Don & Bunk show at Orion

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2011
      I was going to post a "review" of this show but forgot about
      it until now. Went to see Don Preston and Bunk Gardner (of
      Mothers of Invention fame) at Orion Studios on Saturday. It
      was a good show. Both guys are closing in on 80 years old,
      but you wouldn't know it from their performance. They told
      stories and jokes, Don did some magic tricks and they played
      lots and lots of Zappa songs (plus some original material)
      and did lots of improvising and soloing. The whole thing was
      very informal - almost like having these legendary musicians
      come over to your house to hang out and play some songs in
      your living room.

      During King Kong, Don did a trick where it looked like he
      jabbed a conductor's baton through is arm, then played the
      whole song that way. He said he'd like to see Keith Emerson
      try to do that.

      Before the show they brought a female volunteer up on the
      stage and Bunk gave her roses and danced with her while Don
      serenaded them, then they crowed her "The Suzy Creamcheese of
      Baltimore".

      The only drawback was that they had to use pre-recorded
      rhythm section tracks, since it was just Don on keys and Bunk
      on sax and flute. I think I liked last year's show better when
      they had Paul Sears sit in on drums.

      Overall a fun show. They're not going to dazzle you with their
      chops anymore, but they more than make up for it with the sort
      of charisma that made the Mothers a great band.

      During intermission (they played two sets of about an hour each)
      I picked up Bunk's CD "It's All Bunk", which collects music he's
      recorded all across his career. Everything from big band
      recordings from the 50s through performances with the Grandmothers
      in the 90s. It's an interesting disc - much more avant garde than
      I was expecting, although there are some more melodic and "pretty"
      songs too. I particularly like the tracks by a trio he was part
      of in the 70s called "Menage a Trois". I'd like to hear a full
      album of their stuff sometime.

      After the show Don and Bunk hung around to sign autographs and
      take pictures with people. They said they'd like to come back
      again next year - I got the impression they just love performing
      music for people.

      -- Bob
    • progluvr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2011
        Thanks for the review....glad to hear you enjoyed.  They are talented and great guys as well. : )

        In a message dated 3/2/2011 1:25:48 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, eichler2@... writes:

        I was going to post a "review" of this show but forgot about
        it until now. Went to see Don Preston and Bunk Gardner (of
        Mothers of Invention fame) at Orion Studios on Saturday. It
        was a good show. Both guys are closing in on 80 years old,
        but you wouldn't know it from their performance. They told
        stories and jokes, Don did some magic tricks and they played
        lots and lots of Zappa songs (plus some original material)
        and did lots of improvising and soloing. The whole thing was
        very informal - almost like having these legendary musicians
        come over to your house to hang out and play some songs in
        your living room.

        Deb S.
        "The Prog-Rock Diner" Monday 5-7pm EST
        www.progrockdiner.com