PD weather

  • T. J. Higgins
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
      Weather for ProgDay looks good. High Friday is 98, yikes!
      Fortunately it is supposed to cool off by Saturday & Sunday,
      forecast high is 85 both days. Looks like Hurricane Earl
      will not spoil the fun. Really looking forward to the
      festival this year. See you there.

      T.J.
    • Jon P. Yarger (NJProghouse)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
        upcoming shows at the NJPROGHOUSE

        SEPTEMBER 10, 2010: PRESTER JOHN
        OCTOBER 2 ,2010: THE MAHAVISHNU PROJECT
        OCTOBER 16 ,2010: PIKTOR'S METAMORPHOSIS

        FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 10 , 2010: PRESTER JOHN

        DATE:Friday September 10, 2010
        TIME: 7:30p

        LOCATION: Rockn Joe
        3570 Rte 27
        Kendall Park, NJ 08824
        directions: http://tinyurl.com/rocknjoe

        COST:$10

        ARTIST WEBSITE:

        http://www.PersingerMusic.com
        http://www.ReverbNation.com/PresterJohn

        With a unique blend of acoustic folk, jazz, pop, bluegrass, funk and the avant-garde, New Haven, CT duo PRESTER JOHN has a sound that is entirely their own. Formed in 2008 by underground guitar-hero Shawn Persinger, Prester John also showcases the musical talents of David Miller on mandolin and vocals.

        Taylor Guitars' Wood and Steel once wrote, "Persinger has defined his career by playing hard-to-define music." One minute you're hearing a pop/rock song the next you're listening to music that could have been composed by Stravinsky or Frank Zappa. And certainly Prester John's
        authenticity is difficult to match; their bluegrass repertoire sounds straight out of Appalachia (no doubt due to Persinger's West Virginia roots) and their swing tunes recall the bygone days of The Hot Club of France.

        The PRESTER JOHN sound has developed over several years of Shawn's solo touring and performing (playing on 5 continents, in 34 countries and countless cities). With the addition of the extremely versatile David Miller the possibilities are endless.

        "This duo has started with a backlog of Shawn's songs but the future of our sound is wide open," says Miller. "We both have an interest in different types of music and we also have the ability to play many styles. Whether it's the simplicity of a two and four backbeat or the complexity of an atonal melody. Nothing is dismissed." It is that eclectic taste and skill that makes PRESTER JOHN a force to be reckoned with.

        SATURDAY OCTOBER 2 ,2010: THE MAHAVISHNU PROJECT

        DATE:Saturday October 2 , 2010
        TIME: 7:30p

        LOCATION: Rockn Joe
        3570 Rte 27
        Kendall Park, NJ 08824
        directions: http://tinyurl.com/rocknjoe

        COST:$20

        ARTIST WEBSITE:
        http://www.mahavishnuproject.com

        Gregg Bendian drums
        Glenn Alexander guitar
        Neil Alexander keyboards
        Peter Brendler bass

        MAHAPROJECT PLAYS THE MUSIC OF JEFF BECK
        from Wired, Blow by Blow, There & Back and more.

        SATURDAY OCTOBER 16 ,2010: PIKTOR'S METAMORPHOSIS

        DATE:Saturday October 16 , 2010
        TIME: 7:30p

        LOCATION: Rockn Joe
        3570 Rte 27
        Kendall Park, NJ 08824
        directions: http://tinyurl.com/rocknjoe

        COST:$10

        ARTIST WEBSITE:
        http://www.piktorsmetamorphosis.com

        Marc Stasio - Keyboards
        Monroe Quinn - Guitars
        Danny Pagan - Drums/percussion
        Brian Mooney - Double Bass & Electric basses

        Piktor's Metamorphosis began as a Jazz/Fusion/Prog concept group established in 2007 by bassist Brian Mooney along with remarkable keyboardist Marc Stasio. The idea was initially a tribute project to the great progressive Jazz/Symphonic Rock/Fusion music of David Sancious & Tone. The core trio was complete in 2008 when drummer Danny Pagan (Vernon Reid/Eddie Palmieri) joined Mooney and Stasio providing the dynamic propulsion this music demands. This amazingly creative music is challenging to cover - understandably a reason why many have not approached it.

        In 2010 rather than maintaining a single tribute concept, the group has pushed its own envelope to include tributes to the music of Return to Forever, Chick Corea, Mahavishnu Orchestra, McCoy Tyner, Joe Farrell, Pat Metheny, Stanley Clarke, and many others. Originally a trio, the guitar was recently added to the ensemble (Monroe Quinn) thus opening up additional possibilities. The Jazz/Rock/Fusion era's experimental creativity and musical virtuosity has brought us all much enjoyment. Piktor's Metamorphosis now seeks to recreate some of the magic as well as make some of their own.

        For the October 16th performance, tributes to the music of Return to Forever's: Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy & Romantic Warrior; David Sancious and Tone's: Forest of Feelings, Transformation, & True Stories; Chick Corea's: The Leprechaun; Mahavishnu Orchestra's Inner Worlds, and more…..

        New Jersey Proghouse
        http://www.njproghouse.com

      • Jon Byrne
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
          On 9/7/2010 3:27 PM, Jon P. Yarger (NJProghouse) wrote:

           (no doubt due to Persinger's West Virginia roots)

          No kidding?  I didn't know we could claim any prog luminaries, aside from a period where Fripp's guitar school decamped in the Eastern Panhandle.  Neat!
          --
          Jonathan Byrne

          My tunes: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=500546&T=760138
          My old blog: http://infinityranch.blogspot.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Jon Byrne <pylondodger@...> wrote:

            > On 9/7/2010 3:27 PM, Jon P. Yarger (NJProghouse) wrote:
            > >
            > > (no doubt due to Persinger's West Virginia roots)
            > >
            > No kidding? I didn't know we could claim any prog luminaries, aside
            > from a period where Fripp's guitar school decamped in the Eastern
            > Panhandle. Neat!

            When Boud Deun played ProgDay in '98, Shawn introduced the song
            "Burnsville" as being the name of the town in West Virgina where
            his dad lives. I'm guessing that's where he grew up.