Re: [ProgAndOther] Battlefield Earth

  • progholio@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
      Plan 9 From Outer Space or Visiting Hours (starring William Shattner) are waaaay better the this smoldering platter.

      If you have time to kill and need to know more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Earth_(film)

      yup, so bad it's kind of entertaining for a while.
      you'll feel like you were brutally beatin' by a Thetan

      rich

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

        > Plan 9 From Outer Space or Visiting Hours (starring William
        > Shattner) are waaaay better the this smoldering platter.

        While we're on the subject of bad movies, did anyone else think
        Inception was really disappointing? I got my wife a blu-ray
        player for Christmas and coincidentally the local library has
        started renting out blu-ray movies, so I recently grabbed
        Avatar and Inception.

        Other than being waaaaay too long, I thought Avatar was OK. I
        didn't have real high expectations for that one, and it was
        pretty much what I thought it would be. My one big "what the?"
        during that movie was the name of the rare mineral they were
        after. Unobtainium. Really? That's the best name they could
        come up with? Why not just call it Macguffium or Obviousnameium?

        But Inception on the other hand - that one actively annoyed me.
        Why does everything think it's such a great movie? It currently
        has an 8.9 out of 10 rating on IMDB. The plot made zero sense,
        I couldn't have cared less if any of the main characters had died,
        and worst of all - the logic of the "dream sequences" was totally
        inconsistent. I haven't seen a movie with that many plot holes
        since Mystery Science Theater went off the air. It's like they
        strung together scenes from the next three James Bond movies and
        then added the dream storyline afterwards to try to make it all
        make sense. Bah.

        -- Bob
      • Roy DeRousse
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
          biceeichler wrote:
          > While we're on the subject of bad movies, did anyone else think
          > Inception was really disappointing? I got my wife a blu-ray
          > player for Christmas and coincidentally the local library has
          > started renting out blu-ray movies, so I recently grabbed
          > Avatar and Inception.

          I have not seen it but plan to one day. One strange thing about this movie
          was that there were a LOT of negative reviews when it first came out, many
          with the same criticisms that you raised. (I must admit that is what caused
          me to put it on my "wait for DVD" list.) After it had been out a month or so,
          the reviews seemed to get better and better. Now, the prevailing opinion
          seems to be that it is a classic or near-classic. I have seen some people
          list it on their "top 10 science fiction movies of all time" list... and this
          was from people who also included some of the old classics on their list. So
          I don't get it! I guess I will have to watch it myself and see.

          > Other than being waaaaay too long, I thought Avatar was OK. I
          > didn't have real high expectations for that one, and it was
          > pretty much what I thought it would be. My one big "what the?"
          > during that movie was the name of the rare mineral they were
          > after. Unobtainium. Really? That's the best name they could
          > come up with? Why not just call it Macguffium or Obviousnameium?

          LOL. Good point! I actually liked Avatar quite a bit. Nothing too deep, but
          it was an interesting world and a good "personal journey" type movie. The
          animation was fantastic, of course, and it had the best 3-D I have ever seen.
          Not everything was eye-popping; much of it simply added some realistic
          depth. If I had been the right age, it probably would have become my "Star
          Wars" or "Star Trek." I am sure that it is for many people. As it was, I
          enjoyed it a lot but don't feel a need to see it over and over.

          --
          Have fun!

          Roy DeRousse
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2011
            I thought "Inception" was good.  Not sure that I would list it in top 10 of all time, but I enjoyed it.

