Re: [ProgAndOther] The Joys of a Nearly Dead Format

  • progholio@juno.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
      there's no such thing as a bad kinks album, that palace springs is actually very good if you like hawkwind, court and spark pretty well speaks for itself.

      rich

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
        --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Roy DeRousse <roylayer@...> wrote:

        > > Alan Parsons Project - Stereotomy
        >
        > One of my all time favorites from them. Much more rockin' than
        > normal.

        I listened to bits and pieces of it as I played the tape into the
        computer for MP3 conversion. I liked the title track and the
        instrumental "Where's the Walrus" sounded interesting.

        > > Supertramp - Brother Where You Bound
        > A really nice album by the post-Roger Hodgson version of the band.
        > I like it a lot better than the previous album, Famous Last Words.

        I couldn't figure out how to split side 2 of the tape into
        individual songs, because the title track seems to end about
        three or four times, but the tape case only lists 2 songs on
        that side. So I had to look it up in Wikipedia and discovered
        that the title song is almost all of side 2. Looking forward
        to hearing that one.

        > > Greg Lake - Manoeuvers
        > I was extremely disappointed with this one. NOTHING at all like
        > anything I'd heard from him before. If you take it for what it
        > is, a bluesy hard rock album, it is not bad, but those are a dime
        > a dozen, IMO.

        Yeah, I started listening to the first song and turned the volume
        down to zero because it sounded pretty dire. When I flipped the
        tape I had the same reaction to the first song on side 2. With
        song titles like "Too Young to Love" and four other songs with
        "Love" in them, I wasn't expecting much, but wow, this sounds bad.

        > > Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin - Spin (still sealed!)
        > I like Stewart and Gaskin a lot, although I am a sucker for well
        > produced / written / arranged pop songs like these. Up from the
        > Dark is still my favorite album by them.

        That one's next on my conversion pile, but I'm really looking
        forward to hearing it. Can't believe it's still shrink-wrapped
        and I got it for less than a quarter.

        > > Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
        > > Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
        > Not much to say about those two. Both essential!

        Haven't heard the Hackett one yet but everyone says it's a
        classic. My friend the jazz bass player loaned me a CD of
        Herbie Hancock doing Joni Mitchell songs, so that's why I
        took a chance on Court and Spark - that's one of the few
        that I've listened to the whole way through, and I really
        liked it. I'll have to get some more of her stuff.

        > > and what I thought was a Victor Wooten solo album (but turns
        > > out to be a totally unrelated Wooten who sings R&B).
        >
        > Ouch! To be honest, a lot of his solo stuff is more conventional,
        > R&B type stuff anyway. I shy away from them.

        This was a tape by a group called the Wooton Brothers. I thought
        Victor must be involved (how many musical Wootons are there?),
        but it's just some generic R&B band with no connection to Victor
        (as far as I've been able to discover).

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, stevesly@... wrote:

          > Nice haul. I have a few of these:
          >
          > Alan Parsons - Vulture Culture: Not one of their best, but there
          > are a few good songs on it.

          I listened to most of side 1 as it was feeding into the computer,
          and it sounded pretty good.

          > Alan Parsons - Stereotomy: Underrated album for sure. Bob, I am
          > kind of guessing this one is not your thing, but I like a lot of it.

          I don't know why, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the
          Alan Parsons albums. Probably because they were some of the first
          "proggy" stuff I'd heard. A friend of mine in high school had
          "Turn of a Friendly Card" and insisted that I listen to it, which
          lead to me buying a greatest hits package, and the occasional
          album here and there. You're right - it's not the type of stuff
          I usually like, and a lot of the vocalists that Parsons used get
          on my nerves, but I like the instrumental stuff and some of the
          songs.

          > Supertramp - Free As A Bird: The complete opposite of BWYB. I
          > thought it was pretty dreadful.

          Yeah, I had never even heard of this album and wasn't even sure
          if it was the same band. From the little bit I've heard of it
          so far, it sounds like really generic 80s pop.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "progholio@..." <progholio@...> wrote:

            > there's no such thing as a bad kinks album,

            Those Kinks tapes were the first 2 that I transferred to MP3, so
            I've heard them both a couple times now. I really like "State of
            Confusion", and "UK Jive" wasn't bad either.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2011
              Mmmmm...........I don't know about that.  "Think Visual" was pretty bland.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                > I'm in the process of converting them to MP3

                Admitting this in some forums, people would say you were stealing music!! LOL, I think it's fine, and you got a bargain (of course, you could have downloaded most of it for free probably, but I'm sure the browsing was actually the most enjoyable part).
              • progholio@juno.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011
                  different strokes i suppose, i'll take a bland kinks album over a good greg lake solo album anytime :)

[...]

                  $65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
                  Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
                  Channel11NewsReport.com
                • Jared Levin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011

                    I had totally forgotten about Think Visual, but I now remember I bought this LP when it came out, and thought it was pretty good.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 23, 2011
                      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Jared Levin <jared.levin@...> wrote:

                      > > I'm in the process of converting them to MP3
                      >
                      > Admitting this in some forums, people would say you were stealing
                      > music!!

                      How do they figure? I paid for the tapes (granted, I only paid
                      about 17 cents per tape, but that's what the guy was charging).
                      I'm just making an MP3 "backup" of music I already own, which is
                      perfectly legal as far as I know.

                      Same as buying a used CD for $7 and putting it on an MP3 player.
                      It's not my fault no one wants cassettes anymore. :-)

                      -- Bob
                    • Jared Levin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 23, 2011

                        Actually, I was mistaken – what I was thinking of was when someone owns a CD, LP, or cassette, and they “illegally” download MP3s of the same album from the internet.

                        IMO that’s perfectly fine to do, and not really any different than ripping a CD you own, or making a cassette copy of an LP.

                        Anyway, enjoy the music!