?

          I use https://docs.google.com/ to share files. You need a (free) Google
          account (which you have if you have Gmail), but you get 1 gb of storage free
          that you can share with anyone. That would be enough for all of you mp3's,
          but not your FLACs.

          I have also used a service called WeTransfer that is free and very easy to
          use. Here are some instructions that someone else wrote up for it.

          * zip the files (because it is easier to select a single ZIP file than
          multiple files one at a time)
          * go to www.wetransfer.com
          * send the file to yourself (you cannot send to this group directly)
          * you get two emails from wetransfer.com: the first saying "... has just sent
          you..." and the second saying "thank you for using..."
          * the *second* email contains a short link to the download location (the first
          email only contains a long link)
          * send an email to this group with the short link

          People in another music-oriented group that I'm in have used this extensively
          to distribute non-commercial releases (live shows, demos, etc.).

          --
          Have fun!

          Roy DeRousse
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 24, 2011
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...> wrote:

            > I use https://docs.google.com/ to share files. You need a (free)
            > Google account (which you have if you have Gmail), but you get
            > 1 gb of storage free that you can share with anyone. That would
            > be enough for all of you mp3's, but not your FLACs.
            >
            > I have also used a service called WeTransfer that is free and
            > very easy to use. Here are some instructions that someone else
            > wrote up for it.

            Roy - thanks for the info. Once I get all the MP3s finished (and
            I'm working on the Sunday bands now, so it won't be long), I'll
            look into that WeTransfer thing.

            -- Bob
          • sdavmor
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 25, 2011
              On 09/24/2011 01:53 PM, biceeichler wrote:

              > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:ProgAndOther%40yahoogroups.com>, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I use https://docs.google.com/ to share files. You need a (free)
              > > Google account (which you have if you have Gmail), but you get
              > > 1 gb of storage free that you can share with anyone. That would
              > > be enough for all of you mp3's, but not your FLACs.
              > >
              > > I have also used a service called WeTransfer that is free and
              > > very easy to use. Here are some instructions that someone else
              > > wrote up for it.
              >
              > Roy - thanks for the info. Once I get all the MP3s finished (and
              > I'm working on the Sunday bands now, so it won't be long), I'll
              > look into that WeTransfer thing.
              >
              > -- Bob

              Or you can, if you like, put the files onto the Systems Theory FTP
              server. I'll then setup an account that will login directly to the
              folder that contains your FLAC and/or MP3 files. Space/size is no
              issue. You can then make that login available to anyone that wants the
              files. In 30-45 days (or however long works for you) I'll disable the
              account. Let me know if you want to go this route.
              http://mikedickson.org.uk
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 25, 2011
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, sdavmor <sdavmor@...> wrote:

                > Or you can, if you like, put the files onto the Systems Theory FTP
                > server. I'll then setup an account that will login directly to the
                > folder that contains your FLAC and/or MP3 files. Space/size is no
                > issue. You can then make that login available to anyone that wants
                > the files. In 30-45 days (or however long works for you) I'll
                > disable the account. Let me know if you want to go this route.

                That'd be an awesome option for me (because it would make
                things a lot easier on my end), but I don't know how
                familiar everyone is with how FTP works. For those who are
                downloading the files - would you prefer the FTP option or
                should I stick with the WeTransfer URLs that you just plug
                into a browser and click the download button?

                -- Bob
              • Allen Thompson
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 25, 2011
                  Bob,

                  I can put a website together that will allow you to download each bands zip file. Server space included and unlimited bandwith. Let me know.
                  Have a good evening

                  --
                  Allen Thompson
                  Operations Director, Co-Founder | OhioProg

                  Ohio Progressive Rock Association

                  OhioProg 2012 | "Pledge Your Ticket" via Kickstarter

                  Ohio's Premiere Progressive Rock Festival | September 7, 8, & of 2012

                  website | Facebook | Twitter | mySpace | last.fm | Yahoo! | Soundcloud | YouTube

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                    --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Allen Thompson <nacho220@...> wrote:

                    > I can put a website together that will allow you to download each
                    > bands zip file. Server space included and unlimited bandwith. Let
                    > me know.

                    Allen,

                    That'd be great as far as I'm concerned...but would the web site
                    or URL reference the Ohio Prog festival? I don't know if there
                    would be any weirdness about having ProgDay audience recordings
                    hosted on a "competing" festival's site. I just bring it up because
                    I don't want to offend anyone involved with either festival.

                    Anyway, if no one objects, could you pull the zip files down from
                    the links I already posted, or would you want me to snail-mail them
                    to you on CDR?

                    -- Bob
                  • nacho220@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                      Bob,

                      Nope, I can create a totally separate site. No worries!

                      I'll DL the zips and put something together you can check out first.
                      I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks!

                      Allen

                      Sent from my iPod

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "nacho220@..." <nacho220@...> wrote:

                        > Bob,
                        >
                        > Nope, I can create a totally separate site. No worries!

                        Cool - thanks for the help.

                        > I'll DL the zips and put something together you can check out
                        > first. I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks!

                        No rush - the WeTransfer downloads should be available until
                        Oct 9...

                        -- Bob
                      • moecurlythanu
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
                          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "biceeichler" <eichler2@...> wrote:

                          > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "nacho220@" <nacho220@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Bob,
                          > >
                          > > Nope, I can create a totally separate site. No worries!
                          >
                          > Cool - thanks for the help.
                          >

                          > > I'll DL the zips and put something together you can check out
                          > > first. I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks!
                          >
                          > No rush - the WeTransfer downloads should be available until
                          > Oct 9...
                          >
                          > -- Bob

                          Just curious...Do you have FLAC copies of the files, or only mp3?

                          Mark
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "moecurlythanu" <moecurlythanu@...> wrote:

                            > Just curious...Do you have FLAC copies of the files, or only mp3?

                            The FLAC files should still be available on the Dime a Dozen site.
                            Anyone who wants them but doesn't do the torrent thing, send me an
                            email (eichler 2 at comcast dot net) and include your snail-mail
                            address. If I don't get too many requests, I'll just burn them to
                            DVD and mail them out.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 4, 2012
                              If anyone on the list does the Dime a Dozen thing, I've put the
                              preshow bands up:

                              Minstrels in the Gallery:

                              http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=419199

                              Going For the One:

                              http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=419234

                              I'm hoping to get one or two of the Saturday bands up tomorrow.