            > While we're on the subject of bad movies, did anyone else think > Inception was really disappointing? I got my wife a blu-ray > player for Christmas and coincidentally the local library has > started renting out blu-ray movies, so I recently grabbed > Avatar and Inception.
            I have not seen it but plan to one day. One strange thing about this movie was that there were a LOT of negative reviews when it first came out, many with the same criticisms that you raised. (I must admit that is what caused me to put it on my "wait for DVD" list.) After it had been out a month or so, the reviews seemed to get better and better. Now, the prevailing opinion seems to be that it is a classic or near-classic. I have seen some people list it on their "top 10 science fiction movies of all time" list... and this was from people who also included some of the old classics on their list. So I don't get it! I guess I will have to watch it myself and see.
            > Other than being waaaaay too long, I thought Avatar was OK. I > didn't have real high expectations for that one, and it was > pretty much what I thought it would be. My one big "what the?" > during that movie was the name of the rare mineral they were > after. Unobtainium. Really? That's the best name they could > come up with? Why not just call it Macguffium or Obviousnameium?
            LOL. Good point! I actually liked Avatar quite a bit. Nothing too deep, but it was an interesting world and a good "personal journey" type movie. The animation was fantastic, of course, and it had the best 3-D I have ever seen. Not everything was eye-popping; much of it simply added some realistic depth. If I had been the right age, it probably would have become my "Star Wars" or "Star Trek." I am sure that it is for many people. As it was, I enjoyed it a lot but don't feel a need to see it over and over. -- Have fun! Roy DeRousse ------------------------------------ --- The "Prog and Other" Mailing List - To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: ProgAndOther-digest@yahoogroups.com ProgAndOther-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: ProgAndOther-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • progholio@juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2011
              I saw Inception a while back based on some of the hype and Christopher Nolan having made some pretty cool movies (Momento & the 1st of his "Dark Knight" come to mind not to be confused with the 2 Tim Burton Batman's which a awesome). Definitely a more convoluted narrative like Momento but nothing i woke up the next day thinking about mainly because i didn't care too much about any of the characters. Probably would watch again some time.

              Avatar was absolutely the best 3-D movie i ever saw from the visual aspect, i agree with Roy, nothing too deep but still fun. I remember telling Connie when we saw this in the theatre that it was like watching several Roger Dean album covers come to life, i sure hope he was compensated for it.

              rich

              > While we're on the subject of bad movies, did anyone else think
              > Inception was really disappointing? I got my wife a blu-ray
              > player for Christmas and coincidentally the local library has
              > started renting out blu-ray movies, so I recently grabbed
              > Avatar and Inception.

              I have not seen it but plan to one day.  One strange thing about this movie
              was that there were a LOT of negative reviews when it first came out, many
              with the same criticisms that you raised.  (I must admit that is what caused
              me to put it on my "wait for DVD" list.)  After it had been out a month or so,
              the reviews seemed to get better and better.  Now, the prevailing opinion
              seems to be that it is a classic or near-classic.  I have seen some people
              list it on their "top 10 science fiction movies of all time" list... and this
              was from people who also included some of the old classics on their list.  So
              I don't get it!  I guess I will have to watch it myself and see.

              > Other than being waaaaay too long, I thought Avatar was OK. I
              > didn't have real high expectations for that one, and it was
              > pretty much what I thought it would be. My one big "what the?"
              > during that movie was the name of the rare mineral they were
              > after. Unobtainium. Really? That's the best name they could
              > come up with? Why not just call it Macguffium or Obviousnameium?

              LOL.  Good point!  I actually liked Avatar quite a bit.  Nothing too deep, but
              it was an interesting world and a good "personal journey" type movie.  The
              animation was fantastic, of course, and it had the best 3-D I have ever seen.
               Not everything was eye-popping; much of it simply added some realistic
              depth.  If I had been the right age, it probably would have become my "Star
              Wars" or "Star Trek."  I am sure that it is for many people.  As it was, I
              enjoyed it a lot but don't feel a need to see it over and over.

              --
              Have fun!

              Roy DeRousse

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 ProgAndOther-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 ProgAndOther-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Refinance as low as 2.875%
              Most loans under $729K are eligible for Government Refinance Programs
              theeasyloansite.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

                > several Roger Dean album covers come to life, i sure hope he was
                > compensated for it.

                He wasn't. Didn't even get an "inspired by" credit.

                There were rumors floating around that Dean was going to sue
                James Cameron for ripping him off, but as far as I know nothing
                ever came of it.

                -- Bob
              • Roy DeRousse
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
                  progholio@... wrote:
                  > Avatar was absolutely the best 3-D movie i ever saw from the visual
                  > aspect, i agree with Roy, nothing too deep but still fun. I remember
                  > telling Connie when we saw this in the theatre that it was like
                  > watching several Roger Dean album covers come to life, i sure hope he
                  > was compensated for it.

                  He was not consulted nor was he compensated. Cameron claims that none of it
                  was intentional. Maybe not by him, but his Art Director surely must have
                  known about it!

                  Google "roger dean" avatar. There are a ton of sites out there that comment
                  and compare art. Here are some of them:

                  http://superherobabylon.blogspot.com/2009/12/avatarroger-dean-taste-test.html
                  http://blog.signalnoise.com/2010/01/06/avatar-vs-roger-dean/

                  --