Re: NEARfest A Rant

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2011
      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

      > I got home tonight, logged on to my computer and was absolutely
      > floored by the NEARfest announcement.

      I've been way out of the "prog loop" recently - what was this
      experimental line-up they had booked that people refused to buy
      tickets for? Knowing my tastes, it's probably the first NEARFest
      in a while that I would have gone to, had I known about it...

      -- Bob
    • Roy DeRousse
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2011
        biceeichler wrote:
        > --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:ProgAndOther%40yahoogroups.com>, stevesly@... wrote:
        > >
        > > I got home tonight, logged on to my computer and was absolutely
        > > floored by the NEARfest announcement.
        >
        > I've been way out of the "prog loop" recently - what was this
        > experimental line-up they had booked that people refused to buy
        > tickets for? Knowing my tastes, it's probably the first NEARFest
        > in a while that I would have gone to, had I known about it...

        Yes, I am afraid so. Here is the lineup:

        http://nearfest.com/lineup.asp

        The sad thing is that it probably would have been very good. The lack of any
        big names (except for Curved Air) and the indifference or aversion to
        Umphrey's McGee by most older prog fans was the downfall, IMO.

        Honestly, this lineup is not much different from the typical ProgDay lineup,
        only with much higher expenses and the need to sell a ton of patron and
        regular seats (which didn't happen). I am sad to see it fail, but I am not
        surprised.

        --
        Have fun!

        Roy DeRousse
      • Jared Levin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2011
          To me, Umphrey's McGee and New Trolls are big names, but I guess not to all. Bigger than Magma as far as financial success, but all of New Troll's was in Italy of course.

          Anyway, it's sad as hell.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2011
            Just to make sure that no one misunderstands my reply to Bob, I am VERY sad to
            see this happen with NEARfest. This must be heartbreaking to all involved. I
            have been to over half of the NFs and have enjoyed every one. The amount and
            variety of music was incredible, and the festival was very well run. I always
            enjoyed attending and wish I could have gone to them all.

            I wrote my reply in the context of a long series of threads on Progressive
            Ears. Reading it again, it may seem a bit "cold" out of context. I just
            wanted to clarify how I really feel about NEARfest and its cancellation.

            --
            Have fun!

            Roy DeRousse